These shoes are rank

> My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

Hose 'em down, add a little dishwashing liquid, scrub a bit, hose some more, leave out to dry. (You
can put the insoles & laces in the washing machine, too.)

Bill "shoes don't stink, but gloves another story" S.

news:[email protected]...
> My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

Don't stick your nose in them?? Seriously, they're cycling shoes! Who cares how they smell!! My
hockey equipment smells but I don't soak it rose oil!! ;-)

Cheers,

Scott..

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:57:05 GMT, <[email protected]>,

>My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

There are industrial duty enzyme based cleaners which might work. They'll supposedly take out the
smell left by decaying dead bodies.

You could try filling the shoes with dry clay or baking soda and leaving them for a few days.
--
zk

Get a can of disinfectant kitchen spray that is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-mold. I
prefer Bissell's brand. Wash the shoes and your feet, then spray them all thoroughly, getting it
up inside where the toes fit. Repeat this once a week. I cured my chronic rotten feet and shoes
with this several years ago. No super-resistant bacterial strains have yet evolved from this, to
devour my flesh.

Steve McDonald

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:57:05 GMT, Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli

> My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

Use them to repel vampires. That's about all I can do with any of my shoes after I've worn them for
a few months.

--
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:14:58 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
>> My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?
>
> Hose 'em down, add a little dishwashing liquid, scrub a bit, hose some more, leave out to dry.
> (You can put the insoles & laces in the washing machine, too.)

I doubt that would do it. Nothing gets real footstank out of shoes.

I have had moderate success with this: Remove insoles, laces, etc. Open up as much as possible. Soak
with Febreeze. Let dry. Soak with Febreeze. Let dry. Soak with Febreeze. Let dry. Add brand new
odor-eater insoles.

It works, but doesn't last terribly long.

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:14:58 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?
> >
> > Hose 'em down, add a little dishwashing liquid, scrub a bit, hose some more, leave out to dry.
> > (You can put the insoles & laces in the washing machine, too.)
>
> I doubt that would do it. Nothing gets real footstank out of shoes.

Foot smell is directly proportional to the amount of bacteria living in your shoe (and on your
feet). Killing the existing bacteria and making the shoe inhospitable for bacterial growth is the
solution. Start with a good cleaning regime. The soapy water pouring down your body in the shower
isn't enough to get your feet clean. Those with smelly feet should scrub them thoroughly and make
sure they are dried well after the shower (and don't forget between your toes!). Anti-bacterial
insoles in your shoes will help immensly. Cotton socks and foot powder will help absorb the
moisture. If you have really sweaty feet, change your socks mid-day. And always try to wear some
socks even when you aren't wearing your shoes. Bare feet pick up bacteria from everywhere. Finally,
be sure to bleach your socks in the wash.

I'm not quite this fastidious, but my shoes rarely smell despite being cooped up most of the day.

Good luck, Buck

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 02:48:37 GMT, Buck" u n k m a i l g a l a x y c o r p . c o m <@> wrote: <good
points snipped>
> immensly. Cotton socks and foot powder will help absorb the moisture. If

Cotton socks get so hot and swampy. Performance fabrics, like found in Dhalgren hiking socks, feel
slightly better.

> have really sweaty feet, change your socks mid-day. And always try to

Changing my socks helps. Wearing sandals with no socks as much as possible helps more.

> wear some socks even when you aren't wearing your shoes. Bare feet pick up bacteria from
> everywhere. Finally, be sure to bleach your socks in the wash.

Bare feet don't sweat or get stinky. Same goes for almost-bare feet in sandals. Then, when I wear
shoes for an hour, I do okay. If I wear them for a few hours, though...no amount of foot powder,
antibacterial insoles, and expensive socks helps.

I will pay more attention to scrubbing my feet and bleaching my socks.

--
Rick Onanian

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 02:48:37 GMT, Buck" u n k m a i l g a l a x y c o r p
.
> c o m <@> wrote: <good points snipped>
> > immensly. Cotton socks and foot powder will help absorb the moisture. If
>
> Cotton socks get so hot and swampy. Performance fabrics, like found in Dhalgren hiking socks, feel
> slightly better.

Only if your shoes aren't airy enough. Perhaps you are lacing them way too tight. I also find that
it helps if you walk around occasionally. The motion moves fresh air through the shoes.

> > have really sweaty feet, change your socks mid-day. And always try to
>
> Changing my socks helps. Wearing sandals with no socks as much as possible helps more.

Bare feet on sandals can get just as nasty as a shoe or even worse if you wear them anywhere near
dirt. They have a greater opportunity to air out, but I've seen (and smelled) plenty of nasty feet
wandering around during the summer. The worst are the ones whose feet are actually sticking to the
sandles and make a shlurping noise as they walk. Ewwww!

> Bare feet don't sweat or get stinky. Same goes for almost-bare feet in sandals.

See my notes above about bare feet in sandals. Bare feet in general pick up bacteria which are then
transferred into your shoes. Then your feet get sweaty and the process starts again. If you are in
the habit of wearing shoes without socks, or walking around barefoot before putting on your shoes,
then it is no wonder that you are having problems. Try this for a week and get back to us: first, be
sure your shower stall and your bathroom floor are both very clean. Scrub them down, dry them, then
apply an anti-bacterial spray like lysol. Second, when you shower, clean your feet very well with an
anti-bacterial soap. Dry them thoroughly. Third, before you walk around, put on a pair of clean
socks. Don't walk around barefoot. You have already seeded your home with bacteria and fungus by
walking around barefoot. Avoid picking up the gunk on your freshly cleaned feet. your shoes should
be thoroughly cleaned as well and allowed to air out at least overnight. Alternating between several
pairs of shoes is also helpful.

Before your feet get too swampy in your shoes, air them out a bit by walking, then plan on
changing socks mid-day. If you have to, take your shoes off when at your desk (but keep those
socks on, buddy!).

Being fastidious about your feet will keep the swampy smell at bay. I've had to deal with this
myself and with a couple of old roommates. Believe me, there is no need for smelly feet. It is
all about changing some habits. I used to stay barefoot all the time (and had some pretty smelly
feet as well), but now I'm always wearing socks, cleaning my feet, and the smelly foot sydrome is
kept at bay.

-Buck

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:13:27 GMT, Buck" u n k m a i l g a l a x y c o r p . c o m <@> wrote:
>> Cotton socks get so hot and swampy. Performance
>
> Only if your shoes aren't airy enough. Perhaps you are lacing them way too tight. I also find that
> it helps if you walk around occasionally. The motion moves fresh air through the shoes.

I have been lacing tighter lately, but my issues pre-date that habit.

I don't have a desk-all-day job; rather, I do get some walking in. However, I can't seem to find any
shoes that breathe at all, especially with cotton socks.

> Bare feet on sandals can get just as nasty as a shoe or even worse if you wear them anywhere near
> dirt. They have a greater opportunity to air out, but I've seen (and smelled) plenty of nasty feet
> wandering around during summer. The worst are the ones whose feet are actually sticking to the
> sandles and make a shlurping noise as they walk. Ewwww!

Ick. Mine do nicely in sandals, and do better in shoes because I wear sandals so much.

> sweaty and the process starts again. If you are in the habit of wearing shoes without socks, or
> walking around barefoot before putting on your shoes, then it is no wonder that you are having
> problems. Try this for a

I never wear shoes without socks, and I rarely walk outside without footwear.

> Alternating between several pairs of shoes is also helpful.

This is the single best thing I can do; but I never remember to, except when I'm too busy to do it.

> Before your feet get too swampy in your shoes, air them out a bit by walking, then plan on
> changing socks mid-day. If you have to, take your

That helps, much like switching shoes.

> shoes off when at your desk (but keep those socks on, buddy!).

I wear sandals when I'm going to be at my desk for a while.

> Being fastidious about your feet will keep the swampy smell at bay. I've
<snip>
> well), but now I'm always wearing socks, cleaning my feet, and the smelly foot sydrome is
> kept at bay.

Well, with all your scientific and detailed advice (greatly appreciated!), I've come to the
conclusion that:

-My major problem is discomfort from heat inside the shoes

-The smelly shoe issue was when I wore shoes all day every day; it is greatly improved now that I
no longer do that

I think I just have very hot, sweaty feet, but no excessive bacterial/fungal problem.

I used to have a bacterial problem, I think, evidenced by my ingrown toenail, which used to be
infected with my previous habits, but no longer is with my current, sandal-favoring habits.

And now that we've made everybody in the newsgroup vomit, as well as ruined any chance I'll ever
have of selling used cycling shoes (hah!), we'll try to head back towards being on-topic... I can't
wait to try my new SPD sandals.

--
Rick Onanian