Mavic 517's: Next step up durability-wise?

I put this up on Alt.Mountain-Bike and got a couple of hits in favor of Mavic 618's....

Any other suggestions? I'm locked into 32 spokes (Rohloff hubs...) and don't want to go too far
overboard on weight.

I've got two rear wheels built on Mavic 517's.

The older one (about 3 years...) is showing small cracks around most of the nipple holes and my
guess is that it's toast - or at least a walk-home-type failure looking for a place to happen.

On the newer one (< 6 months old), when I run my finger around the rim so that it just brushes each
nipple hole, I can feel very slight lumps around some of the holes.

Bottom line, it seems to me like me and the Mavic 517's are not a good match.

I'm about 210#, but I don't ride that aggressively and mostly ride FS. OTOH, I use disc brakes;
I've cracked one frame already; and my little Fox air shock's nitrogen part went south before it's
time and the rebuild didn't last a year before it started making funny sounds and I replaced it
with a coilover.

SO: What's my next logical move rim-wise? My FS already weighs too much (34 lbs...) so I don't want
to go nuts on rim weight....but the durability of what I have doesn't seem sufficient. MBA mag's
note to the effect that tubless rims will work with tubed tires - so why not go with tubless rims
just for the extra options available sounds tempting....

Or am I jumping to cause with the weight issue? Could it be something like too much spoke tension?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

i run both 517's and x618's on my main mountain bike, and they're disk. the only rim on which
i've had any problem is a silver 517 from about 3 or 4 years ago, and that was a standard
wheel, not disk.

bottom line, i'm your weight and the rim that's cracked is tensioned to ~1800N drive side rear. and
it's a drive side hole that's cracking. my disk wheels which are tensioned to mavic's spec of
1000/1100N have seen much more abuse and much longer service, and they're holding up just fine.
they're hard anodized.

if you're really worried, the x618's are double eyelet so have the potential to last better, but
you have a 450g vs. 395g weight penalty. my view is make sure you get a $50 park tensiometer and
build to spec.

jb

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> I put this up on Alt.Mountain-Bike and got a couple of hits in favor of Mavic 618's....
>
> Any other suggestions? I'm locked into 32 spokes (Rohloff hubs...) and don't want to go too far
> overboard on weight.

> I've got two rear wheels built on Mavic 517's.
>
> The older one (about 3 years...) is showing small cracks around most of the nipple holes and my
> guess is that it's toast - or at least a walk-home-type failure looking for a place to happen.
>
> On the newer one (< 6 months old), when I run my finger around the rim so that it just brushes
> each nipple hole, I can feel very slight lumps around some of the holes.
>
> Bottom line, it seems to me like me and the Mavic 517's are not a good match.
>
> I'm about 210#, but I don't ride that aggressively and mostly ride FS. OTOH, I use disc brakes;
> I've cracked one frame already; and my little Fox air shock's nitrogen part went south before it's
> time and the rebuild didn't last a year before it started making funny sounds and I replaced it
> with a coilover.
>

> SO: What's my next logical move rim-wise? My FS already weighs too much (34 lbs...) so I don't
> want to go nuts on rim weight....but the durability of what I have doesn't seem sufficient. MBA
> mag's note to the effect that tubless rims will work with tubed tires - so why not go with tubless
> rims just for the extra options available sounds tempting....
>
> Or am I jumping to cause with the weight issue? Could it be something like too much spoke tension?
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

pete-<< Any other suggestions? I'm locked into 32 spokes (Rohloff hubs...) and don't want to go too
far overboard on weight. >><BR><BR>

Velocity Synergy, Aeroheat or Cliffhanger-

RE/
> my disk wheels which are tensioned to mavic's spec of 1000/1100N

I broke down and bought a WheelSmith tensionometer.

Only problem is that it measures in kilograms.

Any idea what 1000N translates to in kg?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

RE/
>RE/
>> my disk wheels which are tensioned to mavic's spec of 1000/1100N
>
>I broke down and bought a WheelSmith tensionometer.
>
>Only problem is that it measures in kilograms.
>
>Any idea what 1000N translates to in kg?
>PeteCresswell

Oops! Just found it.

Conversion factor = 9.81
PeteCresswell