or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › General › The Bike Cafe › Most important athlete of all-time?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most important athlete of all-time? - Page 5

post #61 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

I am impressed that you can mention names like Elway, Marino, etc. They were 2 of the very best to play quarterback - that's the guy that gets the ball to start most plays and who usually throws it to or hands it to another teammate. He's the leader of the offense. William "The Fridge" Perry played for the Chicago Bears in the mid-1980s and scored a touch down (not his normal role, he was just so darned big he could not be stopped on the 1 yard (meter) run he did) in the Super Bowl ('85?) they won. I am from Chicago and that team, with quarterback Jim McMahon, running back Walter Payton (one of the very best), and a terrific defense was one of the best teams ever. They lost only one game all year long which very rarely happens. Enough about American "football". Now for the important stuff: if I ever come to Ireland you must take me to a cricket match (one day version, please) or to a pub to watch one on the telly and slam down a pint or three. Cheers! LongRider
post #62 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Rider
I am impressed that you can mention names like Elway, Marino, etc. They were 2 of the very best to play quarterback - that's the guy that gets the ball to start most plays and who usually throws it to or hands it to another teammate. He's the leader of the offense. William "The Fridge" Perry played for the Chicago Bears in the mid-1980s and scored a touch down (not his normal role, he was just so darned big he could not be stopped on the 1 yard (meter) run he did) in the Super Bowl ('85?) they won. I am from Chicago and that team, with quarterback Jim McMahon, running back Walter Payton (one of the very best), and a terrific defense was one of the best teams ever. They lost only one game all year long which very rarely happens. Enough about American "football". Now for the important stuff: if I ever come to Ireland you must take me to a cricket match (one day version, please) or to a pub to watch one on the telly and slam down a pint or three. Cheers! LongRider
yeah, it was 1985 (20 yrs ago !).
Budweiser wear launching their European brand in this side of the world and
the NFL decided to use this opportunity to spread the word.
John Elway and Dan Marino were the names as you you correctly state.
There was a big push to get people interested in the game at around that time in Britain and Ireland.
Chicago Bears beat the Miami Dolphins if I recall that Superbowl in 1985, correctly.

As regards Cricket, you're gonna laugh after my telling you how popular it is.
Cricket isn't a popular game here in Ireland !
A lot of it has to do with cricket being viewed as a british game and being elitest.
It has an image problem here and thus never gained widespread support.

But you're more than welcome to visit, I'll bring you to a pub and we can watch an American football match !
post #63 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Rider
I am impressed that you can mention names like Elway, Marino, etc. They were 2 of the very best to play quarterback - that's the guy that gets the ball to start most plays and who usually throws it to or hands it to another teammate. He's the leader of the offense. William "The Fridge" Perry played for the Chicago Bears in the mid-1980s and scored a touch down (not his normal role, he was just so darned big he could not be stopped on the 1 yard (meter) run he did) in the Super Bowl ('85?) they won. I am from Chicago and that team, with quarterback Jim McMahon, running back Walter Payton (one of the very best), and a terrific defense was one of the best teams ever. They lost only one game all year long which very rarely happens. Enough about American "football". Now for the important stuff: if I ever come to Ireland you must take me to a cricket match (one day version, please) or to a pub to watch one on the telly and slam down a pint or three. Cheers! LongRider
I agree with your being impressed with Limerickman's knowledge of sports that are unpopular in Ireland. I couldn't name even one top cricketer!

I remember the NFL's attempt to increase the popularity of American football using William "The Refrigerator" Perry. One of their many feeble attempts at increasing the popularity of the sport I'm afraid!
post #64 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehs
I agree with your being impressed with Limerickman's knowledge of sports that are unpopular in Ireland. I couldn't name even one top cricketer!

I remember the NFL's attempt to increase the popularity of American football using William "The Refrigerator" Perry. One of their many feeble attempts at increasing the popularity of the sport I'm afraid!
Just trying to think of any other names from American Football that might be know here (which might give you some idea of how little is actually known).
Was there a guy called Emmet Smith ?
Dan Marino's name I do know.
John Elway as well.
That is my entire knowledge of US Footballers !
And these people are probably long since retired !

Have you guys ever heard of David Beckham ?
Diego Maradona ?
Jonny Wilkinson ?
post #65 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerickman
Have you guys ever heard of David Beckham ?
Diego Maradona ?
Jonny Wilkinson ?
I think Beckham is a tabloid cover star isn't he? Actually didn't he leave some powerhouse team Manchester United and go to a non-British club? Is he like the best player now? I kept seeing a title for something - a movie? - "Bend it like Beckham" some months ago. Could he work in steel construction?

Let's see - Maradona, she's a blond, sexy singer - Material Girl, Like a Virgin (she's certainly not that!), etc. were her big 80s hits (yeah, I'm stuck there with the Bears who defeated the NE Patriots actually 46-10 in that Stuper Bowl, but the Miami Dolphins are a team and the Patriots with an entirely new team at this time, of course, have won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls if I am not mistaken - they have a great coach, terrific, headsmart QB and a lot of team chemistry.)

Yes, there was, and still is an Emmitt Smith. He may play one more year but the guy now holds the all time rushing record and is one of the very best. "Rushing" means getting the ball from the QB and trying to run as far as possible before 300lb. (136kg) guys tackle him, or to the "end zone" with the ball to score 6 points and he was very good at it. But, the guy who was probably better, and had he a better team in front of him would hold that all time rushing record was Barry Sanders. Even without the support of a great team, he probably would have surpassed Smith had he (Sanders) not retired early. The moves and runs he had were phenominal and electrifying.

Now comes Wilkerson. He founded a razor blade manufacturing company, The Wilkerson Sword Blade Company if I'm not mistaken.

How'd I do? Yeah yeah... LAME, I know. What's an ill-informed American to do? I think I get the BBC on my Television - could that cure me? Don't answer that you guys, I am ashamed enough already.

Ride well!
post #66 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Not a bad guess, LR.

David Beckham did play soccer for Man Utd but has since played for Real Madrid
in Spain.
He's also married to Victoria "Spice Girl" Beckham : a girl who couldn't sing and is famous for looking like a stick insect.

Luke warm on Maradona. He's a former Argentinian soccer player and regarded as possibly the greatest soccer player ever.
I can't say for definite that he ever entered the Top 40 with a song however.
Mrs Guy Ritchie is a better singer but I doubt she could play soccer as well as
Diego.

Jonny Wilkinson : shares his surname with a razor blad manufacturer of the same name, as you say, but JW is an England rugby player who looks too young to shave but is a superb rugby player.

Good effort though, LR.
post #67 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerickman
Just trying to think of any other names from American Football that might be know here (which might give you some idea of how little is actually known).
Was there a guy called Emmet Smith ?
Dan Marino's name I do know.
John Elway as well.
That is my entire knowledge of US Footballers !
And these people are probably long since retired !

Have you guys ever heard of David Beckham ?
Diego Maradona ?
Jonny Wilkinson ?
Beckham has become a pop icon as much as a football star so I definitely know who he is. I also know about Maradona from my French friend that I talked about previously. Never heard of Wilkinson though. Sorry!
post #68 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Too narow list. You can include:
Michael Jordan
Mark Spitz

Jose
post #69 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcueto
Too narow list. You can include:
Michael Jordan
Mark Spitz

Jose
As long as we are name dropping,anyone remember 1976 and Bruce Jenner.
Jean Claude Killy 1968.
post #70 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitosis
Important to whom? The people of Iraq, Ethiopia, Argentina, China, India? Maybe not even the US.
Well I would simply assume that if he is asking us in this forum, then he means important to US...and that would be US in THIS forum.

BTW....Muhammad Ali

Lance Armstrong...to those who answered Lance....why?
post #71 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj32161
Well I would simply assume that if he is asking us in this forum, then he means important to US...and that would be US in THIS forum.

BTW....Muhammad Ali

Lance Armstrong...to those who answered Lance....why?
If you are asking why Lance, then I ask you have you read the answers in this thread? It's rather obvious why people say Lance.
post #72 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by House
If you are asking why Lance, then I ask you have you read the answers in this thread? It's rather obvious why people say Lance.
While I do agree that LA is one of the most important athletes of our age. I don't think his overall importance (in a global sense) can match that of, say Ali or Pele...I just don't see him having the same social relevance. I am a huge fan of LA so before you flame me...I was just ssking why you would choose him. I have read many of the answers, however I guess my idea of important differs from many of the posters in this thread.
post #73 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

I think the word - important - is the sticking point here.

What is the definition of important ?

Is it - increasing the awareness of the sport on a worldwide stage ?
Is it - improving the overall standard within the sport at a given time ?
Is it - cpaturing the imagination of people who do not necessarily follow a given
sport ?

I think the combination of all of the above, predicated my selection of
Donald Bradman as the most important athlete.

I'd put Merckx, Diego Maradona, Muhammed Ali, Pele, Rod Laver, Roger Bannister (first 4 minute mile), Fangio as the most important/influential athletes as well.

They all improved recognition of their given sports, worldwide.
They all increased the performance levels across their given sports.
They're all household names across disparate geographical and demographic
strata. (ie they're known to people who don't follow their respective sports).
They all participated in their respective sports which are recognised and participated in and followed, by huge worldwide fandom.
post #74 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj32161
While I do agree that LA is one of the most important athletes of our age. I don't think his overall importance (in a global sense) can match that of, say Ali or Pele...I just don't see him having the same social relevance. I am a huge fan of LA so before you flame me...I was just ssking why you would choose him. I have read many of the answers, however I guess my idea of important differs from many of the posters in this thread.
I am not flaming you, I was merely asking. There is a certain group that would say something like you said simply because they dislike Lance (such as the post above which lists criteria that Lance meets, but he won't include him). I think anyone who has raised the amount of money to fight a worldwide disease and increased awareness of it is very socialy relavent. I am a soccer coach and marvel at Pele, but he had little social relevence beyond soccer. I don't see how someone who has raised well over $40m for one of the worst diseases in the world does not have global social relevance.
post #75 of 150

Re: Most important athlete of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by House
I am not flaming you, I was merely asking. There is a certain group that would say something like you said simply because they dislike Lance (such as the post above which lists criteria that Lance meets, but he won't include him). I think anyone who has raised the amount of money to fight a worldwide disease and increased awareness of it is very socialy relavent. I am a soccer coach and marvel at Pele, but he had little social relevence beyond soccer. I don't see how someone who has raised well over $40m for one of the worst diseases in the world does not have global social relevance.
House, I deeply respect Lance and his contribution to society but if we are to get into social impact I will enter the names Schewitzer,Curie and Guttenberg for starters.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Bike Cafe
Cycling Forums › Forums › General › The Bike Cafe › Most important athlete of all-time?