New Tyres

A5hi5M

Guest
Hey guys,

Getting to the point where ill prolly upgrade the stock tyres that came with
my OCR Zero. I'm still using the standard wheels also at the moment,
however I'll more than likely look at upgrading them in the near future. I
was wondering about Conti GP3000's (or maybe some 4000's), however a couple
of people who I know who have been cycling for a long time wrinkled their
noses a little at the conti's .. Another option would be Michelin pro 2's ..
Most of my riding so far has been casual 20-100km rides, doing
100-250km/week

Anyone got any suggestions/feedback regarding this?

Thanks
Ash

A5hi5M said:
Hey guys,

Getting to the point where ill prolly upgrade the stock tyres that came with
my OCR Zero. I'm still using the standard wheels also at the moment,
however I'll more than likely look at upgrading them in the near future. I
was wondering about Conti GP3000's (or maybe some 4000's), however a couple
of people who I know who have been cycling for a long time wrinkled their
noses a little at the conti's .. Another option would be Michelin pro 2's ..
Most of my riding so far has been casual 20-100km rides, doing
100-250km/week

Anyone got any suggestions/feedback regarding this?

Thanks
Ash
hi

just road riding? or are you going to compete too?

incidentally i am about to try some vredestein tricomp this weekend - will see how i go.

"endroll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A5hi5M Wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> Getting to the point where ill prolly upgrade the stock tyres that came
>> with
>> my OCR Zero. I'm still using the standard wheels also at the moment,
>> however I'll more than likely look at upgrading them in the near
>> future. I
>> was wondering about Conti GP3000's (or maybe some 4000's), however a
>> couple
>> of people who I know who have been cycling for a long time wrinkled
>> their
>> noses a little at the conti's .. Another option would be Michelin pro
>> 2's ..
>> Most of my riding so far has been casual 20-100km rides, doing
>> 100-250km/week
>>
>> Anyone got any suggestions/feedback regarding this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ash

> hi
>
> just road riding? or are you going to compete too?
>
> incidentally i am about to try some vredestein tricomp this weekend -
> will see how i go.
>

> --
> endroll

At the moment ill prolly stay road riding .. being that I have only been
riding for less than 3 months. Reading a lot here tho has got me wondering
about looking into joining a CC and seeing what thats all about.

Ash

A5hi5M said:
"endroll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A5hi5M Wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> Getting to the point where ill prolly upgrade the stock tyres that came
>> with
>> my OCR Zero. I'm still using the standard wheels also at the moment,
>> however I'll more than likely look at upgrading them in the near
>> future. I
>> was wondering about Conti GP3000's (or maybe some 4000's), however a
>> couple
>> of people who I know who have been cycling for a long time wrinkled
>> their
>> noses a little at the conti's .. Another option would be Michelin pro
>> 2's ..
>> Most of my riding so far has been casual 20-100km rides, doing
>> 100-250km/week
>>
>> Anyone got any suggestions/feedback regarding this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ash

> hi
>
> just road riding? or are you going to compete too?
>
> incidentally i am about to try some vredestein tricomp this weekend -
> will see how i go.
>

> --
> endroll

At the moment ill prolly stay road riding .. being that I have only been
riding for less than 3 months. Reading a lot here tho has got me wondering
about looking into joining a CC and seeing what thats all about.

Ash

I'm using Bontrager RaceLites - the cheap ones. They have a kevlar bead and are about $50 each. They tend to cut a little too easy for my liking, but that's 'cos I try to get them to last a looong time between changes. I've found that they go fine for club racing as well.

Ritch

ritcho said:
I'm using Bontrager RaceLites - the cheap ones. They have a kevlar bead and are about $50 each. They tend to cut a little too easy for my liking, but that's 'cos I try to get them to last a looong time between changes. I've found that they go fine for club racing as well.

Ritch

Conti 3000's came on my last bike, I put in just of 6000k's including racing b4 I got my first flat, took them off at that point.

They are not true racing tyres but are pretty good.

Have always loved contis but got sick of the brown ones blowing out sidewalls. Most of my training is now on conti gatorskins which are also very flat resistant/long lasting/good feeling.

PiledHigher wrote:
> ritcho Wrote:
>
>>I'm using Bontrager RaceLites - the cheap ones. They have a kevlar bead
>>and are about $50 each. They tend to cut a little too easy for my
>>liking, but that's 'cos I try to get them to last a looong time between
>>changes. I've found that they go fine for club racing as well.
>>
>>Ritch

> Conti 3000's came on my last bike, I put in just of 6000k's including
> racing b4 I got my first flat, took them off at that point.
>
> They are not true racing tyres but are pretty good.
>
> Have always loved contis but got sick of the brown ones blowing out
> sidewalls. Most of my training is now on conti gatorskins which are
> also very flat resistant/long lasting/good feeling.

I've been using Conti GP 'S' for a couple of years now. Not a race tyre
but plenty of grip for normal riding and good wear. And, they cost ~$60
for a pair from CW.

And they are all black so they go with any colour scheme :)

--
Nick

PiledHigher wrote:
> Have always loved contis but got sick of the brown ones blowing out
> sidewalls. Most of my training is now on conti gatorskins which are
> also very flat resistant/long lasting/good feeling.

I've heard mixed things about them, but given the number of flats
i've had in recent months - more patch than tube - been looking to
move to something a little more resilient that the conti ultrasports.

picking up a lot more rubbish off the road around the new office.
lotsa tradies utes parking around so glass, spring steel bristles,
you know the fund stuff =|

anyhow, one thing i've been thinking about is can i put the
700x28c gatorskin on my 700x25c rims?

whats the profile like? are they any taller than the 700x25c?

also whats the wet handling like?

cheers,

Kim

Kim Hawtin said:
PiledHigher wrote:
> Have always loved contis but got sick of the brown ones blowing out
> sidewalls. Most of my training is now on conti gatorskins which are
> also very flat resistant/long lasting/good feeling.

I've heard mixed things about them, but given the number of flats
i've had in recent months - more patch than tube - been looking to
move to something a little more resilient that the conti ultrasports.

picking up a lot more rubbish off the road around the new office.
lotsa tradies utes parking around so glass, spring steel bristles,
you know the fund stuff =|

anyhow, one thing i've been thinking about is can i put the
700x28c gatorskin on my 700x25c rims?

whats the profile like? are they any taller than the 700x25c?

also whats the wet handling like?

cheers,

Kim

Wet handling seems fine to me, they have no tread so if you believe in tread then you won't like them. They are slick with small side water sheding cuts.

Gatorskins have kevlar in the tread and seem to protect well, I pulled a chunk of glass out of one pair yesterday morning that had stuck in but not penetrated.

You should be able to put 700x28's on, the sticking point on most road bikes is the brakes.

> Getting to the point where ill prolly upgrade the stock tyres that came
> with
> my OCR Zero. I'm still using the standard wheels also at the moment,
> however I'll more than likely look at upgrading them in the near future.
> I was wondering about Conti GP3000's (or maybe some 4000's), however a
> couple of people who I know who have been cycling for a long time wrinkled
> their noses a little at the conti's .. Another option would be Michelin
> pro 2's .. Most of my riding so far has been casual 20-100km rides, doing
> 100-250km/week
>
> Anyone got any suggestions/feedback regarding this?

Less is definitely more in this case.
Sure both tyres you mention are fantastic race tyres, but in reality they
are overkill for the riding you are doing.
Look at the Maxxis Refuse or similar Kevlar belted high mileage tyres.
You will get much better bang for buck running these, especially if you
start to increase your weekly distance as you ramp up training.
The extra $$ would be better put toward a second set of wheels.
It's also a pity that the LBS that sold the bike to you didn't mention this
as you were handing your money over.
For an extra $60 you wouldn't be looking to replace your tyres yet, and
you'd have a brand new set of Michelin Pro Race in the top drawer waiting to
be raced on this summer.

TW