Re: Racketeering in Medicine: The Suppression of Alternatives

Cheerful Pickle

Guest
On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:01:54 -0700, Ilena Rose wrote:

> Racketeering in Medicine boldly reveals what still happens to doctors,
> even in these modern times, who dare to seek and use knowledge which has
> not been sanctioned by the American Medical Association or approved by
> the Federal Drug Administration. It uncovers how effective treatments
> for cancer, heart disease and AIDS are being suppressed in the name of
> profit or special interest. Dr. Carter deals with many aspects of the
> problem, including the role of the FDA, the insurance companies, the
> drug companies, the battle of the chelation doctors, legal battles,
> transcripts and much more.

Hi, Ilena,

I have quite a few problems with so-called "alternative medicines," as you
seem to support. Yes, there are problems, even racketeering in
conventional medicine, but you can say the same is true, and even worse,
with alternative medicines.

When I go to the doctor, I want a proven treatment, one that has been
proven to be safe and effective by studies using strictly established
scientific methodologies to determine safety and effectiveness. I do not
want a doctor to experiment with me by using unproven treatments, unless,
of course, it is the last resort.

Most alternative medicine practitioners do just that, they practice and
experiment on all their patients, since they almost always lack proof that
their treatments work. Their attitude seems to be, "Well, this worked on
Joe, let's see if it works on Andy." How do they know it worked on Joe
just because he recovered around the same time they treated him that way?
There are a zillion other things that could have happened, up to and
including spontaneous remission.

There is also considerable racketeering in alternative medicine. Almost
every herb on the market, for instance, has had at least one completely
unsubstantiated and even absurd claim made about it at some point in its
history. Even the Bayer Company (famous for its aspirins) once marketed
heroin as a cure all. Right!!! That was nothing but exploiting an
addictive drug for profit.

One of the most outrageous forms of medical fraud today somehow is done
legally (why, I do not know). That is in the form of alternative
"medicine" called homeopathy. These con men claim that if twenty-five
milligrams of a particular herb in five milliliters of water is
beneficial, then if you dissolve the same twenty-five milligrams of that
herb in fifty liters (not milliliters) and then divided up into 10,000
doses each dose is even more effective. Only the truly gullible would
fall for anything that utterly preposterous. If that is alternative
medicine, give me nothing to do with it. When you water something down
that much you destroy any possibility of it being effective, you do not
increase its effectiveness. Anyone who believe otherwise is a fool with a
swindler for a "doctor."

--
Andy Rugg -- The Cheerful Pickle
To email me, please remove "POSTHEAP" from my return address. Thanks.