or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

post #1 of 14
What is the best detergent for washing workout clothes? The shorts and
shirt I usually wear for working out or for my jkd class get pretty
sweaty, especially now that its summer. The detergent I usually use
works fine I suppose but I wonder if it still leaves some stuff behind
that a superior detergent may remove. Any advice?
post #2 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

IMO, all detergent leaves stuff behind, some kind of funky combination
of sweat/dirt/detergent. I would stick to your normal stuff, you can
pre-soak and double rinse, but as long as your smelling clean who
cares??
post #3 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

"CliffMacgillivray" <nospam@fake-email.net> wrote
> What is the best detergent for washing workout clothes? The shorts and
> shirt I usually wear for working out or for my jkd class get pretty
> sweaty, especially now that its summer. The detergent I usually use works
> fine I suppose but I wonder if it still leaves some stuff behind that a
> superior detergent may remove. Any advice?

JKD? You're a martial artist?!?

Advice? Stand up in front of your entire MA group, and say, in your best
Richard Simmons voice, "Oh, yoo hoo, fellows, my sweaty sweats are just SO
smelly! What detergent can a girl use?"

David
post #4 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

Detergent? What's that? You mean you WASH your WO clothes? Wow, what a
novel concept.
post #5 of 14

CliffMacgillivray wrote:
> What is the best detergent for washing workout clothes? The shorts and
> shirt I usually wear for working out or for my jkd class get pretty
> sweaty, especially now that its summer. The detergent I usually use
> works fine I suppose but I wonder if it still leaves some stuff behind
> that a superior detergent may remove. Any advice?

Oxyclean. Occasionally vinegar.
post #6 of 14

"bc" <wscii_notthis@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Kevin Lowe wrote:
>> In article <CIAue.43310$Z%5.30418@fe13.highwinds-media.lga>,
>> CliffMacgillivray <nospam@fake-email.net> wrote:
>>
>> > What is the best detergent for washing workout clothes? The shorts and
>> > shirt I usually wear for working out or for my jkd class get pretty
>> > sweaty, especially now that its summer. The detergent I usually use
>> > works fine I suppose but I wonder if it still leaves some stuff behind
>> > that a superior detergent may remove. Any advice?

>> JKD jokes aside, if you're a stinky bastard like me you'll need to soak
>> your gear in nappy cleaner (or some equivalent) every now and again or
>> it will turn yellow and smell over time.
>>

> OK, I'll bite. What's "nappy cleaner?"

I really wish I didn't know the answer to that question.

Fraser
post #7 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

> "bc" <wscii_notthis@comcast.net> wrote
>>
>> OK, I'll bite. What's "nappy cleaner?"

Nappy is an off planet term for diapers.
post #8 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

In article <3i2g7cFjgs8hU1@individual.net>,
"Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:

> "CliffMacgillivray" <nospam@fake-email.net> wrote in message
> > What is the best detergent for washing workout clothes? The shorts and
> > shirt I usually wear for working out or for my jkd class get pretty
> > sweaty, especially now that its summer. The detergent I usually use
> > works fine I suppose but I wonder if it still leaves some stuff behind
> > that a superior detergent may remove. Any advice?

> Try anti-bacterial dishwashing soap. We use it when the workout clothes
> here, especially the synthetic fabrics (lycra, spandex, etc.) get
> stinky, and it works great. Just use it instead of your normal laundry
> soap for a load of wash - good to leave the clothes soak a bit in the
> stuff as well. Sometimes we wash them a second time with regular
> laundry soap immediately afterwards.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Now that is the best idea I've seen yet! :-)
Easy and cheap.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson
post #9 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

In article <1119626016.085511.190490@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"bc" <wscii_notthis@comcast.net> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <3i2g7cFjgs8hU1@individual.net>,
> > "Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "CliffMacgillivray" <nospam@fake-email.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Try anti-bacterial dishwashing soap. We use it when the workout clothes
> > > here, especially the synthetic fabrics (lycra, spandex, etc.) get
> > > stinky, and it works great. Just use it instead of your normal laundry
> > > soap for a load of wash - good to leave the clothes soak a bit in the
> > > stuff as well. Sometimes we wash them a second time with regular
> > > laundry soap immediately afterwards.
> > >
> > > -S-
> > > http://www.kbnj.com
> > >

> > Now that is the best idea I've seen yet! :-)
> > Easy and cheap.

> So, are you talking dishwashing machine soap, or dish soap? I would
> think that dish soap (for washing in the sink) might make too many suds
> for the clothes washing machine.
>
> - bc

I would use Dishsoap, like Ajax.

I've used it to pre-treat for spot cleaning for grease spots, rubbed it
in well and let it sit for a bit prior to washing.

Should not over-sudse your machine if you don't over-do it!

A little goes a long way as it's very concentrated.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson
post #10 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

In article <1119626016.085511.190490@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"bc" <wscii_notthis@comcast.net> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <3i2g7cFjgs8hU1@individual.net>,
> > "Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "CliffMacgillivray" <nospam@fake-email.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Try anti-bacterial dishwashing soap. We use it when the workout clothes
> > > here, especially the synthetic fabrics (lycra, spandex, etc.) get
> > > stinky, and it works great. Just use it instead of your normal laundry
> > > soap for a load of wash - good to leave the clothes soak a bit in the
> > > stuff as well. Sometimes we wash them a second time with regular
> > > laundry soap immediately afterwards.
> > >
> > > -S-
> > > http://www.kbnj.com
> > >

> > Now that is the best idea I've seen yet! :-)
> > Easy and cheap.

> So, are you talking dishwashing machine soap, or dish soap? I would
> think that dish soap (for washing in the sink) might make too many suds
> for the clothes washing machine.
>
> - bc

I would use Dishsoap, like Ajax.

I've used it to pre-treat for spot cleaning for grease spots, rubbed it
in well and let it sit for a bit prior to washing.

Should not over-sudse your machine if you don't over-do it!

A little goes a long way as it's very concentrated.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson
post #11 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

Any regular laundry detergent. Soak in that overnight with the
addition of oxygen bleach -- this bleach is a powder, not a liquid. .
Purex makes such a powdered bleach that is reasonably priced, sold at
WalMart and elsewhere. There are many brands. Often sold as a "color
safe" bleach. The bleach and overnight soak are what do the job. Gets
stinko out of Coolmax and other hard to de-stink polypropylene and
polyesters.

R.J.
post #12 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

Any regular laundry detergent. Soak in that overnight with the
addition of oxygen bleach -- this bleach is a powder, not a liquid. .
Purex makes such a powdered bleach that is reasonably priced, sold at
WalMart and elsewhere. There are many brands. Often sold as a "color
safe" bleach. The bleach and overnight soak are what do the job. Gets
stinko out of Coolmax and other hard to de-stink polypropylene and
polyesters.

R.J.
post #13 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

Thanks to everyone that responded. I went with a comination of ideas. I
did a wash with some oxiclean and anti-bacterial dish soap. Then I
washed teh same load again with my regular detergent. Works perfectly. I
figure the second wash is necessary to get rid of any previously
undissolved oxiclean powder and any extra suds from the dish soap.
post #14 of 14

Re: best laundry detergent for workout clothes?

"CliffMacgillivray" <nospam@fake-email.net> wrote in message
> What is the best detergent for washing workout clothes? The shorts and
> shirt I usually wear for working out or for my jkd class get pretty
> sweaty, especially now that its summer. The detergent I usually use works
> fine I suppose but I wonder if it still leaves some stuff behind that a
> superior detergent may remove. Any advice?

I use Tide with Bleach... Calgon water softner... Oxy Stain Remover...
Borax... and Arm & Hammer washing soda.

Good combo to get things clean.

--
I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
http://www.dwacon.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-2, 06/29/2005
Tested on: 6/29/2005 5:44:21 PM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Fitness