REC: Rock Shrimp Lumpia with Green Papaya Salad

kilikini

Guest
I was looking for Hali'imaile General Store's Lumpia recipe online and I
found it!!!! It was one of my favorite dishes at this restaurant when I
lived back on Maui. I had to share with you folks.

Rock Shrimp Lumpia with Green Papaya Salad

GREEN PAPAYA SALAD:
1 red onion, sliced
2 green papayas, seeded, peeled and shredded
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
2 teaspoons Vietnamese garlic-chile sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup chopped peanuts, for garnish

LUMPIA:
2 pounds peeled rock shrimp
1 tablespoon peanut oil, plus extra for brushing
2 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
1 (4-ounce) package Japanese rice noodles
1/2 cup peeled and shredded carrot
3/4 cup good-quality mayonnaise
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoons Vietnamese garlic-chile sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 (7-inch-square) lumpia wrappers
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

To prepare the salad, place the onion, papaya, and carrots in a bowl and mix
well. In another bowl, combine the chile sauce, garlic, sugar, fish sauce,
vinegar, and lime juice. Adjust the seasoning. Pour the chile sauce mixture
over the papaya mixture and toss well. Add the cilantro and mint and toss
well. Garnish with the peanuts.

Squeeze any excess moisture out of the shrimp. In a small pan, heat the 1
tablespoon peanut oil and 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil over medium-high
heat. Add the shrimp and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until pink and starting
to curl. Drain the shrimp in a colander and set aside. Bring a saucepan
filled with water to a boil. Place the rice noodles in a bowl and pour the
boiling water over them. Allow to soak for 5 minutes, until softened. Drain
and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Mix together the shrimp, rice noodles, carrot, mayonnaise, remaining 1/2
teaspoon sesame oil, vinegar, sesame seeds, chile sauce, and salt. Add the
cilantro and mix well.

To prepare the lumpia, lay a wrapper on a clean work surface with the point
facing you. Spread 2 tablespoons of the shrimp mixture evenly on the bottom
one-third of each lumpia wrapper. Brush all 4 edges with the egg wash. Fold
the bottom up over the filling and fold in the sides toward the middle.
Starting at the bottom, roll up to form a tiny bundle. Repeat with the
remaining filling and wrappers. Brush with peanut oil.

Place the lumpia on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until
golden brown.

To serve, place 1/2 cup of the salad on each plate. Cut the lumpia in half
diagonally. Stand 4 pieces of lumpia, point up, on each plate around the
salad.

kilikini wrote:
> I was looking for Hali'imaile General Store's Lumpia recipe online and I
> found it!!!! It was one of my favorite dishes at this restaurant when I
> lived back on Maui. I had to share with you folks.
>
> Rock Shrimp Lumpia with Green Papaya Salad

[snip recipes]

Hmmm, thanks. I noticed frozen rock shrimp at Trader Joe's the other
day and started wondering what I might use them for. These lumpia look
good. I think I want to fry them instead of baking, though. Do they
really bake them at the place on Maui? -aem

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> kilikini wrote:
> > I was looking for Hali'imaile General Store's Lumpia recipe online and I
> > found it!!!! It was one of my favorite dishes at this restaurant when I
> > lived back on Maui. I had to share with you folks.
> >
> > Rock Shrimp Lumpia with Green Papaya Salad

> [snip recipes]
>
> Hmmm, thanks. I noticed frozen rock shrimp at Trader Joe's the other
> day and started wondering what I might use them for. These lumpia look
> good. I think I want to fry them instead of baking, though. Do they
> really bake them at the place on Maui? -aem

They do. Hali'imaile General Store even bakes their crab cakes. I think
it's kind of a "health" issue thingy-deal. Still, though, these things are
absolutely excellent! They serve them with a sweet thai chili sauce, but
they didn't include the recipe for that, dunno why.

kili

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:44:05 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>They serve them with a sweet thai chili sauce, but
>they didn't include the recipe for that, dunno why.

Probably because you can get it in a bottle over there.

:)

>They serve them with a sweet thai chili sauce, but they didn't include the recipe for that, dunno why.
Try this:

Thai dipping sauce

1 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 small garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup juice from 2-3 limes
2 tblsp. fish sauce
1/3 cup sugar

Whisk ingredients in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Let stand 1
hour at room temp. to allow flavors to meld.

"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >They serve them with a sweet thai chili sauce, but they didn't include

the recipe for that, dunno why.
> Try this:
>
> Thai dipping sauce
>
> 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
> 3 small garlic cloves, minced or pressed
> 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
> 1/4 cup juice from 2-3 limes
> 2 tblsp. fish sauce
> 1/3 cup sugar
>
> Whisk ingredients in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Let stand 1
> hour at room temp. to allow flavors to meld.

Thank you! Recipe saved.

kili

kilikini wrote:
> "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >They serve them with a sweet thai chili sauce, but they didn't include

> the recipe for that, dunno why.
> > Try this:
> >
> > Thai dipping sauce
> >
> > 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
> > 3 small garlic cloves, minced or pressed
> > 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
> > 1/4 cup juice from 2-3 limes
> > 2 tblsp. fish sauce
> > 1/3 cup sugar
> >
> > Whisk ingredients in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Let stand 1
> > hour at room temp. to allow flavors to meld.
> >

> Thank you! Recipe saved.

And if you want it red like a lot of jarred stuff, add some ketchup.
In which case, reduce the sugar. (To taste; all dipping sauces are 'to
taste') -aem

>Thank you! Recipe saved.

You're welcome! Also very good along side the peanut dipping sauce
most commonly served with fresh spring rolls.

On 10 Dec 2005 13:02:23 -0800, "kevnbro" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>Thank you! Recipe saved.

> You're welcome! Also very good along side the peanut dipping sauce
>most commonly served with fresh spring rolls.

Filipinos usually eat Lumpia with banana sauce/ketchup
(http://www.jegimajo.net/catalog/images/Jufranbanana.jpg)
or vinegar that is laced with lots of garlic.

Lumpia Dipping Sauce:

* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients; serve with hot lumpia
www.hei.com/heco/ekitchen/

<sf> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 10 Dec 2005 13:02:23 -0800, "kevnbro" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >>Thank you! Recipe saved.

> > You're welcome! Also very good along side the peanut dipping sauce
> >most commonly served with fresh spring rolls.

> Filipinos usually eat Lumpia with banana sauce/ketchup
> (http://www.jegimajo.net/catalog/images/Jufranbanana.jpg)
> or vinegar that is laced with lots of garlic.

I would disagree with that, but, I'm not Filipino, just lived amongst a
*ton* of them. I've never, ever heard of a banana sauce. Ketchup would
most likely be a ponzu-type sauce, but I can't imagine that either. Heck,
the Filipinos I lived amongst killed and ate dogs and pigs,
so..................

kili <-------still shuddering at the horror of her neighbors

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:34:34 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Filipinos usually eat Lumpia with banana sauce/ketchup
>> (http://www.jegimajo.net/catalog/images/Jufranbanana.jpg)
>> or vinegar that is laced with lots of garlic.
>>

>I would disagree with that, but, I'm not Filipino, just lived amongst a
>*ton* of them. I've never, ever heard of a banana sauce. Ketchup would
>most likely be a ponzu-type sauce, but I can't imagine that either. Heck,
>the Filipinos I lived amongst killed and ate dogs and pigs,
>
>kili <-------still shuddering at the horror of her neighbors

Ponzu sauce isn't even close to banana sauce - it's easy enough to
look up the ingedient list for Jufran. Hubby is Filipino. His family
and his family friends use exactly what I posted as lumpia
condiments... Jufran banana sauce or garlicy vinegar. The only dogs
they have are pets that are never abused or eaten. However, small
pigs often show up as the main attraction (Lechon) on a party table.