Are bar ends on drops crazy?

Pat Fleming

Guest
I currently ride a 30 pound "hybrid" with straight handlebars. I climb lots of hills everyday. The
bar ends (directed toward the rear, not the front) are great facilitators for climbing.

I'll soon get an 18 pound "road" bike with drops. Am I insane to suggest bar ends (towards rear, not
front) on the drops too?

Skip <[email protected]> wrote:
: You'll get a lot of replies on this one. Bar-end shifters on dropped bars are very common -- I've
: been riding them for over 30 years.

if i'm reading that correctly: not shifters, mountain bike style bar-ends.

the answer is probably yes: crazy. wouldn't riding in the drops serve the same purpose?
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"Pat Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I currently ride a 30 pound "hybrid" with straight handlebars. I climb
lots
> of hills everyday. The bar ends (directed toward the rear, not the front) are great facilitators
> for climbing.
>
> I'll soon get an 18 pound "road" bike with drops. Am I insane to suggest bar ends (towards rear,
> not front) on the drops too?

I don't get it. Would they be sticking out towards the sides?

RichC

Rich Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
: I don't get it. Would they be sticking out towards the sides?

put 'em off the top .. (ie, pull them past the brake levers) .. you'd end up with something parallel
to an anatomic drop but several inches closer. a little bit closer than riding on the hoods, as well
which would be analogous to bar-ends point forward on a mountain bike.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pat Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I currently ride a 30 pound "hybrid" with straight handlebars. I climb
> lots
> > of hills everyday. The bar ends (directed toward the rear, not the
front)
> > are great facilitators for climbing.
> >
> > I'll soon get an 18 pound "road" bike with drops. Am I insane to
suggest
> > bar ends (towards rear, not front) on the drops too?
>
> I don't get it. Would they be sticking out towards the sides?

the cover of the book "cycling past 50" by joe friel shows handlebars made with normal drops
extended to curve back towards the head tube. I don't think it's crazy, some few people obviously
liked it, but I've nailed my knees into the ends of the drops on my Cannnodale T800 more than once.
With more bar in the way it would happen more often.

Doug Toronto

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Skip <[email protected]> wrote:
> : You'll get a lot of replies on this one. Bar-end shifters on dropped
bars
> : are very common -- I've been riding them for over 30 years.
>
> if i'm reading that correctly: not shifters, mountain bike style
bar-ends.

Thanks. I'm not a mountain-biker and grew up in the language of the (early) 70's before such things
were around.

I hadn't even considered this. Thanks. (Perhaps I should have considered my own "you'll get a lot of
replies on this one" and not said anything).

Appreciated.
- Skip

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:41:12 GMT, Pat Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'll soon get an 18 pound "road" bike with drops. Am I insane to suggest bar ends (towards rear,
> not front) on the drops too?

I've considered bar ends sticking out of various positions on drop bars. Someday, I'll actually take
the time to try it.

People will think you're insane, but you can never have too many hand positions.

--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:

> I've considered bar ends sticking out of various positions on drop bars. Someday, I'll actually
> take the time to try it.
>
> People will think you're insane, but you can never have too many hand positions.

They make good helmet-hangers, too.

The actual purpose of MTB bar ends is to allow riders to put more weight over the front wheel during
the type of steep climb with short gears/high torque, where MTBs like to spontaneously wheelie. I
just checked out how my old bar ends would go onto drop bars. They'd just stick crazily out
sideways, and they'd be in totally the wrong place to do anything other than provide a couple of
extra hand positions, and effectively widen the handlebar. One could hang a bunch of clamp-on RV
mirrors on them, I suppose, and go for the "mod" scooter look. But that would be more appropriate on
a banana-seated, J-bar'd Stingray type of bike.

What I'm getting at is, drop-bar'd road bikes have an aesthetically pleasing simplicity about them.
While people are entitled to do whatever they want to their own bikes, I think it's still kind of a
shame to spoil that delicious sleekness with add-ons and afterthoughts. And when my ship comes in
and I get my Chorus-equipped Marinoni Tourismo, I won't have the heart to do to it what I've done to
my current crappy gas-pipe MTB, in re: encumbering it with a bunch of extra stuff.

Maybe there is some functionality to bar ends on drop bars, and I guess there's no harm trying it to
see what happens. But in my honest opinion, it sure would have a "teat on a bull" appearance. And
I've found out myself how easy and tempting it can be to overly complicate a bike. Maybe drop bars
already intrinsically provide enough of a variety of hand positions?

As an urban rider, my own preference is against anything that takes the hands too far away from the
brake levers.

If anybody out there does stick bar ends onto their drop bars, please at least don't use 'em while
riding close to stucco walls.

cheers, Tom