Flaking paint on dropout

Paul

Guest
I have a rigid steel fork on my mountain bike and today I noticed that the paint on the inside of
the fork dropout opposite the QR lever side, is flaking badly - the varnish and several layers of
paint seem to be flaking away. The damage is occuring around where the nut (locknut?) pushes against
the inside of the dropout when the QR is engaged. The same area on the other side (QR lever side) is
undamaged.

Is this cause for concern or just the result of use? I could paint a bit of car lacquer on to
protect the area but I would imagine that this would just crack away as well.

Many thanks for any info.

With Kind Regards, Paul

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a rigid steel fork on my mountain bike and today I noticed that the paint on the inside of
> the fork dropout opposite the QR lever side, is flaking badly - the varnish and several layers of
> paint seem to be flaking away. The damage is occuring around where the nut (locknut?) pushes
against
> the inside of the dropout when the QR is engaged. The same area on the
other
> side (QR lever side) is undamaged.
>
> Is this cause for concern or just the result of use? I could paint a bit
of
> car lacquer on to protect the area but I would imagine that this would
just
> crack away as well.
>
> Many thanks for any info.
>
> With Kind Regards, Paul

Do you have disk brakes? If so, there may be cause for concern as Mr. James Annan has researched
carefully. If not, it's just the usual wear and tear of bicycle use. It's actually better to have no
paint there are you get a more secure QR puchase if it's metal on metal. Not a big deal.

Cheers,

Scott..

Thanks, no I don't have disc brakes, just normal Vs.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

Kind Regards, Paul.