An Explanation of Cancer...

Dave Wickware

Guest
By applying the principles of anthroposophical medicine, Peter Hinderberger,
M.D., Ph.D., has proposed an explanation of cancer that includes both
spiritual and physical aspects. Today when most people are touched by both
spiritual awakening and cancer, ideas such as these deserve our attention.

This article is based in part on the remarks of Dr. Hinderberger, who was
keynote speaker at the 1996 Mid-Atlantic Biodynamic Conference on October 4,
1996. The assistance of Dr. Hinderberger in the preparation of this article
is gratefully acknowledged.

***

In western medicine there is a growing awareness of the connection between
thoughts, emotions, and physical health. Stress is now recognized as a
contributor to disease, and mind- body techniques are routinely employed by
patients seeking recovery as well as athletes seeking the highest level of
performance.

Currently, western medicine is unable to explain why non-physical techniques
such as visualization are effective -- even though most open-minded
practitioners of western medicine will admit they often work. This is
because western medicine is the only medical care system in the world that
does not include energy bodies in its approach to health. All other systems
recognize that growth and balance in the physical body is preceded or
conditioned by growth and balance in the non-physical or energy bodies.

To gain a spiritual understanding of cancer, a disease which continues to
respond inconsistently to western medical treatment, one must consider the
complete anatomy of man -- not just the dense physical body. The energy body
most similar to the physical body is called the "vital body" (sometimes
referred to as the "etheric body"). It surrounds and permeates the physical
body. The vital body is the medium through which the life force flows,
corresponding to flows of nutrients and fluids in the physical body. The
vital body also contains the blueprint for physical growth that is required
as new cells replace old ones. It has been estimated that each cell in the
human body cycles through death and replacement several times in a single
lifetime. Without a blueprint, how else could this work?

Next further removed from the physical body is the "soul body" (or "astral")
and beyond that, the "spiritual body" (or "mental"). In these energy bodies
our thoughts, aspirations, and emotions are formed and expressed.

To understand cancer, we must first examine what constitutes healthy growth,
in both the physical and non-physical realms. To begin with the physical,
Dr. Hinderberger explains the rules of healthy cell growth like this:

First, each new cell created must be identical in form and function to the
parent cell.

Second, each new cell created must take its place within the local tissue.

For example, a cell formed by mitosis of a liver cell, must become a liver
cell. In addition, the new cell must remain in the liver, rather than
traveling elsewhere in the body. Only then can the liver remain healthy and
continue to function as its individual cells cycle through death and
replacement. Let's refer to these rules of healthy cell growth as the
conformance principle.

In the physical body, cancer occurs when otherwise normal cells break the
established pattern (the conformance principle) by changing into something
different than their parent cells, or by traveling around on their own.

Now let's consider what constitutes healthy growth in the non-physical
realm. Based on the philosophy of Rudolf Steiner and others, Dr.
Hinderberger explains four rules of healthy spiritual growth:

First, that incarnation of a human soul into a physical body is an
intentional, guided process which precedes conception, pregnancy and birth.

Second, that the purpose of human incarnation is to experience physical life
and to perform good deeds for oneself and for the community at large.

Third, that we are blessed with talent and support from the spiritual
hierarchy to perform these good deeds in a unique and excellent way.

Fourth, that we forget all of the above very soon after birth.

The wonder of human experience is that we find our own way to these
spiritual truths, in many cases without conscious knowledge or awareness.
While we are young, our thoughts, deeds, and actions are shaped and guided
by our parents. We strive to emulate them, and through the conformance
principle we learn from their experiences.

However, the older we get, the more we feel compelled to find our own path,
to experience new things, to contribute to positive change in the world.
These aspirations reflect the stirring of spirit, and inner realization of
our spiritual purpose. In order to achieve our spiritual goal, we must have
freedom of thought and emotion. We must be willing to break away from
established patterns of society and express our unique talents and
abilities. The need for mental and emotional freedom is a paramount
condition of healthy spiritual growth. Let's refer to this condition as the
freedom principle.

Take a moment to review what we have just learned about the physical and
spiritual aspects of healthy growth. In the physical body, the conformance
principle is important, because it allows for healthy cellular growth. In
the energy bodies, the freedom principle is important, because it allows for
healthy spiritual growth.

Imagine what might happen when an individual passes through adult life while
repressing the freedom principle. For one reason or another, he feels bound
to roles and patterns defined by his parent's generation. He accepts the
conditions and limitations that are encountered, rather than taking
responsibility to press ahead and create new experiences. When major changes
occur, he feels uncomfortable and tries to preserve old, familiar ways.

From a spiritual perspective, we might conclude that this individual is not
allowing himself the freedom to find his unique path in life. Instead, this
person remains bound by circumstances or old patterns. Progress toward his
spiritual goal is much slower than it could be. The result is a frustration
of his higher self, or spiritual consciousness.

After years of frustration, the freedom principle is forced down through his
energy bodies and finds expression in his physical body. Otherwise healthy
cells begin to express freedom by breaking the established patterns of their
parent cells. Expression of freedom at the cellular level is the beginning
of cancer. Over time, enough of these rebellious cells accumulate into a
condition diagnosed as cancer.

What happens next can vary, depending on the choices and treatments
available to individual patients. Many who survive cancer report that it
changed their lives. Many survivors enjoy new levels of freedom and
activity, breaking old patterns that previously confined them. Spiritual
growth in these individuals is vibrant. In such cases, the higher self
triumphed by using a physical disease to free the individual from
restricting conditions in the spiritual, soul, and vital bodies.

With the understanding that cancer is a condition of the energetic,
non-physical bodies, as well as the physical, we can begin to look for
treatments that are balanced in both realms, energetic as well as physical.
Dr Hinderberger employs anthroposophic treatments for cancer that include
homeopathy, eurhythmy (dance therapy), rhythmic massage, art, and color
therapy. This approach encompasses the whole individual, and can lead from a
physical and spiritual diagnosis to healing at the source.

In our personal lives, it is often hard to view illness and death in the
broader context of spiritual development. Yet these conditions are often
employed to promote spiritual growth in ourselves and in those we love. In
these times of transformation, we are encouraged to become intentional about
our own evolution. A spiritual understanding of cancer, and of the energetic
treatments available, is a valuable step forward to be taken with courage,
open mind, and open heart.

>Subject: An Explanation of Cancer...
>From: "Dave Wickware" [email protected]
>Date: 4/19/04 9:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>To begin with the physical,
>Dr. Hinderberger explains the rules of healthy cell growth like this:

>First, each new cell created must be identical in form and function to the
>parent cell.

This is correct for health. However, radiation and certain chemicals like
antibiotics can cut, destroy, and change the DNA into something we do not want.

>Second, each new cell created must take its place within the local tissue.

This is also true. Skin cells are formed as skin cells, liver cells are formed
as liver cells. The old cells die, are absorbed, and the new cell takes the
old cell's place.
We get a new body about every 7 years via this replacement process.

>For example, a cell formed by mitosis of a liver cell, must become a liver
>cell. In addition, the new cell must remain in the liver, rather than
>traveling elsewhere in the body.

Now just why would a liver cell want or need to travel to the feet, for
example. What is the motivation? Why would the cell ignore its internal
programming? And the really biggie, just how in the h*** can a cell with no
means of movement begin to move?

>Only then can the liver remain healthy and
>continue to function as its individual cells cycle through death and
>replacement. Let's refer to these rules of healthy cell growth as the
>conformance principle.

I can agree with that.

>In the physical body, cancer occurs when otherwise normal cells break the
>established pattern (the conformance principle) by changing into something
>different than their parent cells,

The cells absolutely cannot chage into different cells than their parent cells.
The cells live via oxidative metabolism. If the body becomes so toxic and
polluted that the cells cannot conduct life as normal, they can and will then
change into cells that conduct the life process via fermentation...It is called
survival. This is the normal progression of the formation of natural cancers,
but not induced cancers. The cells are there to perform their function and
keep the body alive. If the cells cannot survive in their polluted environment
and provide their normal bodily functions, they will, out of necessisty and as
the only to to live, convert to so called cancer cells.

>or by traveling around on their own.

Do they have boats, airplanes, cars, tails, or what? Just how can and how do
they do this fantastic feat?

DrC PhD

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Drceephd1) wrote:

> Skin cells are formed as skin cells, liver cells are
> formed
> as liver cells. The old cells die, are absorbed, and the new cell takes the
> old cell's place.
> We get a new body about every 7 years via this replacement process.

Too bad you don't get a new brain as well (neurons don't replicate
anymore after childhood).

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
| inconvenience me with questions?"

Oh Goody! A new body every seven years (sounds almost Biblical).

I really want to see Joe Montana quarterback the SF 49ers again. I
guess with his "new body", it should work out.

>Subject: Re: An Explanation of Cancer...
>From: Orac [email protected]
>Date: 4/19/04 8:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>Too bad you don't get a new brain as well (neurons don't replicate
>anymore after childhood).

That is the general consensus of thought, but I think more current research has
put this into doubt.

DrC PhD

>Subject: Re: An Explanation of Cancer...
>From: [email protected]
>Date: 4/19/04 9:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>

>Oh Goody! A new body every seven years (sounds almost Biblical).
>
>I really want to see Joe Montana quarterback the SF 49ers again. I
>guess with his "new body", it should work out.

Well, so would I. I really liked Joe and still do.

However, if the cells are given inferior building materials ( meaning poor and
inadequate nutrition ) and the buildup of toxemia is not relieved, what you get
are sicker and weaker cells surrounded by more and more poisons and toxins.

The general term for this is aging.

DrC PhD

In article <[email protected]>,
Drceephd1 <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Subject: Re: An Explanation of Cancer...
>>From: [email protected]
>>Date: 4/19/04 9:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>>

>>Oh Goody! A new body every seven years (sounds almost Biblical).
>>
>>I really want to see Joe Montana quarterback the SF 49ers again. I
>>guess with his "new body", it should work out.

>Well, so would I. I really liked Joe and still do.
>
>However, if the cells are given inferior building materials ( meaning poor and
>inadequate nutrition ) and the buildup of toxemia is not relieved, what you get
>are sicker and weaker cells surrounded by more and more poisons and toxins.
>
>The general term for this is aging.

But, since Chalupa Chuck is master of all he surveys, he will not age
and will thus live forever (barring accident).

Yeah, right.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)