ping Wayne

On Sat 19 Nov 2005 02:46:23p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

> http://www.blunham.demon.co.uk/Yorksgen/Recipes/CakesandPastries/Curd C
> heesecakes.html

Ophelia, this looks delicious! Thank you so much for posting it. Now I have
to be about the business of making the curd. No such thing on our shelves,
but the instructions look simple.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> http://www.blunham.demon.co.uk/Yorksgen/Recipes/CakesandPastries/Curd Cheese
>> cakes.html

> But where does one get curd? It's not something I've seen in
> supermarkets
> for years.

used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have to
make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it and
drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and whey
and you can use the whey to make scones

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 01:09:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

> "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.blunham.demon.co.uk/Yorksgen/Recipes/CakesandPastries/Curd%2
>>> 0Cheese cakes.html

>> But where does one get curd? It's not something I've seen in
>> supermarkets for years.

> used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have to
> make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it and
> drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and whey
> and you can use the whey to make scones

I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's not
surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that are
readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that are
already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I shall have
to look further for the unflavored rennet. I like the idea of using the
whey in scones or American biscuits.

Again, thank you!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Ophelia wrote:
> "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...
>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.blunham.demon.co.uk/Yorksgen/Recipes/CakesandPastries/Curd Cheese
>>>cakes.html

>>But where does one get curd? It's not something I've seen in
>>supermarkets
>>for years.

> used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have to
> make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it and
> drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and whey
> and you can use the whey to make scones

I add vinegar to milk, heat it and wind up with curd? or cottage cheese?

I suspect the curd in the recipes could be replaced by cottaeg cheese.
Does anyone know?

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 05:37:39a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

> Ophelia wrote:
>> "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message
>> news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...

>>>But where does one get curd? It's not something I've seen in
>>>supermarkets for years.

>> used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have
>> to make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it
>> and drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and
>> whey and you can use the whey to make scones
>>

> I add vinegar to milk, heat it and wind up with curd? or cottage cheese?

Vinegar or lemon juice should produce curds, but I'm not sure if they're
suitable for the purpose.

> I suspect the curd in the recipes could be replaced by cottaeg cheese.

I suspect cottage cheese would not be the best choice.

> Does anyone know?

I'd like to know, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote

> I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's not
> surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that are
> readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that are
> already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I shall
> have
> to look further for the unflavored rennet.

I bet they have it at http://www.cheesemaking.com

nancy

Try here. http://www.junketdesserts.com/

--
Susan N.

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun 20 Nov 2005 01:09:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> Ophelia?
>

>> "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message
>> news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...

>>> But where does one get curd? It's not something I've seen in
>>> supermarkets for years.

>> used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have
>> make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it
>> and
>> drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and whey
>> and you can use the whey to make scones

> I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's
> not
> surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that are
> readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that
> are
> already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I shall
> have
> to look further for the unflavored rennet. I like the idea of using
> the
> whey in scones or American biscuits.

You can sour your milk with lemon Wayne

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message
>> news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...

>>>But where does one get curd? It's not something I've seen in
>>>supermarkets
>>>for years.

>> used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have
>> make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it
>> and
>> drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and whey
>> and you can use the whey to make scones
>>

> I add vinegar to milk, heat it and wind up with curd? or cottage
> cheese?
>
> I suspect the curd in the recipes could be replaced by cottaeg cheese.
> Does anyone know?

Cottage cheese seems a little acidic for curd cheese to me Jake

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:53:46 GMT, Ophelia wrote:

> You can sour your milk with lemon Wayne

How do you get the curds?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:53:46 GMT, Ophelia wrote:

> Cottage cheese seems a little acidic for curd cheese to me Jake

It doesn't seem acid to me... but I wonder if it's too wet. I used to
be able to buy somethhing that looked lik dry cottage cheese and was
called Farmer's Cheese. I haven't seen it in a long time, though.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:53:46 GMT, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Cottage cheese seems a little acidic for curd cheese to me Jake

> It doesn't seem acid to me... but I wonder if it's too wet. I used to
> be able to buy somethhing that looked lik dry cottage cheese and was
> called Farmer's Cheese. I haven't seen it in a long time, though.

Hmm actually I think saying acidic might not be quite right, I think I
might have said it is too hard or lumpy.. ie strained too long. Curds
need to be softer.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:53:46 GMT, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> You can sour your milk with lemon Wayne
>>

> How do you get the curds?

sf.. whole milk... soured with some lemon and strained

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:23:56 GMT, Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:53:46 GMT, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> >> You can sour your milk with lemon Wayne
> >>

> > How do you get the curds?

> sf.. whole milk... soured with some lemon and strained

aha... do you have to leave it a certain temperature for a certain
amount of time (treat it like yogurt) before it curdles?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 20 Nov 2005 01:09:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?
>

> > "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...

> >> But where does one get curd? It's not something I've seen in
> >> supermarkets for years.

> > used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have to
> > make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it and
> > drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and whey
> > and you can use the whey to make scones

> I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's not
> surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that are
> readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that are
> already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I shall have
> to look further for the unflavored rennet. I like the idea of using the
> whey in scones or American biscuits.
>
> Again, thank you!

Unflavoured rennet is often sold in the same aisle as pudding mixes or
else with the things to put on ice cream.

Ophelia wrote:
> Hmm actually I think saying acidic might not be quite right, I think I
> might have said it is too hard or lumpy.. ie strained too long. Curds
> need to be softer.

I don't suppose the curds are at all like ricotta cheese?

--
Jean B.

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 07:18:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy Young?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's not
>> surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that are
>> readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that are
>> already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I shall
>> have to look further for the unflavored rennet.

> I bet they have it at http://www.cheesemaking.com
>
> nancy

They do, indeed, Nancy, and in in several types. Also in liquid form.

Thank you!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 09:53:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Cook?

> On 20 Nov 2005 13:14:46 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun 20 Nov 2005 01:09:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?
>>

>>> "EastneyEnder" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:BFA55AC3.64BE%[email protected]...

>>> used to buy it in pork butchers shops when i was a kid but now I have
>>> to make my own. It is simple to make. Add rennet to milk to sour it
>>> and drain through a cheese cloth. You are then left with curds and
>>> whey and you can use the whey to make scones

>>I confess that I've never ever seen curds for sale here, but that's not
>>surprising. :) There are plenty of things I can't get here that are
>>readily available in the UK. Usually one finds rennet tablets that are
>>already flavored, often raspberry, for making rennet custard. I shall
>>have to look further for the unflavored rennet. I like the idea of
>>using the whey in scones or American biscuits.
>>
>>Again, thank you!

> Try here. http://www.junketdesserts.com/

Thanks, Susan. Yes, they have the unflavored rennet tablets.

Now I have a choice. Nancy pointed me to a cheesemaking site that has
liquid rennet.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*