so what exactly is "overtraining"?

TG

Guest
A couple of years ago I was doing 1 hour full body routine m-w-f and one
hour cardio (treadmill) on t-t-s, and roughly following the HST routines
based on my 5 rep max for the m-w-f workouts. After 5 months of this
there was minimal noticeable mass gain, my weight was down about 10 lbs
and bf was noticeably reduced. I was eating at slightly more than
maintenance at the time. Beginning to think I am an "ectomorph", (is
that the right term for hard gainer?)

Been reading a bit on this and by some's opinions I may have been
"overtraining" if my goal was to gain mass.

Since my main goal is to add some mass and worry about bf later, I am
thinking about starting again with short, heavy workouts on saturdays
and wednesdays, or something like that, keeping them to twice weekly.
Also keeping the cardio to twice weekly, or maybe none at all. I'm not a
big eater and find it hard to eat all day to get above maintenance.

thoughts?

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 21:38:39 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:

>Beginning to think I am an "ectomorph", (is
>that the right term for hard gainer?)

There's also a philosophy that states, something like, *NO SUCH THING
AS OVER TRAINING - ONLY UNDER EATING!*

How'zat other one go?

TRAIN, EAT, REST, REPEAT!

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/

TG <[email protected]> wrote in message news:z3Kjf.230624
> there was minimal noticeable mass gain, my weight was down about 10

lbs
> and bf was noticeably reduced. I was eating at slightly more than
> maintenance at the time.

I'm curious to know your definition of maintenance. I would say if you
lost weight you were eating below maintenance.

TG <[email protected]> wrote in message news:z3Kjf.230624
> there was minimal noticeable mass gain, my weight was down about 10

lbs
> and bf was noticeably reduced. I was eating at slightly more than
> maintenance at the time.

I'm curious to know your definition of maintenance. I would say if you
lost weight you were eating below maintenance.

That includes tossed salads Spurt- whats the protein count on that? you
bald *******

TG <[email protected]> wrote in news:z3Kjf.230624$ir4.229618@edtnps90:

> A couple of years ago I was doing 1 hour full body routine m-w-f and one
> hour cardio (treadmill) on t-t-s, and roughly following the HST routines
> based on my 5 rep max for the m-w-f workouts. After 5 months of this
> there was minimal noticeable mass gain, my weight was down about 10 lbs
> and bf was noticeably reduced. I was eating at slightly more than
> maintenance at the time. Beginning to think I am an "ectomorph", (is
> that the right term for hard gainer?)
>
> Been reading a bit on this and by some's opinions I may have been
> "overtraining" if my goal was to gain mass.
>
> Since my main goal is to add some mass and worry about bf later, I am
> thinking about starting again with short, heavy workouts on saturdays
> and wednesdays, or something like that, keeping them to twice weekly.
> Also keeping the cardio to twice weekly, or maybe none at all. I'm not a
> big eater and find it hard to eat all day to get above maintenance.
>
> thoughts?

Properly speaking, overtraining is a systemic response to too much stress
over too long a period with no breaks to recover. Most people don't work
that hard. Most people push too hard in the short term and get injured.

Sounds like your routine was burning a lot of cals, more than you were
taking in. Try doing the HST routine by the book, with much less cardio. And
track your food on fitday or something to make sure you're eating enough.

Hugh

--
Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
chocolate. ("Ladi")

im i the only one who couldnt help but read bf as boyfriend...