New Chain?

Hell and High Water

Guest
I've purchased a new Cannondale crankset, and new Shimano octalink BB.

I'll be taking them to the LBS to be installed later this week.

In the meantime, I was wondering about the remaining 'old parts.'

I'm thinking about getting a new chain, as well as a new rear cog-set.
(I've currently got an old 7-cog on the back. No idea about brand or
type.)

My thinking is that as long as I'm getting shiny new parts in the front,
I might as well get a nice new chain at least.

Does this make any sense? The bike is quite old, and the chain and rear
cogs are quite dirty. I suspect some of this dirt is actually rust....

Any suggestions on chain?

Any thoughts on new cogs at the back? Can I go to 9 or 10? and what
other expenses would I incur in making that change?

(I have a feeling I'll get the Crankset and BB installed, buy a decent
new chain, then leave the rear cogs to save myself some major hassle...)

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Bianchi Bob

Hell and High Water wrote:
> I've purchased a new Cannondale crankset, and new Shimano octalink BB.
>
> I'll be taking them to the LBS to be installed later this week.
>
> In the meantime, I was wondering about the remaining 'old parts.'
>

> I'm thinking about getting a new chain, as well as a new rear cog-set.
> (I've currently got an old 7-cog on the back. No idea about brand or
> type.)
>
> My thinking is that as long as I'm getting shiny new parts in the front,
> I might as well get a nice new chain at least.
>
> Does this make any sense? The bike is quite old, and the chain and rear
> cogs are quite dirty. I suspect some of this dirt is actually rust....
>

> Any suggestions on chain?
>
> Any thoughts on new cogs at the back? Can I go to 9 or 10? and what
> other expenses would I incur in making that change?
>

> (I have a feeling I'll get the Crankset and BB installed, buy a decent
> new chain, then leave the rear cogs to save myself some major hassle...)

Rear cogs: if the cogs have significant wear, then they should be
replaced. No sense in running a good chain on worn cogs - just a
recipe for problems.

As far a 9-10 speed, likely not, at least not without quite a few more
new parts. The issues are:

1) rear triangle spacing. Most old 7 sp were 126mm OLN, 9 and 10
are 130 for road, 135 for mountain/touring. Might need to have the
triangle spread wider.

2) Do you have a freehub or freewheel? Freehub of the correct width
(see #1) would be OK for 9 sp, some 10 sp (not Dura-Ace), but if your 7
sp. is a freewheel you will need a new rear hub. Other spacing issues
with a narrow freehub body.

3) Shifter - can the right one pull enough cable to handle 9/10 sp?

Were it me, I would enjoy the new BB/crank and definitely put on a new
chain. More cogs in the back will not give you more range, in all
likelihood, just smaller steps between and unless you are a competitive
racer it is not all that important.

- rick

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Were it me, I would enjoy the new BB/crank and definitely put on a new
> chain. More cogs in the back will not give you more range, in all
> likelihood, just smaller steps between and unless you are a competitive
> racer it is not all that important.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Will I need a special chain? or are they all similar?

Also, I don't have any crank bolts. Are those fairly available for the
Shimano 6500 BB?

Recommend a good brand of chain?

THANKS!!!

-Bob