Helmets

Timo

Guest
I'm relatively new to this whole helmet debate.

Up to now I've used one because I simply assumed it offers more
protection than no helmet.

A few articles I've read on the subject contradict that assumption.

I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear a
helmet or not?

Timo wrote:
> I'm relatively new to this whole helmet debate.
>
> Up to now I've used one because I simply assumed it offers more
> protection than no helmet.
>
> A few articles I've read on the subject contradict that assumption.
>
> I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear a
> helmet or not?

If you want. Don't go headbanging cars or lorries though, the helmet
cannot be relied on to protect you to any great extent.

Helemts are really useful for keeping your head warm, as a mount for a
light, and as a carrier for your gloves/hat when you get to where you
are going.

...d

Timo wrote:

> I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear a
> helmet or not?

Only you can decide. http://www.cyclehelmets.org is a good place to
inform yourself about the decision you are making.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

"Timo" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm relatively new to this whole helmet debate.
>
> Up to now I've used one because I simply assumed it offers more
> protection than no helmet.
>
> A few articles I've read on the subject contradict that assumption.
>
> I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear
> a helmet or not?

Do some research and make your own mind up while the choice is still
available to you. http://www.cyclehelmets.org/ is a good place to
start.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

Considering the huge debate about helmets, this OP stinks of being a troll.

Leave it alone!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
news:[email protected]...

Pinky wrote:
> Considering the huge debate about helmets, this OP stinks of being a
> troll.

But there's no debate caused. Until someone goes off on a tangent about what
I wrote in this post.

--
Ambrose

Just read the post by "ambrose" -- and use your grey matter ----nuff said.

I shall not post again on this string.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
news:[email protected]...

David Martin wrote:
> Timo wrote:
>> I'm relatively new to this whole helmet debate.
>>
>> Up to now I've used one because I simply assumed it offers more
>> protection than no helmet.
>>
>> A few articles I've read on the subject contradict that assumption.
>>
>> I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear
>> a helmet or not?

> If you want. Don't go headbanging cars or lorries though, the helmet
> cannot be relied on to protect you to any great extent.
>
> Helemts are really useful for keeping your head warm, as a mount for a
> light, and as a carrier for your gloves/hat when you get to where you
> are going.
>
> ..d

And you can stick mirrors on them.
--

Martin Bulmer

Timo wrote:
> I'm relatively new to this whole helmet debate.
>
> Up to now I've used one because I simply assumed it offers more
> protection than no helmet.
>
> A few articles I've read on the subject contradict that assumption.
>
> I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear a
> helmet or not?

Depends whether you like lugging a sweaty plastic pisspot around at your
destination.

Not Responding wrote:

> Timo wrote:
>
>> I'm relatively new to this whole helmet debate.
>>
>> Up to now I've used one because I simply assumed it offers more
>> protection than no helmet.
>>
>> A few articles I've read on the subject contradict that assumption.
>>
>> I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear a
>> helmet or not?
>>

> Depends whether you like lugging a sweaty plastic pisspot around at your
> destination.

Cos if you do, you probably won't want to carry a helmet too :)

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> It's like deja vu all over again!

Not again! ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Please, don't be so quick to accuse me. Can I not ask a simple
question?

As I've said, I'm new to the helmet discussion, and cycling politics in
general, especially in this country. I've been cycling for the last 20
years almost every day of my life. And believe it or not - I did not
even realise there *was* a helmet discussion until recently, when I
started reading about cycling on the web. That's why I came to this
board in the first place.

I don't read cycling publications. I don't wear fancy gear. I'm not
familiar with cycling jargon. I don't take part in events. I don't
talk to any friends about cycling issues. I'm not a "cyclist". I'm
only a person who happens to cycle.

Please, don't be so quick to accuse me. Can I not ask a simple
question?

>Considering the huge debate about helmets, this OP stinks of being a troll.

As I've said, I'm new to the helmet discussion, and cycling politics in
general, especially in this country. I've been cycling for the last 20
years almost every day of my life. And believe it or not - I did not
even realise there *was* a helmet discussion until recently, when I
started reading about cycling on the web. That's why I came to this
forum in the first place.

I don't read cycling publications. I don't wear fancy gear. I'm not
familiar with cycling jargon. I don't take part in events. I don't
talk to any friends about cycling issues. I'm not a "cyclist". I'm
only a person who happens to cycle.

"Kinetic" <[email protected]>typed

> Please, don't be so quick to accuse me. Can I not ask a simple
> question?

You can ask; we don't have to repeat the same things till we've run out
of energy.

The whole helmet debate has run and rerun here ad nauseam recently. Go
to Google Groups cos I've nowt new to say.

Yawn

Goodnight.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Timo wrote:
> I'm relatively new to this whole helmet debate.
>
> Up to now I've used one because I simply assumed it offers more
> protection than no helmet.
>
> A few articles I've read on the subject contradict that assumption.
>
> I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear a
> helmet or not?

The helmet debate amongst serious cyclists is similar to the speed
camera debate amongst serious motorists.

In either case the government seem to spin and misrepresent the findings
of a couple of reports or studies to support the "common sense",
"obvious" (cheap/profitable/pc fix) conclusion that they *must* be
beneficial.

Then the established "road safety" organisations see it as their duty to
support such "sensible" advice. Then the populist press find a few
grieving relatives to "prove" that the devices would save lives and must
be adopted forthwith.

Then the bandwagon is joined by those who, for reasons of prejudice, or
revenge, or preconceptions, or whatever, find the "solution" nicely fits
in with their perverted sense of justice, and "Bob's your uncle" they
become the established, definitive solution.

Then the bluff is called by a few "academics" who like to show how
clever they are by reading the fine details of the "evidence", and
drawing alternative conclusions, and hilighting shortcomings in the
rationale, and then search out further studies which offer "proof" that
the original concept was wrong.

Then heels dig in, and you are left to your own devices, to draw your
own conclusions, or fall in with the prejudices of those you look up to :)

Take a look at the "Head protection - the case against" thread in this
ng, started on 2nd November.

Good luck!

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:
> Timo wrote:
> > I'm relatively new to this whole helmet debate.
> >
> > Up to now I've used one because I simply assumed it offers more
> > protection than no helmet.
> >
> > A few articles I've read on the subject contradict that assumption.
> >
> > I commute in a city, but mainly on quiet back streets. Should I wear a
> > helmet or not?

> The helmet debate amongst serious cyclists is similar to the speed
> camera debate amongst serious motorists.
>
> In either case the government seem to spin and misrepresent the findings
> of a couple of reports or studies to support the "common sense",
> "obvious" (cheap/profitable/pc fix) conclusion that they *must* be
> beneficial.

I believe the pot is attempting to call the kettle black here.

> Then the established "road safety" organisations see it as their duty to
> support such "sensible" advice. Then the populist press find a few
> grieving relatives to "prove" that the devices would save lives and must
> be adopted forthwith.

Yawn..

> Then the bandwagon is joined by those who, for reasons of prejudice, or
> revenge, or preconceptions, or whatever, find the "solution" nicely fits
> in with their perverted sense of justice, and "Bob's your uncle" they
> become the established, definitive solution.

A well balanced view, a chip on both shoulders..

> Then the bluff is called by a few "academics" who like to show how
> clever they are by reading the fine details of the "evidence", and
> drawing alternative conclusions, and hilighting shortcomings in the
> rationale, and then search out further studies which offer "proof" that
> the original concept was wrong.

You misuse proof differently in both these senses.

> Then heels dig in, and you are left to your own devices, to draw your
> own conclusions, or fall in with the prejudices of those you look up to :)

Only if you are a scientific illiterate.

> Take a look at the "Head protection - the case against" thread in this
> ng, started on 2nd November.

Your point?

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Your point?

To selectively quote and draw ludicrous conclusions to "prove" that we
really agree with him about Gatsos, obviously...

Almost as obvious as the fact we don't and most probably won't, but
since he'll ignore anything that doesn't fit his predetermined
conclusion not, alas, obvious to him.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK