Winter hat to wear under a helmet?

Sanjay Punjab

Guest
I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground. Is
there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head warm in
cold weather? Thanks

I rode all winter down to 5 deg F with a Cannondale Balaclava. Was NEVER cold. I'm sure other brands
are just as good but this is a fine, thin, warm "hat". About $25 "Sanjay Punjab"

wrote:

>I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
>Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head warm
>in cold weather?

I cut the necks from torn/worn turtleneck shirts and use them as skull caps. Except for a slight
opening on the very top of my head they look and function just as well for me as the thin knit caps
sold by Performance, Pearl Izumi, etcetera. If you are bald or balding you may have a different
opinion but if the shirt was trashed anyway you won't be out anything.

Regards, Bob Hunt

"Sanjay Punjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
> Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
> warm in cold weather? Thanks

I have a couple of Polartec caps I bought from a street vendor in NYC for $2 each a couple of years
ago. They work well; similar (but more expensive) caps are sold at most sporting goods stores,
especially ones like REI and EMS.

I also have a Polartec headband that covers the ears. This works well in combination with something
thinner, like the Headsweats do-rag/headband, on top.

And one or another of these in combination with a balaclava will do the job in subfreezing
temperatures.

I generally find that the top of my head doesn't need to be kept warm, even though I'm bald. It just
needs to be kept from freezing. I think different people may need different solutions; one of my
friends needs ear covers in temperatures where I wear nothing on my head but my helmet.

RichC

RichC

On 03 Sep 2003 02:59:15 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) from AOL http://www.aol.com wrote:

>> [email protected] (Sanjay Punjab)
>
>wrote:
>
>>I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
>>Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
>>warm in cold weather?
>
>I cut the necks from torn/worn turtleneck shirts and use them as skull caps. Except for a slight
>opening on the very top of my head they look and function just as well for me as the thin knit caps
>sold by Performance, Pearl Izumi, etcetera. If you are bald or balding you may have a different
>opinion but if the shirt was trashed anyway you won't be out anything.

How about if you just stuff your helmet full of Maxi Pads! Ron Hardin would be so proud! :)

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace We had to wait FOUR BILLION years but we
finally got JERRY LEWIS, MTV and a large selection of creme-filled snack cakes!

On 2 Sep 2003 19:07:10 -0700, [email protected] (Sanjay Punjab) from
http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

>I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
>Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head warm
>in cold weather?

Hat? Probably not. Try something called a balaclava:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17350

That URL is just for an example of what one looks like. You can probably find a cheaper one that
will work just as well.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace YOW!!! I am having fun!!!
10:35:19 PM 2 September 2003

Sanjay Punjab <[email protected]> wrote:
: I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
: Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
: warm in cold weather? Thanks

Under my helmet I wear:

+10 C to +0 C: (Yeah I'll be needing it again soon enough.) A custom made sort of a cap, made out of
tent fabric, very close fitting. A simple scarf could get the job done as well.

+0 C to -15 C: A normal winter cap - you know, the thing they make out of wool or cotton or such,
dunno if it has a better name in English - available from any Finnish store that sells almost any
kind of garments :) You can get them with goretex too. I remove the padding from my helmet when
using this. A scarf for the lower face can be a very good idea in the colder temps of this range.

-15 C or colder: A balaclava (made of silk) in addition to the winter cap.

My head never gets cold! :) Be sure to adjust for cold winds etc.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Sanjay
Punjab) wrote:

> I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
> Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
> warm in cold weather? Thanks

I used a balaclava-ish device called a Headgator I got from a local running store. I think it was
under $20, but it was so long ago. It works similarly but it's reconfigurable. And it's super-thin.
Works great under my helmet. Washable and non-stinky.

On a related note, I usually wear some old cotton pants as my outerwear and a thin pair of
sweatpants underneath for sub-30 degree F days. Works like a charm.

On 2 Sep 2003 19:07:10 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Sanjay Punjab) wrote:

> I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
> Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
> warm in cold weather?

I have several. One is a brimless fleece cap that covers the ears, from REI. For really cold weather
I protect my neck as well as my head and ears with a microfleece balaclava from cannondale, from a
local bike shop.

The fleece on both of these is fairly thin, but I can work up a sweat pumping up a hill on a 20
degF day. I stop riding when lubes get too stiff to work reliably, or when it's too slick for
drivers to stop.

Check the catalogs, both general ones like REI or Sierra Trading Post and bike catalogs like
Performance or Colorado Cyclist.

[email protected] (Sanjay Punjab) wrote:

> I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
> Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
> warm in cold weather? Thanks

I used a ...[rummages around]... dammit, i can't find it! Some kind of a lightweight balaklava thing
with a kind of porous mesh. I got mine at Gaylans, i thimk.

Go with a _lightweight_ (think thick women't tights) balaklava, not a heavyweight polarfleece. You
don't need to insulate your head from radiative losses as much as keep a warm air layer attached to
your head. The balaklava should cover your face and neck, too.

I rode in weather down to -15F last winter, toasty warm all the way.

My real secret was Mr. Tuffy strips so i wouldn't have to change a tube in -10 weather.

.max looking forward to the cold weather.

--
the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

"Sanjay Punjab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
> Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
> warm in cold weather?

I ride all year here in Boston. I find that a thin polypro balaclava works even on the coldest days.
I just use micro-fleece headbands to cover forehead and ears in milder temps. Hands & feet are the
real problem areas.

[email protected] (Sanjay Punjab) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
> Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
> warm in cold weather? Thanks

I wear a headband that fits under a helmet: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C-
%3Efolder_id=669481&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=195947&bmUID=1062612228909

These look neat for rain: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=66948-
1&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=482423&bmUID=1062612228901

These earmuffs look neat too: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=6-
69481&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=196083&bmUID=1062612369189

There are also thin balaclavas that fit under a helmet if it is colder.

Hunrobe wrote:
>>[email protected] (Sanjay Punjab)
>

> wrote:
>

>>I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
>>Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
>>warm in cold weather?
>

> I cut the necks from torn/worn turtleneck shirts and use them as skull caps. Except for a slight
> opening on the very top of my head they look and function just as well for me as the thin knit
> caps sold by Performance, Pearl Izumi, etcetera. If you are bald or balding you may have a
> different opinion but if the shirt was trashed anyway you won't be out anything.

I'll have to try this. I finally had to get a new helmet this year due to stupid pedestrian tricks,
and the new one is way snugger than the old, due to my big fat head. I think a skull cap would work
nicely. Does it give you bad hair, however? ;)

I was envisioning myself having to wrap a scarf around my head over the helmet. That woulda made my
big head eNORmous.

Of course, you only really need a hat here about 10 times a winter.

Scott

[email protected] (Sanjay Punjab) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
> Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
> warm in cold weather? Thanks

Try a snowmobile dealer for a good selection of thin, warm headgear.

Or you can try online at Dennis Kirk:

http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/lists/apparel.asp?serverid=nlSnow&type=02&subtype=hdnkwear&se-
arch=search&SD2=Face+Mask

They are bound to have something that will work well for you. The best stuff is wind-resistant and
costs a bit more.

On 3 Sep 2003 11:40:17 -0700, Phil <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Sanjay Punjab) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the ground.
>> Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep your head
>> warm in cold weather? Thanks
>
> Try a snowmobile dealer for a good selection of thin, warm headgear.
>
> Or you can try online at Dennis Kirk:
>
> http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/lists/apparel.asp?serverid=nlSnow&type=02&subtype=hdnkwear&-
> search=search&SD2=Face+Mask
>
> They are bound to have something that will work well for you. The best stuff is wind-resistant and
> costs a bit more.

Why is there no ski masks? The balaclavas don't cover enough and they are hard to breath through. My
nose will freeze.

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

Just use a "dew rag"... works great... little cost.

hth

> "Sanjay Punjab" <[email protected]>
> > I would like to ride my bicycle to school during the winters when there is no snow on the
> > ground. Is there a winter hat that is thin enough to wear under a bike helmet yet still keep
> > your head warm in cold weather? Thanks

In addition to a skull cap or balaclava, try a helmet rain cover in really cold weather. Keeping the
wind out is a big help.

What a cool way to recycle old shirts! I suppose if a person sewed the top part together.....

take care Liz