Average Speed: Hybrid vs. Road

Undaunted1

Guest
I became interested cycling a year ago and bought a Trek 7500 hybrid. Due to other obligations and a
very snowy winter, I've only put about 600 miles on it.

Lately, I've been doing 20 to 35 mile rides on a moderately hilly paved trail with an average speed
of 15.5 to 16 mph. This is up from 13.5 to 14.5 mph when I started out last summer. I hope to get up
to around 18 mph.

Although I love the Trek, my next bike -- hopefully in a year or two -- will definitely be a road
bike. I realize there are many variables, but how much of a speed increase might I expect with a
road bike as compared to what I have now?

Undaunted1 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Lately, I've been doing 20 to 35 mile rides on a moderately hilly paved trail with an average
> speed of 15.5 to 16 mph. This is up from 13.5 to 14.5 mph when I started out last summer. I hope
> to get up to around 18 mph.
>
> Although I love the Trek, my next bike -- hopefully in a year or two -- will definitely be a road
> bike. I realize there are many variables, but how much of a speed increase might I expect with a
> road bike as compared to what I have now?

In my experience, the difference is probably less than you might expect. But as you said, there are
many variables. Road bikes almost always have narrow slick tyres with very low rolling resistance,
but depending on your hybrid's tyres, the difference might not be important. In any case, you can
always put similar high-performance slicks on your hybrid.

Aerodynamics is what really can make a big difference. If the road bike has a very aerodynamic (low)
riding position and you are comfortable in it, the difference in average speed can be significant.
Easily 2 mph or so. If the riding positions are not that different, you might only get a 1 mph gain.

The most important thing obviously is that a road bike is a Porsche where a hybrid is more like a
Toyota. For riding on good, paved roads, it's the finest thing to have. For road riding, most
cyclists also find the drop bar more comfortable than a flat handlebar. This is especially important
if you ride longer distances.

-as

"Undaunted1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I became interested cycling a year ago and bought a Trek 7500 hybrid. Due to other obligations and
> a very snowy winter, I've only put about 600
miles
> on it.
>
> Lately, I've been doing 20 to 35 mile rides on a moderately hilly paved trail with an average
> speed of 15.5 to 16 mph. This is up from 13.5 to
14.5
> mph when I started out last summer. I hope to get up to around 18 mph.

The Trek 7500 is has a lower, faster riding position than some hybrids.

> Although I love the Trek, my next bike -- hopefully in a year or two --
will
> definitely be a road bike. I realize there are many variables, but how
much
> of a speed increase might I expect with a road bike as compared to what I have now?

Quite a lot. Above 18mph or so, wind drag becomes the biggest impediment to increased speed. The
faster you go, the more wind drag slows you down, and the more energy is required to overcome it
(drag increases as the cube of velocity). So, to achieve higher speeds, you need more muscle power,
and less drag. The best way to reduce wind drag is by riding in an aerodynamic position. Road bikes
achieve this with drop bars. Recumbents achieve it naturally, with the legs-out position (very
aerodynamically efficient.)

There's another factor besides wind drag. The relatively "open" riding position of hybrids is not
ideal for power generation. The "closed" riding position of a road bike allows you to make more
power. Try it for yourself and I think you'll agree. The trick is to be "tucked" enough to get down
low; but not so much that you restrict breathing. Better to sit taller and breath well than to
restrict breathing, since that is your power-making fuel (well, the oxidant, anyway).

Your 7500 is low enough that you can "lean in" and get a semi-tucked riding position; but it won't
be very comfortable. You could get some bolt-on drop bars for your hybrid. They do exist. They're
like bar ends for mountain bikes, only they curve down below the bars.

Several riders in my cycling club use aero bars on their Trek 7500's. One of our riders rode her
7500FX on a 160-mile ride and averaged over 18 mph for the entire ride. That's on a hybrid, folks.
Wow. She was using aero bars, BTW.

Have fun,

Barry Sanders

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:39:37 -0500, <[email protected]>, "B. Sanders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Several riders in my cycling club use aero bars on their Trek 7500's. One of our riders rode her
>7500FX on a 160-mile ride and averaged over 18 mph for the entire ride. That's on a hybrid, folks.
>Wow. She was using aero bars, BTW.

Was she riding solo or in a group? It makes a big difference when you can rotate the lead. With
four riders, you're doing 30% less work 75% of the time.
--
zk