or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Panic Button: Why am I suddenly out of ketosis??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panic Button: Why am I suddenly out of ketosis??

post #1 of 10
Hey guys:

Yesterday I had something different, sunflower seeds (packet said 4g carb
per packet, 1g sugar) and a sour pickle (accodring to the bucket it was in,
it said 3g carb, 1g sugar). Other than that, I had my usual stuff, and
today, I'm not in ketosis! Is this normal?

Is this in the faq?

Suzie (the newbie, still hanging at 257)
post #2 of 10

Re: Panic Button: Why am I suddenly out of ketosis??

You have serious problems. Now low carb will never work for you again!

--
Now piss off. You cannot possibly be this stupid and remember to
breathe. You must be trolling. -- Carmen

"Suzie Hall" <suzie@SPAMORIFICsuziehall.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys:
>
> Yesterday I had something different, sunflower seeds (packet said 4g carb
> per packet, 1g sugar) and a sour pickle (accodring to the bucket it was
> in,
> it said 3g carb, 1g sugar). Other than that, I had my usual stuff, and
> today, I'm not in ketosis! Is this normal?
>
> Is this in the faq?
>
> Suzie (the newbie, still hanging at 257)
post #3 of 10

On 24-Apr-2005, "JC Der Koenig" <jcderkoenig@ibm.com> wrote:

> You have serious problems. Now low carb will never work for you again!

Thanks for the sarcasm, I appreciate it -- now I feel much better!

Suzie
post #4 of 10

> On 24-Apr-2005, "JC Der Koenig" <jcderkoenig@ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> You have serious problems. Now low carb will never work for you again!

> Thanks for the sarcasm, I appreciate it -- now I feel much better!

Great. Now for a dose of reality. The state of being in ketosis is not as
important as positive progress. Weigh yourself, measure yourself, look at
yourself in the mirror with a discerning eye, eat less and exercise more.
post #5 of 10

Re: Panic Button: Why am I suddenly out of ketosis??

In article <426c3166$1_1@127.0.0.1>,
Suzie Hall (suzie@SPAMORIFICsuziehall.com wrote:

> Yesterday I had something different, sunflower seeds (packet said 4g carb
> per packet, 1g sugar) and a sour pickle (accodring to the bucket it was in,
> it said 3g carb, 1g sugar). Other than that, I had my usual stuff, and
> today, I'm not in ketosis! Is this normal?

If you're eating under 100 grams of carb a day, you're in ketosis.
Those urine strips simply show how hydrated you are. Dehydrated and
they'll show dark purple. Well hydrated and they will barely register.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

"Priscilla Ballou" <vze23t8n@verizon.net> wrote in message
> In article <426c3166$1_1@127.0.0.1>,
> Suzie Hall (suzie@SPAMORIFICsuziehall.com wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I had something different, sunflower seeds (packet said 4g carb
>> per packet, 1g sugar) and a sour pickle (accodring to the bucket it was
>> in,
>> it said 3g carb, 1g sugar). Other than that, I had my usual stuff, and
>> today, I'm not in ketosis! Is this normal?

> If you're eating under 100 grams of carb a day, you're in ketosis.
> Those urine strips simply show how hydrated you are. Dehydrated and
> they'll show dark purple. Well hydrated and they will barely register.

Uhm, would you like to back that up with some actual facts, or just
continue dreaming?
Not trying to be harsh, but wow, that's wrong.
Have a couple of muffins from the local coffee shop, along with a bagel
sandwich lunch, but don't drink any water or fluids all morning. It
definately will not show that you have ketones in your urine.

Mark
post #7 of 10

"Susan" <Susan@nothankyou.com> wrote in message
> Actually, in your scenario, your urine would be loaded with ketones dumped
> there by your body which would be using glucose and no longer needed the
> ketones.

This is assuming that you are coming out of ketosis and would not be the
case from doing as I stated. Merely being dehydrated does not create
ketones.

> It's completely accurate, as a matter of fact. Urinary ketones don't tell
> you if you're in ketosis or not. They won't show up, for example, if
> you've efficiently burned the ketones for fuel, rather than excreted
> excess ones.

Yes, I understand that the ketones can be diluted and, therefore, indicate a
lower concentration.

Mark
post #8 of 10

Re: Panic Button: Why am I suddenly out of ketosis??

In article <4T8be.34739$PA4.29439@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
"Mark McArthey" <werlax@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Priscilla Ballou" <vze23t8n@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > In article <426c3166$1_1@127.0.0.1>,
> > Suzie Hall (suzie@SPAMORIFICsuziehall.com wrote:
> >
> >> Yesterday I had something different, sunflower seeds (packet said 4g carb
> >> per packet, 1g sugar) and a sour pickle (accodring to the bucket it was
> >> in,
> >> it said 3g carb, 1g sugar). Other than that, I had my usual stuff, and
> >> today, I'm not in ketosis! Is this normal?

> > If you're eating under 100 grams of carb a day, you're in ketosis.
> > Those urine strips simply show how hydrated you are. Dehydrated and
> > they'll show dark purple. Well hydrated and they will barely register.
> >

> Uhm, would you like to back that up with some actual facts, or just
> continue dreaming?
> Not trying to be harsh, but wow, that's wrong.

Well, not. It's correct.

> Have a couple of muffins from the local coffee shop, along with a bagel
> sandwich lunch, but don't drink any water or fluids all morning. It
> definately will not show that you have ketones in your urine.

Of course it won't. That's a lot of carbs. You've got to eat under 100
grams of carb daily to stay in ketosis.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
post #9 of 10

Re: Panic Button: Why am I suddenly out of ketosis??

In article <YW9be.34746$PA4.24140@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
"Mark McArthey" <werlax@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Susan" <Susan@nothankyou.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, in your scenario, your urine would be loaded with ketones dumped
> > there by your body which would be using glucose and no longer needed the
> > ketones.
> >

> This is assuming that you are coming out of ketosis and would not be the
> case from doing as I stated. Merely being dehydrated does not create
> ketones.

Of course it doesn't. The strips won't show anything if you're not in
ketosis. The degree to which they register, however, is controlled by
your hydration level.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
post #10 of 10

Re: Panic Button: Why am I suddenly out of ketosis??

In article <R6fbe.13919$V02.9884@fe08.lga>,
warren <warren@optonline.net> wrote:

> So let me ask you this... if you drink a lot of water but eating zero
> carbs the chance that you show negative is still possible???

Of course. If your urine is sufficient diluted you'll get little or no
coloration on the stick.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition