Men portayed as buffoons on television

zoo

Guest
I was wondering how people feel about how men are portrayed on
television, particularly commercials (in America, not sure about other
countries.)

Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.

All gender jokes aside, we all know this isn't true. This is not what I
see in real life. So why are men portrayed this way? Is it "payback"
for our history of inequality? Is there a "war" against men and boys?

Men are probably responsible for the making of many of these
commercials, and paint their own gender in an unflattering light. Why?
Is it guilt?

I'm wondering how other people feel about it... and if they even notice
it as I do..

On 1 Dec 2005 11:58:00 -0800, "zoo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
>retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
>healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
>pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.

Dew yew feel dis is unacurate?

On 1 Dec 2005 11:58:00 -0800, "zoo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
>retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
>healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
>pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.

Dew yew feel dis is unacurate?

On 1 Dec 2005 11:58:00 -0800, "zoo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
>retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
>healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
>pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.

Dew yew feel dis is unacurate?

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:00:48 -0500, TheBillRodgers
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 1 Dec 2005 11:58:00 -0800, "zoo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
>>retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
>>healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
>>pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.

>Dew yew feel dis is unacurate?

I crack me up!

zoo wrote:
> I was wondering how people feel about how men are portrayed on
> television, particularly commercials (in America, not sure about other
> countries.)
>
> Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
> retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
> healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
> pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.
>
> All gender jokes aside, we all know this isn't true. This is not what I
> see in real life. So why are men portrayed this way? Is it "payback"
> for our history of inequality? Is there a "war" against men and boys?
>
> Men are probably responsible for the making of many of these
> commercials, and paint their own gender in an unflattering light. Why?
> Is it guilt?
>
> I'm wondering how other people feel about it... and if they even notice
> it as I do..

You are watching the wrong shows.

TV is mostly for and by stupid people. Watch something with decent
writing with intelligent themes and the characters will be portrayed
with respect.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single TV show I watch that
treats men like fools. I can't speak to your viewpoints on commercials,
though, because I generally mute them.

Dally

Dally wrote:

> You are watching the wrong shows.

Wrong.

> TV is mostly for and by stupid people. Watch something with decent
> writing with intelligent themes and the characters will be portrayed
> with respect.
>
> Off the top of my head I can't think of a single TV show I watch that
> treats men like fools.

I wasn't asking what you watch. Let's forget shows then and stick to
commercials.

> I can't speak to your viewpoints on commercials,
> though, because I generally mute them.

So you haven't seen commercials where men are potrayed like idiots? You
mute every commercial ever? This is an uninformative dishonest answer.
If you can't see it you're blind or biased.

Really it's not in dispute that men are depicted as morons in
commercials, the question is why. Not if.

"zoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was wondering how people feel about how men are portrayed on
> television, particularly commercials (in America, not sure about other
> countries.)
>
> Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
> retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
> healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
> pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.
>
> All gender jokes aside, we all know this isn't true. This is not what I
> see in real life. So why are men portrayed this way? Is it "payback"
> for our history of inequality? Is there a "war" against men and boys?
>
> Men are probably responsible for the making of many of these
> commercials, and paint their own gender in an unflattering light. Why?
> Is it guilt?

I think it's just a lack of creativity. Plug the characters in the formula
and sell it. Then again, it could be that the writers have, shall we say,
father issues.

zoo wrote:

> I was wondering how people feel about how men are portrayed on
> television, particularly commercials (in America, not sure about other
> countries.)
>
> Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
> retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
> healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
> pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.
>
> All gender jokes aside, we all know this isn't true. This is not what I
> see in real life. So why are men portrayed this way? Is it "payback"
> for our history of inequality? Is there a "war" against men and boys?
>
> Men are probably responsible for the making of many of these
> commercials, and paint their own gender in an unflattering light. Why?
> Is it guilt?
>
> I'm wondering how other people feel about it... and if they even notice
> it as I do..

I have said something to the effect of this for a couple of years now. I
have to disagree with you though on a minor point. There is an income
level where this changes. As well as an age level. You don't see Mecedes
commercials where the men are idiots. Instead you see successful 50
somethings with great arm trophies. (When the comm. is geared at men).

What you do see are the men between 20 and 49 being represented as
idiots. I think that the reason for this is prolly two fold. One, it
allows the women to feel superior to the men. And two it allows the men
in this age range to feel like they are better then the folks on the
shows/commercials. That's really only one reason with two targets, huh?

I don't think tht this is an entirely encompassing phenom, but I do see
it a lot. There are shows out there that depict men and women as equals,
etc. But a lot of what seems to be popular sit com stuff definately
seems to be making the men the patsies. I guess that is why I don't
watch much of it.

Ryan

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:02:52 -0800, Ryan Case
<[email protected]> wrote:

>zoo wrote:
>
>> I was wondering how people feel about how men are portrayed on
>> television, particularly commercials (in America, not sure about other
>> countries.)
>>
>> Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
>> retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
>> healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
>> pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.
>>
>> All gender jokes aside, we all know this isn't true. This is not what I
>> see in real life. So why are men portrayed this way? Is it "payback"
>> for our history of inequality? Is there a "war" against men and boys?
>>
>> Men are probably responsible for the making of many of these
>> commercials, and paint their own gender in an unflattering light. Why?
>> Is it guilt?
>>
>> I'm wondering how other people feel about it... and if they even notice
>> it as I do..
>>

>I have said something to the effect of this for a couple of years now. I
>have to disagree with you though on a minor point. There is an income
>level where this changes. As well as an age level. You don't see Mecedes
>commercials where the men are idiots. Instead you see successful 50
>somethings with great arm trophies. (When the comm. is geared at men).
>
>What you do see are the men between 20 and 49 being represented as
>idiots. I think that the reason for this is prolly two fold. One, it
>allows the women to feel superior to the men. And two it allows the men
>in this age range to feel like they are better then the folks on the
>shows/commercials. That's really only one reason with two targets, huh?
>
>I don't think tht this is an entirely encompassing phenom, but I do see
>it a lot. There are shows out there that depict men and women as equals,
>etc. But a lot of what seems to be popular sit com stuff definately
>seems to be making the men the patsies. I guess that is why I don't
>watch much of it.

When did you last see a cop movie when the top cop wasn't a woman or a
black guy? And how many big tough men get the **** knocked out of them
by small, slim, attractive very hot women?

There is definitely a movement toward social engineering in the
entertainment industry, which of course is riddled with PC and
homosexuality.

How much of it influences what happens in real life I wonder.

zoo wrote:
> Dally wrote:
>
>>You are watching the wrong shows.

> Wrong.

Well, if you're watching shows where men are portrayed as buffoons and
I'm not, I'd say you are.

Can we be more specific here? I regularly watch Charmed and House and
Nova. I watch some of the CSI shows once in a while. I used to watch
West Wing when Aaron Sorkin was writing it. (I also like Sports Night
when Aaron Sorkin wrote it.) I watch some of the Law & Order shows
sometimes, and catch The Daily Show when I can. My guilty pleasures are
watching Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. My all-time favorite
series was Babylon 5.

We turn the TV on to watch specific shows. If it's on other than that
it's either on PBS programming for the kids or news programming.

None of these shows show men as buffoons.

What are you watching?

> Let's forget shows then and stick to
> commercials.
>
>>I can't speak to your viewpoints on commercials,
>>though, because I generally mute them.

> So you haven't seen commercials where men are potrayed like idiots?

Ever? Yes. There's a Dominos one where they're watching Home Shopping
Network and buying figurines that I think is a bit stupid, but they're
not buffoons, exactly. Are men portrayed as buffoons more often than
women? Not that I've noticed. Can you be more specific?

> You
> mute every commercial ever? This is an uninformative dishonest answer.

Actually, yes. My entire family does and always has. We might watch a
commercial if we're specifically looking at it, but for the most part we
disengage from the TV when the commercials come on. Also, note that I
don't watch very much television, so I'm not exposed to all that much.

> If you can't see it you're blind or biased.

Quite probably. So be specific and point some out.

> Really it's not in dispute that men are depicted as morons in
> commercials, the question is why. Not if.

Is your contention that they're portrayed disrespectfully more often
than women are portrayed disrespectfully?

If that's the case I'd have to say it's because they're targeting people
who feel more comfortable with men as buffoons. That sort of makes
sense, given that it's stupid people watching most of the TV shows.

Dally

zoo wrote:
> Dally wrote:
>
>>You are watching the wrong shows.

> Wrong.

Well, if you're watching shows where men are portrayed as buffoons and
I'm not, I'd say you are.

Can we be more specific here? I regularly watch Charmed and House and
Nova. I watch some of the CSI shows once in a while. I used to watch
West Wing when Aaron Sorkin was writing it. (I also like Sports Night
when Aaron Sorkin wrote it.) I watch some of the Law & Order shows
sometimes, and catch The Daily Show when I can. My guilty pleasures are
watching Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. My all-time favorite
series was Babylon 5.

We turn the TV on to watch specific shows. If it's on other than that
it's either on PBS programming for the kids or news programming.

None of these shows show men as buffoons.

What are you watching?

> Let's forget shows then and stick to
> commercials.
>
>>I can't speak to your viewpoints on commercials,
>>though, because I generally mute them.

> So you haven't seen commercials where men are potrayed like idiots?

Ever? Yes. There's a Dominos one where they're watching Home Shopping
Network and buying figurines that I think is a bit stupid, but they're
not buffoons, exactly. Are men portrayed as buffoons more often than
women? Not that I've noticed. Can you be more specific?

> You
> mute every commercial ever? This is an uninformative dishonest answer.

Actually, yes. My entire family does and always has. We might watch a
commercial if we're specifically looking at it, but for the most part we
disengage from the TV when the commercials come on. Also, note that I
don't watch very much television, so I'm not exposed to all that much.

> If you can't see it you're blind or biased.

Quite probably. So be specific and point some out.

> Really it's not in dispute that men are depicted as morons in
> commercials, the question is why. Not if.

Is your contention that they're portrayed disrespectfully more often
than women are portrayed disrespectfully?

If that's the case I'd have to say it's because they're targeting people
who feel more comfortable with men as buffoons. That sort of makes
sense, given that it's stupid people watching most of the TV shows.

Dally

Ryan Case <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> zoo wrote:
>
>> I was wondering how people feel about how men are portrayed on
>> television, particularly commercials (in America, not sure about other
>> countries.)
>>
>> Have you noticed how men are almost always portayed as barely above
>> retarded? Women are these wonderful, smart, sharp, attractive, thin,
>> healthy people, and men are usually dumb, obnoxious, overweight,
>> pathetic, etc... barely possessing the intelligence of a baboon.
>>
>> All gender jokes aside, we all know this isn't true. This is not what I
>> see in real life. So why are men portrayed this way? Is it "payback"
>> for our history of inequality? Is there a "war" against men and boys?
>>
>> Men are probably responsible for the making of many of these
>> commercials, and paint their own gender in an unflattering light. Why?
>> Is it guilt?
>>
>> I'm wondering how other people feel about it... and if they even notice
>> it as I do..
>>

> I have said something to the effect of this for a couple of years now. I
> have to disagree with you though on a minor point. There is an income
> level where this changes. As well as an age level. You don't see Mecedes
> commercials where the men are idiots. Instead you see successful 50
> somethings with great arm trophies. (When the comm. is geared at men).
>
> What you do see are the men between 20 and 49 being represented as
> idiots. I think that the reason for this is prolly two fold. One, it
> allows the women to feel superior to the men. And two it allows the men
> in this age range to feel like they are better then the folks on the
> shows/commercials. That's really only one reason with two targets, huh?
>
> I don't think tht this is an entirely encompassing phenom, but I do see
> it a lot. There are shows out there that depict men and women as equals,
> etc. But a lot of what seems to be popular sit com stuff definately
> seems to be making the men the patsies. I guess that is why I don't
> watch much of it.

I think it's been a staple of comedy for years and years. Watch "The Lady
Eve" for a quick example. I don't put it down to anti-male bias, but the
reverse. It's funny to see the top dog bumbling around. It's trickier to
make fun of someone who isn't in the power position. Either they have to
have redeeming attributes (Marilyn Monroe) or be so low on the totem pole
that laughing at them is okay (Stepin Fetchit).

Hugh

--
Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
chocolate. ("Ladi")

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:21:05 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote:

>I can't speak to your viewpoints on commercials,
>though, because I generally mute them.

She sits on the speaker?

/ ~ \
|\__/
| |
| . |
| `.` |
__| `` | `.` |/~~\
/ | | | `` |/~~\
\ ` . . | |
\ . . ` /
\ . . /
\ . /
| . |
| |
| |

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:45:11 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote:

> Grey's Anatomy

OMG, the stupidest show on TV?

/ ~ \
|\__/
| |
| . |
| `.` |
__| `` | `.` |/~~\
/ | | | `` |/~~\
\ ` . . | |
\ . . ` /
\ . . /
\ . /
| . |
| |
| |

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:44:39 +0000, Charles <[email protected]> wrote:

>which of course is riddled with PC and
>homosexuality.

This is called "Charles gets a boner".

/ ~ \
|\__/
| |
| . |
| `.` |
__| `` | `.` |/~~\
/ | | | `` |/~~\
\ ` . . | |
\ . . ` /
\ . . /
\ . /
| . |
| |
| |

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:13:34 GMT, Hugh Beyer <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I think it's been a staple of comedy for years and years. Watch "The Lady
>Eve" for a quick example. I don't put it down to anti-male bias, but the
>reverse. It's funny to see the top dog bumbling around. It's trickier to
>make fun of someone who isn't in the power position. Either they have to
>have redeeming attributes (Marilyn Monroe) or be so low on the totem pole
>that laughing at them is okay (Stepin Fetchit).

Ever watch "Get Smart"?

/ ~ \
|\__/
| |