calorie questions and musings

TC

Guest
Calories are a measurement of energy. The more calories (energy) we
consume and the less calories (energy) we expend the more likely to
gain weight (fat). The less energy we consume and the more we expend
the more likely we are to lose weight (fat).

What about the energy in heated foods versus the calories in cold food?
How many more calories do we get from a steak straight from the grill
versus a cold steak. How much weight would we lose by limiting the
amounts of calories (energy) by only eating cold food and avoiding the
heat energy temporarily infused into the food. Just let the meal go
cold and you would save at least a couple of calories. Why is the
energy stored in the hot foods not converted to fat storage? Or is it?

And what if we drop the temperature of the rooms that we reside in or
avoid spending any time in overheated conditions.

Why does external sources of calories like sunlight, indoor heating,
hot air temperatures not affect our weight over time? Or does it? Would
that explain why those living in colder climes (like Inuits) tend to be
thinner? And are they fatter now that they are exposed to higher
temperatures? Does that explain why people in the lower latitudes are
fatter? More heat energy in the environment provides heat energy to the
body, does it store the excess heat calories as fat?

Energy is energy and the laws of therodynamics make it clear that
energy has to go somewhere. Energy from foods turn to fat. Why does not
energy from a sauna that gets absorbed by the body not get turned to
fat?

Can the body only extract energy from foods? Why does it not extract
energy from the ambient heat? Energy is energy, isn't it? In extreme
heat, one should store the excess energy as fat, should we not?

And how does this affect our understanding of the laws of thermo
dynamics if the ambient heat energy isn't converted into fat? Where
does it go? It can't dissappear can it?

TC

This is a keeper, what could be easily inferred is now amply exposed and
illustrated,, your facility with science and basic logic has a way to go
to make your musings on this and many other topics credible, but the
entertainment value alone is enough to encourage you to continue. At least
this confession of lack of basic knowledge can be the start of learning.
But then what could we expect a database nanny to know?

[email protected] wrote:
> This is a keeper, what could be easily inferred is now amply exposed and
> illustrated,, your facility with science and basic logic has a way to go
> to make your musings on this and many other topics credible, but the
> entertainment value alone is enough to encourage you to continue. At least
> this confession of lack of basic knowledge can be the start of learning.
> But then what could we expect a database nanny to know?

COMMENT:

It is a shame they don't teach the second law of thermo in high school,
as well as the first one. As is, only the chem and physics students
ever hear about it. And they don't seem to understand it.

TC: Ambient heat is degraded energy. You can't (even in theory) make
anything useful (like the chemical bonds in fat) out of it unless you
have a source of colder temperature to dump some energy into-- and even
then, the process is not something plants or animals can do with heat
at ambient temps. Plants work with sunlight that has an effective
temperature of 5,500 centrigrade or so (very high), and that's the only
way they can do their photosynthetic trick. Non-plants need chemical
energy pre-formed, and can't use heat at all.

One caveat-- homeothermic animals burn SOME of their food to make heat
to keep warm (a larger fraction for small animals and in cold
climates), and if you supply them with heat, they need to do *less* of
that. So, this kind of metabolism (and fat which runs it) can be
*conserved* to some extent by lessening the need to make heat to keep
warm. Yes, you can burn off a lot of fat and calories in cold climates.
But as a human in warmer climes, most of your resting metabolism is not
there to keep you warm, and 80% of it, at least, would continue, even
if you were in a thermally optimum environment (defined by just a bit
cooler than would cause you to start sweating more than baseline).
That's at about 80 F.

The heat or cold in food goes into the same hopper-- but the amount of
heat it takes to warm or cool food (with the exception of melting ice
to make drinking water, if you had to do that) is so small by
comparison to your metabolism, that it doesn't really contribute
significantly to your energy balance.

SBH

On 24 Oct 2005 14:08:10 -0700, "TC" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What about the energy in heated foods versus the calories in cold food?
>How many more calories do we get from a steak straight from the grill
>versus a cold steak. How much weight would we lose by limiting the
>amounts of calories (energy) by only eating cold food and avoiding the
>heat energy temporarily infused into the food. Just let the meal go
>cold and you would save at least a couple of calories. Why is the
>energy stored in the hot foods not converted to fat storage? Or is it?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

>And what if we drop the temperature of the rooms that we reside in or
>avoid spending any time in overheated conditions.
>
>Why does external sources of calories like sunlight, indoor heating,
>hot air temperatures not affect our weight over time? Or does it? Would
>that explain why those living in colder climes (like Inuits) tend to be
>thinner? And are they fatter now that they are exposed to higher
>temperatures? Does that explain why people in the lower latitudes are
>fatter? More heat energy in the environment provides heat energy to the
>body, does it store the excess heat calories as fat?

You ever hear about warm (homeothermic) versus cold blooded
(heterothermic)?

Warm blooded takes energy to keep the blood warm which is why warm
blooded creatures must constantly eat and why alligators can go months
without food.

>Energy is energy and the laws of therodynamics make it clear that
>energy has to go somewhere. Energy from foods turn to fat.

Ok calories do matter, you have made a big step today.

> Why does not
>energy from a sauna that gets absorbed by the body not get turned to
>fat?

Um maybe because the energy goes to creating a sauna..

>Can the body only extract energy from foods?

If you are overweight food can be safely assumed as the culprit.

> Why does it not extract energy from the ambient heat?

Gee I dunno, kinda makes you think there is a big conspiracy between
the government and of course the large corporations. All this energy
needed to keep homes cool with A/C when there is all this ambient
heat. I think the oil companies might be involved as well as my car
does not run gas free in the summer. Bastards

>Energy is energy, isn't it? In extreme heat, one should store the excess energy as fat, should we not?

Oh dear

>And how does this affect our understanding of the laws of thermo
>dynamics if the ambient heat energy isn't converted into fat?

Maybe thats why all the fat people I see live near the equator and
have rug burns....

> Where does it go? It can't dissappear can it?

Thanks for laughs...you have completely destroyed your credibility
with a single post.

So calories are all when it comes to weight maintenance. There is no
other factor but calories in weight management. But non-food calorie
have no impact whatsoever on the system. All-rightee then.

TC

TC wrote:
> So calories are all when it comes to weight maintenance. There is no
> other factor but calories in weight management. But non-food calorie
> have no impact whatsoever on the system. All-rightee then.

I didn't say that. Try reading what I wrote.