Cancer Survivor!!!

Ken Davey

Guest
Surgery was last Tuesday.
I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
The operation was a success!
I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

The gory details:
Operation lasted about three hours.
I received four units of blood during the procedure.
I had 80% of my stomach removed.

My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who stated that
my attitude had lots to do with that.
I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
The staff at the hospital were the best!
And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care system in my
presence had better watch out!

Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.
I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight during that
period.
Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional 'fighting
weight'.
Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current thinking
regarding a healthy diet.
One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
things that he essentially believes they are evil.
I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first move
after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the 7th of
December.
I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my recovery.

I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and prayers.

Sincerely.
Ken.

--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

"Ken Davey" wrote in message

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

That is superb news, Ken. This RFC community will be delighted to get the
news.

With your positive outlook, convalescence will soon be behind you and you'll
be winging your way to Honduras! Best wishes.

Dora

"Ken Davey" wrote in message

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

That is superb news, Ken. This RFC community will be delighted to get the
news.

With your positive outlook, convalescence will soon be behind you and you'll
be winging your way to Honduras! Best wishes.

Dora

"Ken Davey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!

> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be interested
to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.

Chris

"Ken Davey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!

> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be interested
to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.

Chris

"Ken Davey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!

> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be interested
to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.

Chris

"Ken Davey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

You put a huge smile on my face. That's great news, and thank
your friend Mark again for letting us know. I was quite worried
about you.

> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
> return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.

WOW, I didn't expect the news to be that great! I'm very happy.

nancy

On Tue 01 Nov 2005 02:03:16p, Ken Davey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Ken, this is amazing and wonderful news!!!

Stomach stapling and/or bypass surgery leaves you with even less functional
stomach, as I understand it.

I am so very happy for you!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Tue 01 Nov 2005 02:03:16p, Ken Davey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Ken, this is amazing and wonderful news!!!

Stomach stapling and/or bypass surgery leaves you with even less functional
stomach, as I understand it.

I am so very happy for you!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Tue 01 Nov 2005 02:03:16p, Ken Davey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Ken, this is amazing and wonderful news!!!

Stomach stapling and/or bypass surgery leaves you with even less functional
stomach, as I understand it.

I am so very happy for you!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken Davey" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>
> The gory details:
> Operation lasted about three hours.
> I received four units of blood during the procedure.
> I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>
> My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who stated that
> my attitude had lots to do with that.
> I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
> The staff at the hospital were the best!
> And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care system in my
> presence had better watch out!
>
> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
> return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.
> I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight during that
> period.
> Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional 'fighting
> weight'.
> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
> Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
> Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
> All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
> The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current thinking
> regarding a healthy diet.
> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>
> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first move
> after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the 7th of
> December.
> I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my recovery.
>
> I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and prayers.
>
> Sincerely.
> Ken.

Well done Ken! :)
It's good to hear from you, and good to hear that you actually got to
keep part of your stomach!

Don't forget tho' to ask your doctor about Intrinsic factor and Vitamin
B-12. You may need to supplement B-12 with injections at some point.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb12.asp

Intrinsic factor is secreted by the stomach lining and is required to
absorb B-12 properly. Since you lost a good part of your stomach, you
may end up deficient. They told us in class that injectable B-12 was the
best way to deal with it.

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,

In article <3UQ9f.127$Qs3.109@trnddc01>,
"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ken Davey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Surgery was last Tuesday.
> > I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> > The operation was a success!
> > I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
> >

> Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!
>
> > One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> > He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> > things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> > I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

> Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be interested
> to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.
>
> Chris

I've personally found them to be a bit hard to digest, or at least I
used to until I discovered a good way to cook them. Chewing well and
properly helps a lot with proper digestion of anything.

It's amazing how many people wolf down their food and don't take the
time to chew it properly...