sturmey archer gears- help please

Simon

Guest
Hello group- I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this.

I've just acquired a No: 2 "runaround the village" type bike. It's a Raleigh stowaway 20 inch wheel
folding bike in really lovely condition- ie hardly used since it was made in I guess the mid
seventies.

It has a three speed sturmey-archer hub controlled by a twist grip on the handlebars. And that's
where my question comes up.

Since my biking life has been entirely in the realm of derailleur gears I've no idea what's
causing it to somtimes set itself to a gear where my feet fly round and there seems no contact in
the gears. If I then twist again on the handlegrip I'm usually lucky and it finds a gear which'll
drive the bike.

When it happens its really disconcerting.

So my question- what do I do to put it right? Is this abnormal behaviour for a sturney archer? Do I
dare to dismantle the hub? or are there in the modern phrase " no user serviceable bits inside?"

Help please....and of course all thanks in advance

simon

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello group- I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this.
>
> It has a three speed sturmey-archer hub controlled by a twist grip on the handlebars. And that's
> where my question comes up.
>
> Since my biking life has been entirely in the realm of derailleur gears I've no idea what's
> causing it to somtimes set itself to a gear where my feet fly round and there seems no contact in
> the gears. If I then twist again on the handlegrip I'm usually lucky and it finds a gear which'll
> drive the bike.

> So my question- what do I do to put it right? Is this abnormal behaviour for a sturney archer? Do
> I dare to dismantle the hub? or are there in the modern phrase " no user serviceable bits inside?"

From memory, they're normally very reliable, and require little maintenance apart from oiling
occasionally. The control cable has probably stretched, so setting the hub between gears. Back in
the '50s, I stripped mine down occasionally when curiosity got the better of me, but I did have an
exploded diagram to help re-assembly. .I'd try tightening the adjuster screw (near the hub?) a
little at a time until it's smooth. I'm sure others will be able to advise how to set this length
correctly. Have you lubricated the cable and twist grip etc.?

--
M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

"Simon" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hello group- I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this.
>
> I've just acquired a No: 2 "runaround the village" type bike. It's a Raleigh stowaway 20 inch
> wheel folding bike in really lovely condition- ie hardly used since it was made in I guess the mid
> seventies.
>
> It has a three speed sturmey-archer hub controlled by a twist grip on the handlebars. And that's
> where my question comes up.
>
> Since my biking life has been entirely in the realm of derailleur gears I've no idea what's
> causing it to somtimes set itself to a gear where my feet fly round and there seems no contact in
> the gears. If I then twist again on the handlegrip I'm usually lucky and it finds a gear which'll
> drive the bike.

Sturmeys do slip out of gear. My worst ever crash was caused by a four speed Sturmey slipping out of
gear, and I agree it can be very disconcerting and rather frightening!

However a well adjusted Sturmey won't slip out of gear. There is an index mark on the pull-rod which
when the bike is in second gear (on a three-speed) the index mark is excatly in line with the end of
the axle tube.

> So my question- what do I do to put it right? Is this abnormal behaviour for a sturney archer? Do
> I dare to dismantle the hub? or are there in the modern phrase " no user serviceable bits inside?"

You _can_ dismantle the hub and in the past I've done it. But it's extremely fiddly and unlikely to
be useful or to help, unless the hub is horribly worn which in your case sounds unlikely. It might
be worth flushing it out thoroughly with releasing fluid or WD40, letting it drain thoroughly, and
then putting a little gearbox oil in - it's possible that old oil has gummed up in the works. Note
that Sturmeys are not intended to be filled with oil, just lightly lubricated, so you only need a
teaspoonful or two.

Iraq war: it's time for regime change... ... go now, Tony, while you can still go
with dignity.

Simon wrote:
> Since my biking life has been entirely in the realm of derailleur gears I've no idea what's
> causing it to somtimes set itself to a gear where my feet fly round and there seems no contact in
> the gears. If I then twist again on the handlegrip I'm usually lucky and it finds a gear which'll
> drive the bike.

Adjusting the cable usually fixes it. Take your time - can be tricky.

> When it happens its really disconcerting.

And very dangerous.

> So my question- what do I do to put it right? Is this abnormal behaviour for a sturney archer?

Abnormal but common.

> Do I dare to dismantle the hub?

Don't. Nightmare!!

> or are there in the modern phrase " no user serviceable bits inside?"

It is serviceable ...but it's not a nice job, to put it mildly.

~PB

> Hello group- I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this.

> I've just acquired a No: 2 "runaround the village" type bike. It's a Raleigh stowaway 20 inch
> wheel folding bike in really lovely condition- ie hardly used since it was made in I guess the mid
> seventies.

Don't grease the top of the headset - IMMIC it's a nylon bush - use one of the ptfe lubricants.

> It has a three speed sturmey-archer hub controlled by a twist grip on the handlebars. And that's
> where my question comes up.

> Since my biking life has been entirely in the realm of derailleur gears I've no idea what's
> causing it to somtimes set itself to a gear where my feet fly round and there seems no contact in
> the gears. If I then twist again on the handlegrip I'm usually lucky and it finds a gear which'll
> drive the bike.

Ouch! It's either out of adjustment or the cable is jammimg somewhere. Second one first. If it slips
when you change down a gear it's probably a jam in which case strip the cable down and check for
links in the inner or outer. Check that the pulley wheel - behind the chainwheel - is straight and
moving easily.

> When it happens its really disconcerting.

> So my question- what do I do to put it right? Is this abnormal behaviour for a sturney archer? Do
> I dare to dismantle the hub? or are there in the modern phrase " no user serviceable bits inside?"

Adjustment is dead easy. The small rod which screws into the axle and onto the end of the cable
needs to be taken out cleaned and oiled. Replace it in the axle and tighten as far as it will easily
go - if it then lies horizontally OK if not loosen it slightly until it does. Put the gear into the
highest gear at the grip shift end and screw the chain end (adjuster) of the rod into the end of the
cable for about 6 turns. Put the gear at the grip shift into second and pedal backwards for a few
revolutions. To adjust screw the adjuster in or out until the shoulder on the rod lies exactly in
line with the end of the axle - tighten up the tiny lock ring. Try changing gear a few times and
pedalling backwards at the same time and then pedalling forwards - all should be OK but this will
check if you have got it OK.

If you wish to dismantle the hub it is actually quite easy but rarely necessary. You will need a
good vise, a good light and eyesight to go with it. Some basic tools - one of then being a hammer!
If you want to go down that road let me know and I'll scan the rather dog eared instructions.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

> If you wish to dismantle the hub it is actually quite easy but rarely necessary. You will need a
> good vise, a good light and eyesight to go with it. Some basic tools - one of then being a hammer!
> If you want to go down that road let me know and I'll scan the rather dog eared instructions.

I opened one once.It was full of wheels and springs and stuff.I had to have it reassembled by the
LBS. Embarrassing. Don't. TerryJ