Slightly OT: Whey's benefits beyond protein supplementation

Brian Link

Guest
Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.

So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.

Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
supplementation?

Thanks

BLink

"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote
> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
>
> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
>
> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
> supplementation?

http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/M...LCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey

http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html

David

"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
>> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
>> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
>> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
>> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
>>
>> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
>> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
>> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
>> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
>>
>> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
>> supplementation?

>http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/M...LCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey
>
>http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html

However, Brian should be cautious. It has been reported in some
recent studies that consumption of whey protein may upregulate the
expression of Republican genes in certain mid-brain neurons, thereby
causing a substantial increase in intelligence but reducing one's
ability to react hysterically to public policy issues. Brian might
find such side effects to be psychologically challenging.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:14:21 -0500, JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
>>> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
>>> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
>>> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
>>> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
>>>
>>> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
>>> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
>>> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
>>> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
>>> supplementation?

>>http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/M...LCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey
>>
>>http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html

>However, Brian should be cautious. It has been reported in some
>recent studies that consumption of whey protein may upregulate the
>expression of Republican genes in certain mid-brain neurons, thereby
>causing a substantial increase in intelligence but reducing one's
>ability to react hysterically to public policy issues. Brian might
>find such side effects to be psychologically challenging.

Yes, I'm familiar with these studies. However, you seem to be reading
them inaccurately, since they all stem from the seminal article
"Consumption of Whey Protein coupled with Sniffing Airplane Glue and
Living in a Trailer Park and Voting for Corrupt Lying Bastards due to
Xenophobia and Fear of Fictional Islamic Cave-Dwellers", which has
proven to have several serious statistical flaws, owing to the control
group's ingestion of rye ergot.

An honest mistake.

BLink

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:25:54 GMT, "David Cohen"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
>> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
>> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
>> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
>> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
>>
>> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
>> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
>> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
>> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
>>
>> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
>> supplementation?

>http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/M...LCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey
>
>http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html
>
>David

Thanks David.

BLink

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:34:42 -0600, Brian Link <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:14:21 -0500, JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/M...LCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey
>>>
>>>http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html

>>However, Brian should be cautious. It has been reported in some
>>recent studies that consumption of whey protein may upregulate the
>>expression of Republican genes in certain mid-brain neurons, thereby
>>causing a substantial increase in intelligence but reducing one's
>>ability to react hysterically to public policy issues. Brian might
>>find such side effects to be psychologically challenging.

>Yes, I'm familiar with these studies. However, you seem to be reading
>them inaccurately, since they all stem from the seminal article
>"Consumption of Whey Protein coupled with Sniffing Airplane Glue and
>Living in a Trailer Park and Voting for Corrupt Lying Bastards due to
>Xenophobia and Fear of Fictional Islamic Cave-Dwellers", which has
>proven to have several serious statistical flaws, owing to the control
>group's ingestion of rye ergot.
>
>An honest mistake.
>
>BLink

Also, see "An Etymological Disaster: Evolution of 'Heckuva Job' to
'Incompetent Crony'" and "Attribution of Genius to Serial Failure by
Disgraced Former Supreme Court Nominee" in "Psychological Anomalies
Journal".

Happy reading.

BLink

"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
>
> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
>
> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
> supplementation?

Not a direct answer to your question, bu Dan Duchaine book, "BodyOpus,"
goes so far as to say whey is better than meat, fowl, or fish for you
overall. It's a fun read if you haven't seen it already, even if you're
not a bodybuilder. It's one of those "not for me but I'd like to know
what it says, anyway" books that I'd always wanted to read but had never
gotten around to, but I picked up a copy and started last week and am
somewhere in the middle now.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote
> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
>>> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
>>> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
>>> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
>>> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
>>>
>>> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
>>> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
>>> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
>>> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
>>> supplementation?

>>http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/M...LCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey
>>
>>http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html

> However, Brian should be cautious. It has been reported in some
> recent studies that consumption of whey protein may upregulate the
> expression of Republican genes in certain mid-brain neurons, thereby
> causing a substantial increase in intelligence but reducing one's
> ability to react hysterically to public policy issues. Brian might
> find such side effects to be psychologically challenging.

So, the sound of the words "Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito" would be
easier for Brian while taking whey protein? Oh, that would be good.

David

In article <[email protected]>,
Brian Link <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:25:54 GMT, "David Cohen"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
> >> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
> >> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
> >> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
> >> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
> >>
> >> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
> >> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
> >> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
> >> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
> >>
> >> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
> >> supplementation?

> >http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/MsmFind.exe?QUERY_ENCODING=UTF-8&CFGNAME=Ms
> >sFind.cfg&ALLCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey
> >
> >http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html
> >
> >David
> >

> Thanks David.

All this time you have been posting here, you should have known that.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

In article <[email protected]>,
JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
> >> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
> >> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
> >> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
> >> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
> >>
> >> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
> >> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
> >> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
> >> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
> >>
> >> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
> >> supplementation?

> >http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/MsmFind.exe?QUERY_ENCODING=UTF-8&CFGNAME=Ms
> >sFind.cfg&ALLCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey
> >
> >http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html

> However, Brian should be cautious. It has been reported in some
> recent studies that consumption of whey protein may upregulate the
> expression of Republican genes

Increased whey = an increase in gun sales world wide.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

"WillBrink" <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote
> JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >"Brian Link" <[email protected]> wrote

>> >http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/MsmFind.exe?QUERY_ENCODING=UTF-8&CFGNAME=Ms
>> >sFind.cfg&ALLCATS=X&NO_DL=X&CAT_KEY=&AGE_WGT=0&QUERY=whey
>> >
>> >http://www.brinkzone.com/onlinearticles.html

>> However, Brian should be cautious. It has been reported in some
>> recent studies that consumption of whey protein may upregulate the
>> expression of Republican genes

> Increased whey = an increase in gun sales world wide.

Increased whey = an increase in law abiding citizens purchasing high quality
weapons.

I hope Kimber can keep up with the demand.

David

Brian Link <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:34:42 -0600, Brian Link <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>However, Brian should be cautious. It has been reported in some
>>>recent studies that consumption of whey protein may upregulate the
>>>expression of Republican genes in certain mid-brain neurons, thereby
>>>causing a substantial increase in intelligence but reducing one's
>>>ability to react hysterically to public policy issues. Brian might
>>>find such side effects to be psychologically challenging.

>>Yes, I'm familiar with these studies. However, you seem to be reading
>>them inaccurately, since they all stem from the seminal article
>>"Consumption of Whey Protein coupled with Sniffing Airplane Glue and
>>Living in a Trailer Park and Voting for Corrupt Lying Bastards due to
>>Xenophobia and Fear of Fictional Islamic Cave-Dwellers", which has
>>proven to have several serious statistical flaws, owing to the control
>>group's ingestion of rye ergot.

Actually, the statistical errors were due to the miniscule sample
sizes of Republicans amongst populations of glue sniffers and trailer
park dwellers. The confounding factor of ergotamine consumption was
due to residual contamination of household glassware used by
glue-sniffing, trailer-park-dwelling liberals for hallucinogen
production.

>Also, see "An Etymological Disaster: Evolution of 'Heckuva Job' to
>'Incompetent Crony'" and "Attribution of Genius to Serial Failure by
>Disgraced Former Supreme Court Nominee" in "Psychological Anomalies
>Journal".

You need to keep up on our recent research, Brian:

Williams J. The effect of natural disasters on yellow dog (canis
liberalis) feeding frenzies. J Autonom Reflex Lib Pol. 2005 Oct
31;4(5):480-84.

Williams J, Cohen D. Behavioral responses of the common barking
moonbat (moonbatis Americanus) to a bait-and-switch protocol. J
Autonom Reflex Lib Pol. 2005 Oct 31;4(5):485-90.

In article <[email protected]>,
"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "WillBrink" <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote
> > JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> However, Brian should be cautious. It has been reported in some
> >> recent studies that consumption of whey protein may upregulate the
> >> expression of Republican genes

> > Increased whey = an increase in gun sales world wide.

> Increased whey = an increase in law abiding citizens purchasing high quality
> weapons.
>
> I hope Kimber can keep up with the demand.

What about a Kimber Whey product?

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

"WillBrink" <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote
> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Increased whey = an increase in gun sales world wide.

>> Increased whey = an increase in law abiding citizens purchasing high
>> quality
>> weapons.
>>
>> I hope Kimber can keep up with the demand.

> What about a Kimber Whey product?

Oooo, crossover products! Marketing genius.

I want Al Mar multivitamins and Smith & Wesson super premium dog food.

I just put a deposit down on a Randall Model 1 custom knife. It will be
ready for delivery some time in 2010. With that kind of backlog, they might
crossover with Seecamp :(

David

In article <[email protected]>,
"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "WillBrink" <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote
> > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "WillBrink" <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote

> >> Increased whey = an increase in law abiding citizens purchasing high
> >> quality
> >> weapons.
> >>
> >> I hope Kimber can keep up with the demand.

> > What about a Kimber Whey product?

> Oooo, crossover products! Marketing genius.

That's why they pay me the big bucks!

> I want Al Mar multivitamins and Smith & Wesson super premium dog food.
>
> I just put a deposit down on a Randall Model 1 custom knife. It will be
> ready for delivery some time in 2010. With that kind of backlog, they might
> crossover with Seecamp :(

You might want to get your $$$ back. I little known knife maker right by
you actually makes perhaps the best knives around with faster turn
around. See: http://www.tridentknives.com/

I have:

http://www.tridentknives.com/oberland_03_custom-knife.htm

There is nothing tougher then these Trident knives. BTW, I just sent my
Scandium SnW 1911 to Novak's to have a kart barrel and matched bushing
and other stuff done. Can't wait to get it back....

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

"WillBrink" <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote
> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > What about a Kimber Whey product?

>> Oooo, crossover products! Marketing genius.

> That's why they pay me the big bucks!
>
>> I want Al Mar multivitamins and Smith & Wesson super premium dog food.
>>
>> I just put a deposit down on a Randall Model 1 custom knife. It will be
>> ready for delivery some time in 2010. With that kind of backlog, they
>> might
>> crossover with Seecamp :(

> You might want to get your $$$ back. I little known knife maker right by
> you actually makes perhaps the best knives around with faster turn
> around. See: http://www.tridentknives.com/

I am buying the Randall for it's historic/collection/investment value.

> I have:
>
> http://www.tridentknives.com/oberland_03_custom-knife.htm

Nice, but, there are plenty of tough hard use knives around. I'd put my Cold
Steel Trailmaster bowie up against any bowie, my Al Mar SERE 2000 against
any folder, and my in-the-mail Al Mar Limited Edition Shiva against any 5-6
inch fixed blade.

> There is nothing tougher then these Trident knives. BTW, I just sent my
> Scandium SnW 1911 to Novak's to have a kart barrel and matched bushing
> and other stuff done. Can't wait to get it back....

Gee, I'm sorry, you had to have work done on it, huh? Shame they couldn't
get it working well right off. Try a Kimber next time :)

David

Brian Link <[email protected]> wrote:
> Since I'm still a noob as far as weightlifting and supplements, I've
> been trying to get a better sense of this particular topic. I still
> read mags which seem to have decent advice, and when I present the
> results here I routinely get called out by smarter folks. So I
> obviously haven't found the touchstone resources yet.
>
> So I've been wondering about the benefits of Whey supplementation for
> people not necessarily looking for protein boosts. Some claims that
> I've read include: increased brain function, boosted immune systems,
> liver rejuvenation, mood stabilization, etc.
>
> Can anyone point to a scholarly discourse on the benefits of whey
> supplementation?

I'm just curious - did you manage to quit smoking?

DZ