Late Summer Madness

Simonb

Guest
Late Summer Madness!

I move into the centre of the lane as cars are beginning to queue up for lights ahead. Dipshit tries
to undertake me by turning into a part of the road marked out for parked cars, brakes and skids as
he comes up to a car parked in the zone as other cars behind have now boxed him in. I carry on once
traffic starts moving again, monkey-boy catches up and shouts abuse at me as he overtakes!

Huh?

Simonb

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I move into the centre of the lane as cars are beginning to queue up for lights ahead. Dipshit
> tries to undertake me by turning into a part of the road marked out for parked cars, brakes and
> skids as he comes up to a car parked in the zone as other cars behind have now boxed him in. I
> carry on once traffic starts moving again, monkey-boy catches up and shouts abuse
at
> me as he overtakes!
>
> Huh?

Well, you didn't expect him to be overjoyed about you getting him boxed in did you? That's the
trouble with idiots on the road who get themselves into trouble by their own stupidity - they're too
stupid to realise it's their own fault.

Rich

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Late Summer Madness!
>
> I move into the centre of the lane as cars are beginning to queue up for lights ahead. Dipshit
> tries to undertake me by turning into a part of the road marked out for parked cars, brakes and
> skids as he comes up to a car parked in the zone as other cars behind have now boxed him in. I
> carry on once traffic starts moving again, monkey-boy catches up and shouts abuse
at
> me as he overtakes!

I've noticed that my style of riding is now altering for the change of season. I'm much more
defensive on the road, and start taking up stronger road positions etc. The cars are getting more
impatient, and are trying to rush home 'before its dark'. They try to overtake despite the fact I'm
doing 30mph at times, and there's a huge ****ing bus in front of me. The low sun is quite a
dangerous factor too.

I'm always wondering why glove manufacturers never bother putting reflective tape along the side to
aid indicating, and side presence.

>I'm always wondering why glove manufacturers never bother putting reflective tape along the side to
>aid indicating, and side presence.

Indeed my Altura gloves have such a strip (but it's a bit small so prob not really effective) that
does that.

I'm finding I am riding more assertively too - for the very reasons you state. This afternoon's
cycle home from Dereham was a joy (not) with the plonkers all determined to break the sound barrier
getting home. Obviously me in bright yellow helmet & bright yellow top covering my huge rear end in
acres of bright yellow are working a treat as a Klingon cloaking device :-(

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

elyob wrote:
> The low sun is quite a dangerous factor too.
>
> I'm always wondering why glove manufacturers never bother putting reflective tape along the side
> to aid indicating, and side presence.

Reflective tape won't help much in the face of the low sun :p

Anyway, you could always use indicator gloves (gloves with built-in LED's, operated by a button in
the thumb IIRC, frustratingly I can't seem to find a link, I see the bloody things all the time when
I'm not looking for them).

Or you could wear reflective bands on your forearms, like I do in the winter.

Thomas Paine

In article <[email protected]>, Fraggle <[email protected]> writes
>"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> I'm always wondering why glove manufacturers never bother putting reflective tape along the side
>> to aid indicating, and side presence.

They think it's gold dust or something, so is to be used sparingly.

>From tomorrow I will mostly be wearing one of these.
>http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=44860&id=12904 a described as a SLEEVED WAISTCOAT
>though how that differs from a 'jacket' I am not quite sure! anyway it has reflecto strips at
>the wrists.

I must say that's really horrible. And the guy wearing it doesn't look too happy about it either.

This is what I'll be wearing if it rains:

<http://makeashorterlink.com/?R294324C5>

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
> > The low sun is quite a dangerous factor too.
> >
> > I'm always wondering why glove manufacturers never bother putting reflective tape along the side
> > to aid indicating, and side presence.
>
> Reflective tape won't help much in the face of the low sun :p
>
> Anyway, you could always use indicator gloves (gloves with built-in LED's, operated by a button in
> the thumb IIRC, frustratingly I can't seem to find a link, I see the bloody things all the time
> when I'm not looking for them).
>
> Or you could wear reflective bands on your forearms, like I do in the winter.

I'd never seen LED gloves .. so I did a search for them myself. Got admit to being somewhat
horrified when I saw these .... http://snurl.com/27or

but got a bit more interested in these ...

http://www.phatbritain.com/indicator.htm

I'm not sure whether its overkill, but at the end of the day you've got to do whatever to help
getting seen and taken seriously ("Yes, I really do want to turn right and for you to slow down!").

Those would be quite good for getting seen skating as well. My only worry is looking like a UFO
going down the road. I've already got two rear lights, and 32W of lumicycle up front, though not a
lot of side lighting. Those indicators look pretty good really.

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm finding I am riding more assertively too - for the very reasons you state. This afternoon's
> cycle home from Dereham was a joy (not) with the plonkers all determined to break the sound
> barrier getting home. Obviously me in bright yellow helmet & bright yellow top covering my huge
> rear end in acres of bright yellow are working a treat as a Klingon cloaking device :-(

Maybe you need a pair of bright yellow BibShorts?

"Marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I'm finding I am riding more assertively too - for the very reasons you
state.
> > This afternoon's cycle home from Dereham was a joy (not) with the
plonkers all
> > determined to break the sound barrier getting home. Obviously me in
bright
> > yellow helmet & bright yellow top covering my huge rear end in acres of
bright
> > yellow are working a treat as a Klingon cloaking device :-(
>
> Maybe you need a pair of bright yellow BibShorts?

Hide.

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Fraggle
> <[email protected]> writes
> >"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >
> >> I'm always wondering why glove manufacturers never bother putting reflective tape along the
> >> side to aid indicating, and side presence.
>
> They think it's gold dust or something, so is to be used sparingly.
>
> >From tomorrow I will mostly be wearing one of these.
> >http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=44860&id=12904 a described as a SLEEVED WAISTCOAT
> >though how that differs from a
'jacket'
> >I am not quite sure! anyway it has reflecto strips at the wrists.
>
> I must say that's really horrible. And the guy wearing it doesn't look too happy about it either.
>
> This is what I'll be wearing if it rains:
>
> <http://makeashorterlink.com/?R294324C5>

Nice, £100 versus £19.99 though ....

I've got a reflective bib and never wear it. I'd prefer something I kind of liked, that jacket
qualifies. This is turning out to be a very expensive thread. ;)

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:51:02 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote (more or less): ...
>I'm always wondering why glove manufacturers never bother putting reflective tape along the side to
>aid indicating, and side presence.

Yeah - I used to wear the fluorescent & reflective plastic bands designed to be a sort-of hi-vis
bicycle clip around my wrists for higher vis of my hand-signals.

Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 20:57:11 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd never seen LED gloves .. so I did a search for them myself. Got admit to being somewhat
>horrified when I saw these .... http://snurl.com/27or

So _that's_ what happened to The Shamen....

(Geezer)

Fraggle <[email protected]> writes:

> congokid <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> >>http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=44860&id=12904
> >
> > I must say that's really horrible.
>
> Heh, its pretty horrid close up too. its mighty YELLLOW though which is what I wanted. Also it is
> quite loose weave polyester, so I hope not too hot. It certainly is not going to be waterproof!

I've got one of these. I'll agree they're not high fasion but they are cheap, very noticable, and
can be worn over the top of a waterproof jacket if it's raining.

--
Mike Quin <[email protected]> :: Do you want to save before you quit? ::

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Quin <[email protected]> writes
>Fraggle <[email protected]> writes:

>> > I must say that's really horrible.
>>
>> Heh, its pretty horrid close up too. its mighty YELLLOW though which is what I wanted. Also it is
>> quite loose weave polyester, so I hope not too hot. It certainly is not going to be waterproof!
>
>I've got one of these. I'll agree they're not high fasion but they are cheap, very noticable, and
>can be worn over the top of a waterproof jacket if it's raining.

I used to have something similar, but sleeveless, and it had 'HAL' written across the back in big
letters. It came from Heathrow Airport (Limited), courtesy of a light fingered colleague.

However I gave up wearing it (as well as the reflective belt/shoulder thingies). As well as being
not that light in hot weather, they do seem to render cyclists invisible to some motorists, judging
by experiences of a few recent posters to urc.

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

In article <[email protected]>, elyob <[email protected]> writes

>"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>> This is what I'll be wearing if it rains: <http://makeashorterlink.com/?R294324C5>

>Nice, £100 versus £19.99 though ....
>
>I've got a reflective bib and never wear it. I'd prefer something I kind of liked, that jacket
>qualifies. This is turning out to be a very expensive thread. ;)

OK - they're not cheap now. I thought mine was good value when I bought it in Vancouver in 1995 for
about 140 Canadian dollars (it might have been even less but I can't find the receipt).

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

congokid <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> However I gave up wearing it (as well as the reflective belt/shoulder thingies). As well as being
> not that light in hot weather.

I should be alright for a while then :(

> they do seem to render cyclists invisible to some motorists, judging by experiences of a few
> recent posters to urc.

but MORE invisible than if you are not bright yellow, and glowy?

It seems to me that some people are not going to see you whatever you do, but you can decrease that
number by glowing, i just stuck a load of 3M stickers all over my bike to increase its 'virtual'
size. If the worst happens and someone does hit me, saying that they did not see me is not going to
cut much ice.

Fragg