ping Guy

Peter Clinch

Guest
Guy, just tried to get you via your web feedback form, but when I
submitted I ended up at a "you are at the wrong place" page with no
mention of whether or not it had worked. So, anyway...

over on a.r.b.r there is a minor H-word flame war breaking out and
if you have time to Courageously Fight Cluelessness I wouldn't mind
someone else being on my side ;-/ And Mr. Ed has at least for the
time being left the building, btw.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Guy, just tried to get you via your web feedback form, but when I
> submitted I ended up at a "you are at the wrong place" page with no
> mention of whether or not it had worked. So, anyway...
>
> over on a.r.b.r there is a minor H-word flame war breaking out and
> if you have time to Courageously Fight Cluelessness I wouldn't mind
> someone else being on my side ;-/ And Mr. Ed has at least for the
> time being left the building, btw.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I have been seeing this message for a few weeks, each time I try to
tell Guy about my new URL which is http://www.mseries.plus.com

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:38:45 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> said in <[email protected]>:

>Guy, just tried to get you via your web feedback form, but when I
>submitted I ended up at a "you are at the wrong place" page with no
>mention of whether or not it had worked.

Oops, caused by renaming the server. Will fix.

>over on a.r.b.r there is a minor H-word flame war breaking out and
>if you have time to Courageously Fight Cluelessness I wouldn't mind
>someone else being on my side ;-/ And Mr. Ed has at least for the
>time being left the building, btw.

That last is sufficient justification to resubscribe in itself :)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:38:45 +0000, Peter Clinch wrote:

> over on a.r.b.r there is a minor H-word flame war breaking out and if you
> have time to Courageously Fight Cluelessness I wouldn't mind someone else
> being on my side ;-/ And Mr. Ed has at least for the time being left the
> building, btw.

Doesn't discussing helmets with the septics warrant a "wrestling with
pigs" warning?

Mike

"Mike Causer" wrote ...
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:38:45 +0000, Peter Clinch wrote:
>
>> over on a.r.b.r there is a minor H-word flame war breaking out and if you
>> have time to Courageously Fight Cluelessness I wouldn't mind someone else
>> being on my side ;-/ And Mr. Ed has at least for the time being left the
>> building, btw.

> Doesn't discussing helmets with the septics warrant a "wrestling with
> pigs" warning?
>

> Mike

Reading the thread in question, Mr. Clinch seems to have turned a fairly
civil discussion about sun visors into what he calls a minor flame war about
the H-word. Any "wrestling with pigs" caveats would therefore appear to
apply to both sides of the pond.

So far the less pleasant name calling seems to be coming from the right side
of the pond, in the form of Mr. Causer's use of the term "septic".
--
mark

mark wrote:

> Reading the thread in question, Mr. Clinch seems to have turned
> a fairly civil discussion about sun visors into what he calls a
> minor flame war about the H-word. Any "wrestling with pigs"
> caveats would therefore appear to apply to both sides of the
> pond.

I gave a solution to the original problem that applied with or
without helmets. I was told a load of nonsesne about why only a
fool wouldn't wear one, I replied with some illuminating facts
delivered in a matter of fact manner, rather rude things came back
at me.

There was nothing uncivil about my original post into the thread,
and in replies I have asked simple questions and stated facts.

What's your problem?

/My/ problem is people pushing devices as doing more than there is
any good evidence for them doing. It's a matter of public health,
quite an important issue.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Peter Clinch" wrote
> I gave a solution to the original problem that applied with or without
> helmets. I was told a load of nonsesne about why only a fool wouldn't
> wear one, I replied with some illuminating facts delivered in a matter of
> fact manner, rather rude things came back at me.
>
> There was nothing uncivil about my original post into the thread, and in
> replies I have asked simple questions and stated facts.
>
> What's your problem?
>
> /My/ problem is people pushing devices as doing more than there is any
> good evidence for them doing. It's a matter of public health, quite an
> important issue.

I agree that you gave a good solution to the original problem, but then you
shifted the focus of the conversation to a subtopic that you more than
likely knew would incite some heated responses, and took offense when you
got those heated responses. I agree that the responses you got included a
fair bit of nonsense, but I think you're overreacting a bit by calling the
ensuing exchange a flame war.

/My/ problem is people like Mr. Causer making snide remarks about "septics"
and accusing Americans of enjoying an argument for it's own sake, when in
fact people on both sides of the pond seem to be indulging in such behavior
in the thread in question. My comments were intended as a response to Mr.
Causer, which is why I snipped your comments from my post.
--
mark

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:45:38 GMT, "mark" <[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>I agree that you gave a good solution to the original problem, but then you
>shifted the focus of the conversation to a subtopic that you more than
>likely knew would incite some heated responses,

By my reading of it, no he didn't. The zealots (specifically "Butch")
did that.

Guy
--

mark wrote:

> I agree that you gave a good solution to the original problem, but then you
> shifted the focus of the conversation to a subtopic that you more than
> likely knew would incite some heated responses, and took offense when you
> got those heated responses.

If I took offense then that's news to me...
My good solution to the original problem works best without a helmet, so
it's going to have to get confronted at some point.

> I agree that the responses you got included a
> fair bit of nonsense, but I think you're overreacting a bit by calling the
> ensuing exchange a flame war.

up to full automatic fire...

> /My/ problem is people like Mr. Causer making snide remarks about "septics"
> and accusing Americans of enjoying an argument for it's own sake

Wrestling pigs does not, to my mind, say it's about arguing for its own
sake (after all, I'll freely admit to a lot of guilt there over the
years). It's more a case of making an argument that deserves to be made
but which won't necessarily be treated with any degree of intelligence.
That isn't a mark against Americans, particularly, but of the
different makeup of a typical Americentric rec NG compared to a UK one.

In my circles "septics" is just rhyming slang, with no particular
offensive content. I've used it myself with American friends and they
didn't seem at all upset by it.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> In my circles "septics" is just rhyming slang, with no particular
> offensive content. I've used it myself with American friends and they
> didn't seem at all upset by it.

So you are not a Listerine then? :eek:)
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>mark wrote:
>
>In my circles "septics" is just rhyming slang, with no particular
>offensive content. I've used it myself with American friends and they
>didn't seem at all upset by it.

I like it, but it might confuse people (me, for instance) from groups
where "septic" = "sceptic".

--
Sue ]8:))

Bicycle helmets are a bit of a scam, they make most cyclists slightly less safe
but there's lots of money in selling them.