Broccoli

Kat

Guest
I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.

--Kat

"Kat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

Stir fried with black bean sauce, shitaki mushrooms and beef.

This is one of our favorites...takes just minutes to make and is really
food.

Brocolli Cheese Soup
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 C chicken broth
3 cups milk (I used 2 cups and 1 cup fat free half and half)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup or more cooked Brocolli (I cooked mine til it was really soft)
about 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar but anything would
work..even velveta)
Melt margarine, add flour and cook as for white sauce. Add broth and
milk. cook and stir til thick. Add cheese and brocolli. Stir until well
blended.

jillie
Roseville, CA

Well Ratz!!

It really IS food...but I meant to say "Good".

One of these days, I'm going to learn how to type.

jillie
Roseville, CA

"Kat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

Blanch - shock and freeze.

Dimitri

jillie wrote:
> This is one of our favorites...takes just minutes to make and is
> really food.
>
> Brocolli Cheese Soup
> 1 stick butter
> 1/2 cup flour
> 2 1/2 C chicken broth
> 3 cups milk (I used 2 cups and 1 cup fat free half and half)
> 1/4 tsp pepper
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1 cup or more cooked Brocolli (I cooked mine til it was really soft)
> about 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar but anything would
> work..even velveta)
> Melt margarine, add flour and cook as for white sauce. Add broth and
> milk. cook and stir til thick. Add cheese and brocolli. Stir until
> well blended.
>
> jillie
> Roseville, CA

What she said! I've also used canned evaporated milk with good results.

Jill

Kat wrote:
> I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually
> only boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup
> recipes? I don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

Send it to me? <G> Dang, I wish someone would gift me with tons of
broccoli! I'd do as Dimitri suggested and blanch and freeze anything you
aren't going to use quickly.

I'd also suggest, if you like it, broccoli-cheese quiche. Just buy some
frozen deep-dish pie shells (I never attempt making my own crust; not that
adventurous). Eggs, milk, lightly steamed broccoli, salt, pepper, a little
ground nutmeg, shredded cheddar cheese on top... baked at about 350F for
25-30 minutes. Yummy!

Jill

"Kat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

Cut into tiny florettes, sprinkled on white pizza with slices of fresh
tomato, oregano and a boatload of garlic. Rock & roll. Or, frittata.

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

> I'd also suggest, if you like it, broccoli-cheese quiche. Just buy some
> frozen deep-dish pie shells (I never attempt making my own crust; not that
> adventurous). Eggs, milk, lightly steamed broccoli, salt, pepper, a
> little
> ground nutmeg, shredded cheddar cheese on top... baked at about 350F for
> 25-30 minutes. Yummy!

The bacon, you forgot the bacon! Cook it first and chop it up and
add it to the egg mixture with a minced onion ... and I add the shredded
swiss into the mix, not on top.

I use 4 eggs and a cup each of the light cream and milk. Makes 2
deep dish quiches ... they freeze well, too.

nancy

Kat wrote:

> I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually
> only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
>
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

Do you have a couple of Chinese steamer baskets? i like to put a piece
of fish in the top one, broccoli in the bottom and steam till done,
letting any fish juices drip down over the broccoli, i then finish it
with a bit of garlic butter and lemon juice.

A curried cream of broccoli soup is very nice, just a regular cream of
broccoli but with a generous pinch of good strong curry powder or try
flavouring it with turmeric instead of curry powder, can be frozen.

A veggie loaf made with finely diced broccoli and spices using egg,
buttermilk and cheese for a binder can be very good, my recipe calls for
adding bacon but i have made it with out and often substitute any number
of other veggies than what the recipe calls for.

Macaroni with broccoli is a very good dish, broccoli florets and garlic
sautéed in oil with plenty of black pepper served on top of pasta with a
toping of grated cheese.

A veggie soup heavy on the broccoli.

Broccoli with hollandaise

Broccoli casserole

Broccoli chowder with ham and swiss cheese

A "sauce verde" green sauce can be made with a whole head of broccoli
about 1 pound and chicken stock, pepper and creme fraiche. The broccoli
cooked and combined with the other ingredients in a food processor till
smooth, served over pasta or other veggies, make in large quantities and
freeze.

A basic pesto substituting broccoli for the basil, also suitable for
freezing.

A lot gets eaten raw around here in salads.
---
JL

"Kat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

here's an easy delicious gourmet side dish

STEAMED BROCCOLI WITH TOASTED PINE NUTS & TRUFFLE OIL

this is a very elegant and simple side dish that is very flavorful and so
easy to prepare

Fresh Broccoli, cut into florets and steamed al dente
Butter
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Pine nuts, toasted
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
White truffle oil

Peel the stems of the broccoli and cut into matchstick pieces. Steam the
broccoli and the matchstick pieces until tender crisp, remove from heat,
drain well. Add a small amount of butter, salt and pepper to taste.

Plate up on individual plates, sprinkling with toasted pine nuts and
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Drizzle with white truffle oil and serve.

Wine recommendation: Chardonnay

if you are interested you can check out the recipe with a picture on my
website listed under "side dishes" www.finedinings.com

"Joseph Littleshoes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A veggie loaf made with finely diced broccoli and spices using egg,
> buttermilk and cheese for a binder can be very good, my recipe calls
> for
> adding bacon but i have made it with out and often substitute any
> number
> of other veggies than what the recipe calls for.

May we have the recipe for this one please Joseph?

> A veggie soup heavy on the broccoli.

.... and this one?

Kat wrote:

> I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

If it's really fresh, it's good raw.

You can blanch it and freeze it. Frozen broccoli is great for making
broc cheese soup.

Bob

Nancy Young wrote on 30 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > I'd also suggest, if you like it, broccoli-cheese quiche. Just buy
> > some frozen deep-dish pie shells (I never attempt making my own
> > crust; not that adventurous). Eggs, milk, lightly steamed broccoli,
> > salt, pepper, a little
> > ground nutmeg, shredded cheddar cheese on top... baked at about 350F
> > for 25-30 minutes. Yummy!

> The bacon, you forgot the bacon! Cook it first and chop it up and
> add it to the egg mixture with a minced onion ... and I add the
> shredded swiss into the mix, not on top.
>
> I use 4 eggs and a cup each of the light cream and milk. Makes 2
> deep dish quiches ... they freeze well, too.
>
> nancy

I like to get a frypan to temp (medium ) put in some oil. Put in the
brocolli and briefy stir it about...Then chuck in some chicken stock ...Oh
I'd say maybe 4 oz...just enough to cover the bottom of the pan by about a
1/4 inch and quickly lid it. And it's done to tendercrisp in under 5 mins.

I'm talking 1 tsp. chicken powdered stock and 4 oz.plain water
--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

"Kat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

Hmmm.

Baby trees and cheese.

Make a cheddar cheese sauce and pour over steamed Broccoli.

;-)

Dimitri

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:cNpjf.3330$Y%[email protected]...

> "Kat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>>I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
>> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
>> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>>
>> --Kat

> Hmmm.
>
> Baby trees and cheese.
>
> Make a cheddar cheese sauce and pour over steamed Broccoli.
>
> ;-)
>
> Dimitri

Baby trees and cheese.... that's good, I like that.. ;)

sha sha

In article <[email protected]>,
Kat <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

Blanch, chill, and freeze.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-28-05 - Sam I Am! and Hello

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> I'd also suggest, if you like it, broccoli-cheese quiche. Just buy
>> some frozen deep-dish pie shells (I never attempt making my own
>> crust; not that adventurous). Eggs, milk, lightly steamed broccoli,
>> salt, pepper, a little
>> ground nutmeg, shredded cheddar cheese on top... baked at about 350F
>> for 25-30 minutes. Yummy!

> The bacon, you forgot the bacon! Cook it first and chop it up and
> add it to the egg mixture with a minced onion ... and I add the
> shredded swiss into the mix, not on top.
>
> I use 4 eggs and a cup each of the light cream and milk. Makes 2
> deep dish quiches ... they freeze well, too.
>
> nancy

I never put bacon in broccoli quiche; I'll have to give it a try :)

Jill

Kat wrote:

> I was just given tons of broccoli. What can I do with it? I usually only
> boil or steam it. Any great (but easy cause I am lazy) soup recipes? I
> don't want the massive amount of broccoli to go to waste.
>
> --Kat

I don't have any recipes handy & not much time to post tonight but
here's some ideas to get you started - cream of broccoli soup, cheese
broccoli soup, blanch & freeze, quiche especially along with ham &
mushrooms, pizza topping, casserole made with rice/cheese/broccoli, raw
with dip.