Road rides around North Fitzroy?

Claes

New Member
Jul 5, 2004
Hi, I have moved to north fitzroy, and wanna find
some easy to access, with not too many traffic lights, training rides
around there. 30-50 km type ones.
Will I have to bite the bullet and ride to beach road and go from
there or can I find something where the ride starts earlier.
Can I go towards Kew and stuff like that instead?

Cheers,

Claes said:
Hi, I have moved to north fitzroy, and wanna find
some easy to access, with not too many traffic lights, training rides
around there. 30-50 km type ones.
Will I have to bite the bullet and ride to beach road and go from
there or can I find something where the ride starts earlier.
Can I go towards Kew and stuff like that instead?

Um, how about bog laps of Alfred Crescent? :D Failing that, try getting onto Merri Creek Path (link via Rushall Station), onto the Yarra Trail and across Collins Bridge to Yarra boulevard? Or a variation on that. Any better?

cfsmtb said:
Um, how about bog laps of Alfred Crescent? :D Failing that, try getting onto Merri Creek Path (link via Rushall Station), onto the Yarra Trail and across Collins Bridge to Yarra boulevard? Or a variation on that. Any better?
He he, I am a little lost now, what is Alfred Crescent? What is Yarra Boulevard? I have to use melways I reckon. :)
What is the distance of yarra boulevard, is it a loop or?

cfsmtb said:
Um, how about bog laps of Alfred Crescent? :D Failing that, try getting onto Merri Creek Path (link via Rushall Station), onto the Yarra Trail and across Collins Bridge to Yarra boulevard? Or a variation on that. Any better?
He he, I am a little lost now, what is Alfred Crescent? What is Yarra Boulevard? I have to use melways I reckon. :)
What is the distance of yarra boulevard, is it a loop or?
Hmm, is that the one where the crits go? That would a billion laps then. :)

Claes said:
He he, I am a little lost now, what is Alfred Crescent?
What is Yarra Boulevard? I have to use melways I reckon. :)
What is the distance of yarra boulevard, is it a loop or?
Hmm, is that the one where the crits go? That would a billion laps
then. :)

Ok, arm yourself with the trusty Melways & go to:

http://www.yarrabug.org

Check righthand column and look for "Cycling Routes in Yarra" links.
Also, while I'm on a sales pitch, feel free to join YarraBUG:
yarrabug-subscribeATyahoogroupsDOTcom

We're a friendly mob. :p

"Claes" wrote in message ...

> What is Yarra Boulevard?

It is a secret place where the hills are rolling and roadies like to
look/stare at other roadies (wtf is it with that?!)... Be sure to turn off
up Yarra St for some 'real' climbing...

cheers,
GPL

GPLama said:
"Claes" wrote in message ...

> What is Yarra Boulevard?

It is a secret place where the hills are rolling and roadies like to
look/stare at other roadies (wtf is it with that?!)... Be sure to turn off
up Yarra St for some 'real' climbing...

cheers,
GPL
Thanx guys, I'll have a look in that direction tonight then, wanna go for a first spin on my new pedals. Finally, after too much shite to describe, maybe I can get back to a BR in a couple of weeks or so. :)

On 2005-12-05, GPLama (aka Bruce)
> "Claes" wrote in message ...
>>
>> What is Yarra Boulevard?
>>

> It is a secret place where the hills are rolling and roadies like to
> look/stare at other roadies (wtf is it with that?!)...

Well, you were trying to outstare them, so they're just doing it back
to you! See who brakes (pun intended) first. By the way, you should
probably stop glaring at them once you have successfully mowed them
down, and stamped on their poor lifeless carcusses.

> Be sure to turn off
> up Yarra St for some 'real' climbing...

And remember. If you have a triple ring, no lower ring for you!

--
TimC
The prolonged application of polysyllabic vocabulary infallibly

"TimC" wrote in message ...

>> Be sure to turn off
>> up Yarra St for some 'real' climbing...

> And remember. If you have a triple ring, no lower ring for you!

You've learnt well young grasshopper! ;)

cheers,
GPL

Ah, got out for a spin then.
Started at Yarra BLVD via Johnston st. Went north, to chandler high way and back, then a few laps at the crit circuit before going home.

Yarra st you say, is that Yarra st that runs into Stawell st, that is a hill you say? Can try that next time then.

Not much flat riding there though. Up and down all the time.
Only problem is that yarra blvd is so short, if I wanna do a 40 k ride I'll get bored quite quick. Any ideas?

The zeros worked really REALLY well. The time pedals have given me grief from day one. It is weird, I have ridden many pedal systems before, Look, shimano look, shimano spd and never had problems. Then the fact is that the time was hard to click in to, the bearing are shite..I would not recommend that cr*p to anyone.

"Claes" wrote in message ...

> Yarra st you say, is that Yarra st that runs into Stawell st, that is a
> hill you say? Can try that next time then.

Yep, Yarra St is a baby monster.. 15%ish+ I think...

> Not much flat riding there though. Up and down all the time.
> Only problem is that yarra blvd is so short, if I wanna do a 40 k ride
> I'll get bored quite quick. Any ideas?

Lots, that's my backyard! :) for 40-50kms ride the bouile, wind your way
onto Kilby rd, then though to Doncaster Rd... up the hill to Shopping town..
from there either left and follow the tour-de-burbs route.. or keep heading
out to Donvale (turn onto Park Rd/st which is after Springvale rd) and jump
back on the bike new freeway bike path for a breather (or gun it, its
slightly downhill heading towards the city, just watch for dogs or hemyd)..
;)

As for flat riding... umm.. beach rd? ;)

cheers,
GPL

GPLama said:
"Claes" wrote in message ...

> Yarra st you say, is that Yarra st that runs into Stawell st, that is a
> hill you say? Can try that next time then.

Yep, Yarra St is a baby monster.. 15%ish+ I think...

> Not much flat riding there though. Up and down all the time.
> Only problem is that yarra blvd is so short, if I wanna do a 40 k ride
> I'll get bored quite quick. Any ideas?

Lots, that's my backyard! :) for 40-50kms ride the bouile, wind your way
onto Kilby rd, then though to Doncaster Rd... up the hill to Shopping town..
from there either left and follow the tour-de-burbs route.. or keep heading
out to Donvale (turn onto Park Rd/st which is after Springvale rd) and jump
back on the bike new freeway bike path for a breather (or gun it, its
slightly downhill heading towards the city, just watch for dogs or hemyd)..
;)

As for flat riding... umm.. beach rd? ;)

cheers,
GPL
Well, beach road is good when you have been off your bike for a while and want to ease your way into it. That is what I had planned. :) I am just so stoked that I can actually ride my bike and not end up in pain from it. Who hoo. F*ck Time.

Kilby rd? I am lost.

flyingdutch said:
'Zeros' ???

what are they, viking? :D
They are speedplay, zero means adjustable float, in and outside, no springs, free float. I love it so far. On the other hand, after the Times I would have loved toe clips and straps too.
Now, plan is this, go for another spin this week, then on saturday go for beach road 80 k spin, then following weekend join you guys on Sunday, and no one has to fear being last up the climbs, that will be me, so unfit at the mo.

flyingdutch wrote:
> Claes Wrote:
> >
> > The zeros worked really REALLY well.

> 'Zeros' ???
>
> what are they, viking? :D

Mitsubishi ... 1940's ... Tora Tora Tora!

Bleve said:
Mitsubishi ... 1940's ... Tora Tora Tora!

friggin annoying movie!
trying to read white subtitles over japanese Naval officer uniforms. bah. gave up...

flyingdutch wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> >

> > Mitsubishi ... 1940's ... Tora Tora Tora!

> friggin annoying movie!
> trying to read white subtitles over japanese Naval officer uniforms.
> bah. gave up...

Learn Japanese then! Soft ******* ... next you'll be telling some lame
story about being hit by a car or something so you can't race this
w'end!

btw, anything interesting to report from the BV council? Regular
meetings? What happens? As a constituent, I'd like to be informed!

flyingdutch said:
friggin annoying movie!
trying to read white subtitles over japanese Naval officer uniforms. bah. gave up...
Could use a bishi zero under each foot got get up those darn hills.

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 21:49:48 +1100, GPLama wrote:

> You've learnt well young grasshopper! ;)

.....didn't say anything about a 32 tooth cluster.
Which makes Milsons Pt steps doable in the middle ring (40ish teeth)
--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start

Kilby Road: Melway, map 45 D3. You can get to it via Chandler Hwy or the path that goes under the freeway. Kilby Rd to Bullen Rd is quite nice. There's also some beautiful and hilly areas around Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe East and Eaglemont -- basically between Upper and Lower Heidelberg Roads and Bell St. (map 31)

The Yarra Blvd is a mini Beach Rd/Dandenongs 'scene' for you inner city guys. :D It's also a pretty **** road surface

If you want some competition, as the other person said, I suggest doing the "Tour de Burbs" which goes through the Blvd at ~6:50 (call Richmond Cyclery to confirm the time), then onto to Doncaster and back to the Yarra Blvd via Bulleen, etc. The good thing about this ride is that they wait at about 4 spots for the slower riders.