new Burley LWB

John Riley

New Member
May 3, 2003
Scroll down here:

http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_comments.pl?storynum=544

_Very_ interesting. I know all youse hot dogs love those high BB bikes, but for many a low BB is more user friendly and that part of the market has been a bit stagnant.

There are a couple things I would tweak about this design, but I like the idea.

(Sorry Bryan, instant gratification is not fast enough. I couldn't wait until Friday.)

johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

John Riley <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_comments.pl?storynum=544
>
> _Very_ interesting. I know all youse hot dogs love those high BB bikes, but for many a low BB is
> more user friendly and that part of the market has been a bit stagnant.
>
> There are a couple things I would tweak about this design, but I like the idea.

Me too. ;-)

First I would add seat-stays, but I suspect they are optional. LWB's are more or less non existent
here in Europe any more, although recumbency started about 20 years ago with USS LWB's, the Radius
Peer Gynt in the first line.

Maybe 'bents like the new Burley will lead to a rebirth of LWB's in Europe, even more so when Sun
Bicyles actually make a serious effort to step into the European market with their affordable
'bents. At the moment there is only the Tschech Azub in the sub 1000 Euro class, most models cost a
lot more, and that's a high hurdle for beginners.

Kurt

Well at least I have more info than that...

John Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Scroll down here:
>
> http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_comments.pl?storynum=544
>
> _Very_ interesting. I know all youse hot dogs love those high BB bikes, but for many a low BB is
> more user friendly and that part of the market has been a bit stagnant.
>
> There are a couple things I would tweak about this design, but I like the idea.
>
> (Sorry Bryan, instant gratification is not fast enough. I couldn't wait until Friday.)
>
> johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

I like the Burley LWB but there is a lack of suspension, which is all the rage nowadays.
***********************

"'BentRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well at least I have more info than that...
>

> John Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Scroll down here:
> >
> > http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_comments.pl?storynum=544
> >
> > _Very_ interesting. I know all youse hot dogs love those high BB bikes, but for many a low BB is
> > more user friendly and that part of the market has been a bit stagnant.
> >
> > There are a couple things I would tweak about this design, but I like the idea.
> >
> > (Sorry Bryan, instant gratification is not fast enough. I couldn't wait until Friday.)
> >
> > johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

I test rode the new Burley direct steer LWB when I visited the Burley factory in early June of this
year. I was impressed with the overall design, handling and ride smoothness. It should give the Tour
Easy and Stratus some good competition. Seat braces are optional though I think they should be
standard as there is a fair amount of seat back flex without them.

Zach Kaplan

[email protected] (Kurt Fischer) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> John Riley <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_comments.pl?storynum=544
> >
> > _Very_ interesting. I know all youse hot dogs love those high BB bikes, but for many a low BB is
> > more user friendly and that part of the market has been a bit stagnant.
> >
> > There are a couple things I would tweak about this design, but I like the idea.
>
> Me too. ;-)
>
> First I would add seat-stays, but I suspect they are optional. LWB's are more or less non existent
> here in Europe any more, although recumbency started about 20 years ago with USS LWB's, the Radius
> Peer Gynt in the first line.
>
> Maybe 'bents like the new Burley will lead to a rebirth of LWB's in Europe, even more so when Sun
> Bicyles actually make a serious effort to step into the European market with their affordable
> 'bents. At the moment there is only the Tschech Azub in the sub 1000 Euro class, most models cost
> a lot more, and that's a high hurdle for beginners.
>
> Kurt

how's it going to compare price wise Zach? any other new stuff from Burley coming out?

Zach Kaplan Cycles wrote:
> I test rode the new Burley direct steer LWB when I visited the Burley factory in early June of
> this year. I was impressed with the overall design, handling and ride smoothness. It should give
> the Tour Easy and Stratus some good competition. Seat braces are optional though I think they
> should be standard as there is a fair amount of seat back flex without them.
>
> Zach Kaplan
>
> [email protected] (Kurt Fischer) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>John Riley <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_comments.pl?storynum=544
>>>
>>>_Very_ interesting. I know all youse hot dogs love those high BB bikes, but for many a low BB is
>>>more user friendly and that part of the market has been a bit stagnant.
>>>
>>>There are a couple things I would tweak about this design, but I like the idea.
>>

>>Me too. ;-)
>>
>>First I would add seat-stays, but I suspect they are optional. LWB's are more or less non existent
>>here in Europe any more, although recumbency started about 20 years ago with USS LWB's, the Radius
>>Peer Gynt in the first line.
>>
>>Maybe 'bents like the new Burley will lead to a rebirth of LWB's in Europe, even more so when Sun
>>Bicyles actually make a serious effort to step into the European market with their affordable
>>'bents. At the moment there is only the Tschech Azub in the sub 1000 Euro class, most models cost
>>a lot more, and that's a high hurdle for beginners.
>>
>>Kurt

Seat flex aka cheap rear suspension though I suspect thet have a fancy trademarked name for it.

Don't like the look of the v where everything comes together at the bottom bracket. It looks broken, or at least will be soon.

"...broken, or at least will be soon"? you've got to be kidding me, Burley frames are one of the
best made, strongest of any recumbent i've seen. Uneducated remarks like that can hurt a
bike/company, and for one like Burley who is bring quality made, USA recumbents, with style and
innovation, just isn't fair.

Seamus wrote:
> Seat flex aka cheap rear suspension though I suspect thet have a fancy trademarked name for it.
>
> Don't like the look of the v where everything comes together at the bottom bracket. It looks
> broken, or at least will be soon.
>

> --
> Seamus Byke Kultuur Never at... http://uk.geocities.com/bykekultuur/never.html Cycling Movies Big
> List at... http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html
>
> Derek, Burley Canto

I'll have exact prices up tomorrow evening, but it should be priced much lower than either.

bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> how's it going to compare price wise Zach? any other new stuff from Burley coming out?
>
> Zach Kaplan Cycles wrote:
> > I test rode the new Burley direct steer LWB when I visited the Burley factory in early June of
> > this year. I was impressed with the overall design, handling and ride smoothness. It should give
> > the Tour Easy and Stratus some good competition. Seat braces are optional though I think they
> > should be standard as there is a fair amount of seat back flex without them.
> >
> > Zach Kaplan
> >
> > [email protected] (Kurt Fischer) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >>Me too. ;-)
> >>
> >>First I would add seat-stays, but I suspect they are optional. LWB's are more or less non
> >>existent here in Europe any more, although recumbency started about 20 years ago with USS LWB's,
> >>the Radius Peer Gynt in the first line.
> >>
> >>Maybe 'bents like the new Burley will lead to a rebirth of LWB's in Europe, even more so when
> >>Sun Bicyles actually make a serious effort to step into the European market with their
> >>affordable 'bents. At the moment there is only the Tschech Azub in the sub 1000 Euro class, most
> >>models cost a lot more, and that's a high hurdle for beginners.
> >>
> >>Kurt

I heard one version with lower end components would be priced below $1000 and another would be
priced like their higher end bikes. Other new stuff from Burley includes a new seat base pad, a new
stem/handlebars for the SWB models and a disc brake option on the higher end models. I'm not sure
about the specifics of any of this though and probably won't know until Interbike.

Zach Kaplan

bentbiker wrote:

> "...broken, or at least will be soon"? you've got to be kidding me, Burley frames are one of the
> best made, strongest of any recumbent i've seen.

Sorry, but I'm with Seamus on this one. Irrespective of Burley's rep as Purveyors of Fine Stull, it
/looks/ pre-crashed.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Seamus <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Seat flex aka cheap rear suspension though I suspect thet have a fancy trademarked name for it.
>
> Don't like the look of the v where everything comes together at the bottom bracket. It looks
> broken, or at least will be soon.

I guess you haven't seen the ReBike. It too is a mono tube (square) and has a similiar "V" near the
bottom bracket. I've never heard of those frames breaking.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Edward Wong must be edykated coz e writed:

> Seamus <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Seat flex aka cheap rear suspension though I suspect thet have a fancy trademarked name for it.
>>
>> Don't like the look of the v where everything comes together at the bottom bracket. It looks
>> broken, or at least will be soon.
>
> I guess you haven't seen the ReBike. It too is a mono tube (square) and has a similiar "V" near
> the bottom bracket. I've never heard of those frames breaking.
>
> Edward Wong Orlando, FL
From the picture it looks to me that the BB is slightly forward of the join.

--
Ian