RR: TOH 2003

Carla A-G

Guest
Roadie Ride: Tour of the Hamptons 2003 century ride.

Jim, myself and a few of our hundreds of roadie friends showed up for the ride. Frankie Froglegs
couldn't make it, he was at the 24 Hours of Allamuchy in New jersey. It started in the Hamptons and
looped around Montauk. We took off. The start-off times were spread out so as to not cause too much
congestion with the amount of riders.

We could not have asked for better weather. It was simply gorgeous. Perfect for a lung busting, long
haul ride. The route was beautiful. Riding along the seaside, through the rural areas and farmlands,
barely any motor vehicles to bother the riders. Many of the other riders rode together in a peloton
in order to try to beat the wind. Jim and I decided to stick together, we were a peloton of 2. We
weren't in any rush, neither was this a race. They had rest stops every 30 miles or so. We took
advantage of whatever stops we could make.

Near the end, it started to get hilly. After all that riding, they threw in the hills at the end,
just to beat the living **** out of you, in case you had not already been beaten. We got passed by
many riders along way and we passed many other ones too. We suffered, so did everyone else. It was
one great big suffering party of roadies.

We completed the Tour. We had heard of only one incident where someone had crashed but we didn't
know the details. It was high-fives all around and watermelon for everyone...

Jim and I got home and passed out with exhaustion.

The next century comes in a couple of weeks...Tour of the Golden Apple, in Westchester. A ***** of a
hilly century. I can't wait...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> Roadie Ride: Tour of the Hamptons 2003 century ride.
>
> Jim, myself and a few of our hundreds of roadie friends showed up for the ride. Frankie Froglegs
> couldn't make it, he was at the 24 Hours of
Allamuchy
> in New jersey. It started in the Hamptons and looped around Montauk. We
took
> off. The start-off times were spread out so as to not cause too much congestion with the amount
> of riders.
>
> We could not have asked for better weather. It was simply gorgeous.
Perfect
> for a lung busting, long haul ride. The route was beautiful. Riding along the seaside, through the
> rural areas and farmlands, barely any motor vehicles to bother the riders. Many of the other
> riders rode together in a peloton in order to try to beat the wind. Jim and I decided to stick
> together, we were a peloton of 2. We weren't in any rush, neither was this
> race. They had rest stops every 30 miles or so. We took advantage of whatever stops we could make.
>
> Near the end, it started to get hilly. After all that riding, they threw
in
> the hills at the end, just to beat the living **** out of you, in case you had not already been
> beaten. We got passed by many riders along way and we passed many other ones too. We suffered, so
> did everyone else. It was one great big suffering party of roadies.
>
> We completed the Tour. We had heard of only one incident where someone had crashed but we didn't
> know the details. It was high-fives all around and watermelon for everyone...
>
> Jim and I got home and passed out with exhaustion.
>
> The next century comes in a couple of weeks...Tour of the Golden Apple, in Westchester. A ***** of
> a hilly century. I can't wait...

This might just inspire me to do the "Sierra Century" in a few weeks. Only problems are that it's at
altitude, has a fair amount of climbing, AND I haven't really trained for it (roadie scum for all of
a month now). But why should I let THOSE little factors stop me? :)

Bill "if I can get a good 60+ miler in before then..." S.

<Originally posted by Sorni

Bill "if I can get a good 60+ miler in before then..." S.

If you can do 60 you can do 100... it will just hurt a leetle bit more

Jimbo...dead legs...(san)

"Jimbo (san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <Originally posted by Sorni
>
> Bill "if I can get a good 60+ miler in before then..." S.
>
> If you can do 60 you can do 100... it will just hurt a leetle bit more

Right. Same as when I was training for a marathon years ago. Rule was if you could run 18 or so you
could do 26. Only problem is I haven't gone longer than ~45 yet! (But it was a HARD 45 -- Palomar
Mountain.)

I definitely plan to do a few C's -- just don't know about doing first one so soon AND out
of the area.

Bill "we'll see" S.

Bill Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:59:58 -0400, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Roadie Ride: Tour of the Hamptons 2003 century ride.
>
> [snip nice RR]
>
> I've been putting in 40's and 50's weekly on the road. Don't have time for a century this year but
> maybe next year.
>
> Good to see a Roadie RR every now and then.
>
> Peace, Bill
>
> The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
> give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]
sort your clock out future boy ! :)
Chris Moore is a ******!