Unicon 2006- info online

sarah.miller

Guest
I took a look at the website for Unicon 2006 today. There is a lot more
info on there in English than when I looked last month. Worth checking
out if your even a little bit interested in unicycle competitions in
Europe next year.

http://tinyurl.com/826jb

It looks like there is also info in German and Danish with French
coming soon but I didn;t check those out. In english there is a
provisional timetable, info on facilities, some accomadation and
travel info and age group info. Also a load of pictures of facilities
and halls.
Thank you Unicon organisers for being so organised so soon.

Sarah

--
sarah.miller

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

maxisback wrote:
> Hey, Im doing a school project on the evlution of unicycling.. so I was
> wondering did unicon 1 have trials in it? and when was the first
> unicycle created ? I kno this is out of the thread but w/e

Unicon I (which was called "International Unicycling Convention") had no
Trials. Nobody would think of unicycle trials for over ten years. It
was all track racing, Freestyle, and basketball. There was no Standard
Skill (there might have been a compulsory artistic event) and nothing
on dirt. All competition events were held indoors and the convention
was three days long.

The first "competitive" Trials-ish event was held at the 1998
California Mountain Unicycle Weekend. It was very basic; a challenging
ride down a bumpy rock beach to Jenkinson Lake, then back up to the
starting point, with points off for dismounts.
http://www.unicycling.com/muni/muni98/compete.htm

The first "real" uni Trials competition I'm aware of was at the 1999
USA Convention in Washington. I had the honor of coming in second to
Kris Holm (it's been downhill for me ever since).

Side note: The first Street competition I know anything about was held
last year at the 2004 CA MUni Weekend at Lloyd Johnson's house. I heard
about a similar event held earlier in Conneticut, but I don't know
anything about that one.
http://www.unicycling.com/muni/2004/compete.htm

For your other question: Unicycles initially weren't "created." They
probably started out as penny-farthings with the back wheel up in the
air, and were followed by penny-farthings with the frame and rear wheel
removed. Only after that did people probably start custom-making actual
unicycles with seats instead of handlebars.

According to JeanPaul Jenack and/or old issues of the USA Newsletter
(Bill Jenack), the first commercially available unicycles were made in
the 1940s by Nissen, a company that I believe still makes gymnastic
equipment like balance beams and parallel bars.

Now to read up on Unicon 13! We've got a trip to Europe to plan!

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

UNICON is something -everyone- can attend and is the perfect excuse to
take a trip to Europe!

The latest I've heard is that registration and more information than
what is already available on the website will be lauched on November
15th or soon after.

UNICON is more than just competitons, it's a gathering of unicyclists
from all over the world, people that share the same passion. There are
going to be events planned that cover every aspect of the sport from
freestyle, racing, muni, trials, long distance and more.

I hope to see you all there!

--
Gilby
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:08:06 -0600, lleberg wrote:

>Since I'm from Sweden and Switzerland is pretty close.. i really have to
>go there!

Indeed, Sweden and Switzerland are right next to each other... in the
alphabet.

I'm planning to go too.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, *dit* diddle dit dit *dit* diddle dit dit, diddle-diddle-diddle-diddle-dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it,... - Spudman"

How exactly do you get in to the events for UNICON, i understand the
standard is pretty high, do you have to be referred, tested or qualify
somehow? I'd love to do the Muni but somehow I don't think I'll be
allowed.

--
kington99

Dave

kington99 wrote:
> How exactly do you get in to the events for UNICON, i understand the
> standard is pretty high, do you have to be referred, tested or qualify
> somehow? I'd love to do the Muni but somehow I don't think I'll be
> allowed.

The primary qualification is done by the thickness of your wallet. You
must be able to afford the cost of getting to Switzerland and staying
there for eleven days :)

We based our budget on the guess that we will be having around 800
unicyclists from all over the world in Switzerland next summer.
Although the available lodging is quite a bit larger.

If we get too many registrations we might start thinking about limiting
the number of people for certain events. If we limit the number, we
will distribute competition places on a first come first serve base. So
it is certainly a good idea to register early for UNICON XIII.

Registration is now planned to open up mid of December.

Best wishes,
Franz Brandl --- Webmaster 'www.unicon13.ch/' (http://www.unicon13.ch/)

--
bbraf
bbraf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/404

kington99 wrote:
> How exactly do you get in to the events for UNICON, i understand the
> standard is pretty high, do you have to be referred, tested or qualify
> somehow? I'd love to do the Muni but somehow I don't think I'll be
> allowed.

Dave,

What you do to get into the events is to register. As far as I am
aware, selection is not based on nationality, gender, race, creed or
skill-level. If you want to enter, then enter.

Long may UNICON uphold the olympic ideal that gave us Eddie The Eagle
and Eric The Eel !! :D

Chris

--
munidobs
munidobs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8790

New rules for Freestyle limit the number of entrants in the Jr. Expert
and Expert categories for those events only. These rules have not yet
been accepted by the Unicon 13 organizers, so it is not yet known if
they will be used. But you will know if you're really good at Freestyle
or not, and if not you don't have to worry. As mentioned above, unless
huge numbers of people register to participate, there are no minimum
requirements for the other events, and they are open to all. Just
register early.

So I would list the requirements, in no order, something like this:

- Read: The web site and IUF Rulebook will answer most of your
questions
- Save up: It's a big convention so you'll want to stay for all or most
of it
- Register: The organizers need your data, and your payment, to set
things up!
- Practice: This is optional, but you get a lot more out of it if you
train
- Prepare: It's more fun if you bring everything you need
- Prepare for an onslaught of T-shirts: We unicyclists are nuts
about T-shirts. Be prepared to buy, sell and/or trade them!
- Show up
- Remember where you are: It's not the Olympics. The budget is small,
and everything is run by volunteers. You can help!
- Interact, have fun, and learn: It's the best unicycling school and
motivator in the world!

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

lleberg wrote:
> How much does it cost to be at unicon?
> Except for the trip there and back again of course..
>
> Is food and shelter for night included in that? :)

READ the unicon website
http://www.unicon13.ch

get the information direct from the organisers.

Sarah

--
sarah.miller

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

*Alegra, buon giorno, gruezi, bonjour* [the 4 ways to say good day in
switzerland]

here are some news for you concerning the upcoming UNICON XIII in
Switzerland.

We have put together an *invitation packet* containing several short
documents that cover the most important facts about the 13th unicycle
world championships.

You find this information at http://www.unicon13.ch/invitation-packet/

Please share this information about UNICON XIII with unicyclists in
your area.

Best wishes,
Franz Brandl
---
--- Member of the organizing commitee of UNICON XIII and
--- Webmaster http://www.unicon13.ch/
---

--
bbraf
bbraf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/404

And are you allowed to use guni's in the marathon? Because then I'll
deffinatly need 1mm cranks for my coker :| Anyone have a clue?

--
DustinMichels

Biologically speaking, if something bites you it's more likely to be
female. - Desmond Morris

If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie. -
Rask

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

Then again, cokers arn't allowed in the limited category, are they? I
think I read the max is 24" there?

--
DustinMichels

Biologically speaking, if something bites you it's more likely to be
female. - Desmond Morris

If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie. -
Rask

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

That's correct, Cokers are only allowed in the Unlimited category, which
means that Coker riders and GUni riders will compete with each other.

If the races were on a decent, flat road with no bumps, I would
probably bet my money on the GUni riders. But neither the 10km nor the
marathon will be run in such an artifical environment. So expect some
hills and country roads and then it is not as simple as GUni good ---
Coker bad.

Regards,
Franz

--

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:28:03 -0600, bbraf wrote:

>expect some
>hills and country roads

Like DustinMichels I'm too laze to look it up on the website. :) Are
the itineraries for the 10 km and the marathon already published?
Since I am not determined enough to reconnaitre (SP) them beforehand,
a height profile on the website would be nice. Most modern GSP units
can make one for you while you drive or ride the route.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

Klaas Bil wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:28:03 -0600, bbraf wrote:
>
> >expect some
> >hills and country roads

> Like DustinMichels I'm too laze to look it up on the website. :) Are
> the itineraries for the 10 km and the marathon already published?

We're sortof in the same boat ... you are to lazy too look it up and
me, I am too lazy to publish it on our websites :p

No, just kidding. At the time being we are busily collecting all the
final details to switch on online registration by mid of december.
Expect to see details about routes etc. no earlier than April 2006.
There are too many other issues that need our attention beforehand.
We're only a very small team setting UNICON XIII up.

Best wishes,
Franz