Ideas? A game for the '8yo' kids on their bikes

Peter Fox

Guest
There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts on
quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense? They have fun anyway but perhaps
there is something particular.

They don't know what the bits of bicycles are.
--
PETER FOX Not the same since the poster business went to the wall

Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts on
> quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense? They have fun anyway but perhaps
> there is something particular.

Just watch that your motives don't get misinterpreted.

Bill

Peter Fox tried to scribble ...

> There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts on
> quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense? They have fun anyway but perhaps
> there is something particular.
>
> They don't know what the bits of bicycles are.

Bicycle football .. bit awkward in the street though and wouldn't really teach good road usage.

Large cans or plastic pop bottles to mark a slalom course out .. maybe set out to represent
different types of road junction.

Trackstanding .. see how long they can each do .. or even let them 'bounce' on the front wheel or
back wheel when they reasonable at a standstill.

And when they're about ready - Jousting ... broomsticks work well .. ;)

--
Digweed

Digweed .. ;) wrote:
> Peter Fox tried to scribble ...
>

>>There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts on
>>quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense? They have fun anyway but perhaps
>>there is something particular.
>>
>>They don't know what the bits of bicycles are.
>

> Bicycle football .. bit awkward in the street though and wouldn't really teach good road usage.
>
> Large cans or plastic pop bottles to mark a slalom course out .. maybe set out to represent
> different types of road junction.
>
> Trackstanding .. see how long they can each do .. or even let them 'bounce' on the front wheel or
> back wheel when they reasonable at a standstill.
>
> And when they're about ready - Jousting ... broomsticks work well .. ;)

picking up drinks bottles whilst on the move; passing a bottle from one hand to the other; putting a
bottle down; all very simple to do, but with practise can be done quickly and efficiently. British
Cycling has a programme of such activities under the Get-Set banner. They might let you have a copy
of the activities if you ask.

--
Pete

interchange 12 for 21 to reply

Originally posted by Peter Fox
There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts on
quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense? They have fun anyway but perhaps
there is something particular.

They don't know what the bits of bicycles are.
--
PETER FOX Not the same since the poster business went to the wall

Get in touch with British Cycling Development, Coaching and Education department. They'll have loads of ideas. I.E. Get Set.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:35:57 +0100, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

>There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts on
>quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense?

Slow bicycle races are a good standby - last one across the line wins.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Slow bicycle races are a good standby - last one across the line wins.

If you put your foot down you have to stop where you are. In the event of everyone having to stop
before the finish line, winner is the one who got furthest.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:45:08 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:35:57 +0100, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts on
>>quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense?
>
>Slow bicycle races are a good standby - last one across the line wins.

Even better, a slow bicycle race down a quite steep grassy hill. Stopping is permitted: turning and
going uphill is not.

I speak as a former champion (under 11s), West Bradford, nr Clitheroe, Lancs, of the sport.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:35:57 +0100, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts
>> on quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense?
>
> Slow bicycle races are a good standby - last one across the line wins.

We used to play 2nd across the line wins or if someone puts a foot down 1st across the line wins.
You get an unusual sprint race.
--
Mark I got something special built for me and it arrived broken. :-(

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:59:45 +0000 (UTC), "the Mark" <[email protected]> in
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:35:57 +0100, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> There are half a dozen kids on bikes who play just outside my house (close/green). Any thoughts
>>> on quick and simple games to teach handling skills or road sense?

Emergency stop knock-out tournament: Blow start whistle, blow stop whistle. Last person to come to a
halt, anybody who skids, and anybody who doesn't cycle at a reasonable speed to start with is out.

See also http://makeashorterlink.com/?V3C1210C5 which will reveal a google thread detailing similar
stuff from years ago HTH

Love and obstacles from Rich x

--
If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit. To mail me,
change the obvious bit to richard

>See also http://makeashorterlink.com/?V3C1210C5

Hmmm, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Try an advanced search for "party games on bikes" within uk.rec.cycling

That might be better!

Love and 404sfrom Rich x