or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

post #1 of 12
On 11/5/05 12:40 pm, in article
1115811606.980971.11460@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "emma"
<emmakane@gmail.com> wrote:

> My Dawes has Reynolds 500 tubing. I've searched the archives and I
> can't find much info on it - I know its not double butted, but whats
> the difference between 500 and 501. Is it likely to be heavier, or
> weaker than 531 (I know its not as good but whats the downside?). Info
> much appreciated...

It is a cheap CrMo tubing that will be heavier than 531 as it is not heat
treated and cannot be made as thin as 531 (which in MnMo, not CrMo).

You should have a perfectly usable bike with that tubing. No downside except
weight.

...d
post #2 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

David Martin wrote:

> It is a cheap CrMo tubing that will be heavier than 531 as it is not heat
> treated and cannot be made as thin as 531 (which in MnMo, not CrMo).
>
> You should have a perfectly usable bike with that tubing. No downside except
> weight.

OK, pop quiz time.

What's the difference between pipe and tube?

(yes, I do have a degree in chemical engineering)
post #3 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

in message <1115811606.980971.11460@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, emma
('emmakane@gmail.com') wrote:

> My Dawes has Reynolds 500 tubing. I've searched the archives and I
> can't find much info on it - I know its not double butted, but whats
> the difference between 500 and 501. Is it likely to be heavier, or
> weaker than 531 (I know its not as good but whats the downside?). Info
> much appreciated...

Heavier _and_ weaker. If I recall correctly it's just yer bog standard
cromo. The good Reynolds tubes are 531, 631, 753 and 853. 521 and 725
are butted cromo; 500 and 501 are unbutted cromo. There's nothing
_wrong_ with cromo as such but there isn't anything special about it
either.

531 and 753 are no longer produced, as they're not tig-weldable and
Reynolds obviously doesn't feel there's a sufficient market any more
for lugged-and-brazed frames. 753 was always pretty rare as it was very
sensitive to overheating and could only be silver brazed. Of the
tubesets that Reynolds still make 853 is the best, and is best when
brazed although 853 can also be welded.

;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.
post #4 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

On 11/5/05 6:48 pm, in article 4282449d.0@entanet, "Zog The Undeniable"
<hrothgar19@yahoo.com> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:

> What's the difference between pipe and tube?

You can travel on the tube but can't smoke a pipe on it?

Tuba is a brass instrument and pipe a woodwind?

A pipe is a tube but a tube is not necessarily a pipe..

Ceci n'est pas un tube?

or cheat and use google. A pipe is a round tube measured differently..

"Tube refers to cylindrical, square, rectangular or any shape of hollow
material of uniform thickness which is defined by the outside diameter and
wall thickness dimensions. (For example 0.375" diameter x 0.062" wall.)

Pipe is round material with specific O.D. and I.D. measurements. The
dimensions used in describing pipe refer to its inside diameter and wall
thickness. While at one time the inside diameter was a true dimension, over
the years the dimension has become "nominal" (in name only) so that when
pipe size is referred it is an approximate inside diameter measurement with
the thickness described by the term "schedule". (For example: 1-1/2", sch.
40 pipe has an outside diameter of 1.9 inches with a wall thickness of .140"
post #5 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

On 12/5/05 9:23 am, in article
1115886236.710988.174160@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "emma"
<emmakane@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Simon. Now i fancy a 531 frame

One of the oldest modern special steels around. The difference between your
500 frame and a 531 one will be a substantial chunk of weight (off the frame
and the wallet).

...d
post #6 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
Thanks Simon. Now i fancy a 531 frame
Just remember 531 isn't made any more. Some frame builders still have some in stock so you can get them, but the new equivalent number is 525, unless of course it is made in teh far East under license in which case it's 520 (just to confuse thngs).

Bryan
post #7 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

in message <4282449d.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
('hrothgar19@yahoo.com') wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>
>> It is a cheap CrMo tubing that will be heavier than 531 as it is not
>> heat treated and cannot be made as thin as 531 (which in MnMo, not
>> CrMo).
>>
>> You should have a perfectly usable bike with that tubing. No downside
>> except weight.

> OK, pop quiz time.
>
> What's the difference between pipe and tube?

Ceci, c'n'est pas un pipe.

Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off.
post #8 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

On 12/5/05 10:16 am, in article
pfjbl2-d7i.ln1@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk, "Simon Brooke"
<simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:

> in message <4282449d.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
> ('hrothgar19@yahoo.com') wrote:
>
>> David Martin wrote:
>>
>>> It is a cheap CrMo tubing that will be heavier than 531 as it is not
>>> heat treated and cannot be made as thin as 531 (which in MnMo, not
>>> CrMo).
>>>
>>> You should have a perfectly usable bike with that tubing. No downside
>>> except weight.

>> OK, pop quiz time.
>>
>> What's the difference between pipe and tube?

> Ceci, c'n'est pas un pipe.

Says Anne, whoever she may be..

...d
post #9 of 12

David Martin wrote:
> On 12/5/05 10:16 am, in article
> pfjbl2-d7i.ln1@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk, "Simon Brooke"

> > Ceci, c'n'est pas un pipe.

> Says Anne, whoever she may be..

No, it was Margaret.

--
Dave...
post #10 of 12

JLB wrote:

> Was 531 ST production stopped as well as 531? I understand 531 ST is
> weldable, up to a point.

531 hasn't changed, but Reynolds sometimes changes the instructions.
Current wisdom is that 531 can be welded if you insist
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
post #11 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

in message <Bryan.1oww1n@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com>, Bryan
('Bryan.1oww1n@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com') wrote:

> emma Wrote:
>> Thanks Simon. Now i fancy a 531 frame

> Just remember 531 isn't made any more. Some frame builders still have
> some in stock so you can get them, but the new equivalent number is
> 525, unless of course it is made in teh far East under license in
> which case it's 520 (just to confuse thngs).

525 may be what Reynolds are now selling instead of 531, but it's just
basic cromo so there's no point that I can see in paying extra for the
Reynolds name. 653 and 853 are the only Reynolds tubesets that are
worth any premium, as I understand it.

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'
post #12 of 12

Re: Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB
Bryan wrote:
> emma Wrote:
>
>>Thanks Simon. Now i fancy a 531 frame

> Just remember 531 isn't made any more. Some frame builders still have
> some in stock so you can get them, but the new equivalent number is
> 525, unless of course it is made in teh far East under license in which
> case it's 520 (just to confuse thngs).
>
> Bryan

Was 531 ST production stopped as well as 531? I understand 531 ST is
weldable, up to a point.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
I contacted Reynolds a while ago to ask what 520 and 525 were all about and the response I got indicated that all 531 production had stopped as the majority of frames were being welded and these new tubes could be brazed if the builder wanted to.

If you want to know more drop thema mail, they are pretty helpful people.

Bryan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK and Europe