or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

just how much food is needed to ride? - Page 3

post #31 of 99

Re: just how much food is needed to ride?

RE/
> but on the other hand, i don't want to under- eat and bonk on a 8 mile ride, when i am still only
> 4 miles of an 8 mile loop.

I'm guessing that this varies from person-to-person and maybe even at different for an individual
depending on how much riding they've been doing. Seems like marathon runners and, I guess, a lot
of cyclists have developed their ability to burn fat on-the-fly at much, much higher rates than
normal people.

But I'm no athlete - never have been, never will be.

My experience is that somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours out I could use some food - like a handfull
of grapes or a cookie.

When I used to ride a *lot* harder than I do now, I'd start eating about an hour into a four-hour
ride. Just a grape here and a grape there...it was sort of interesting to feel the sugar hit my
system...sudden increase in energy and all that.... But as far as *needing* to eat (i.e. starting to
feel lousey form lack of food) it always seems to me like 2.5-3 hours before my bod runs out of
readily-available fuel.

For me that means I almost never eat anything on my usual 2-3 hour rides.

On a weekend ride, when I'm out for six hours or so, I eat my usual breakfast of a bagel with butter
and plenty marmalade and then stop for lunch.

Water, OTOH, seems like a much higher priority for me. I take in about a quart on a 2 hour ride if
it's not too warm. In the summer, I trade the two old Gaterade bottles I usually carry for a 3-liter
HydraPack. I can really feel a difference in performance between drinking plenty water and not. On a
2-hour ride it's the diff between feeling essentially the same during the second hour and feeling
steadily worse.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
post #32 of 99

Pete wrote:
> "Aviation Maintenance Technician"

I once put "Petroleum Transference Engineer" as a previous employment position.... sounded better
than "pumped gas at a Shell Station"
post #33 of 99

Technician wrote:

> (tempted to shave my head just to be rid of it).

I've been suggesting to my wife with notion for 2 years now..... She's adamant about me not going
full Kojak, though ;-(
post #34 of 99

Re: just how much food is needed to ride?

Hey Travis,

You look just like a friend of mine back home in the states. Except he is in NJ and you
are in Maine.

-Dave
post #35 of 99

Technician wrote:

> well, ok, but you better keep small children from viewing it as it may cause nightmares ;-)
> http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/tmp/me.jpg

Ever see the video to 'Sabotage' by the Beastie Boys? http://www.j-harris.net/bike/sabotage.jpg -
I'm on the left ;~p

GQ bomba says: You basically look like a young, good-looking guy trying to disguise himself as a 40
year old teacher. Your look screams 'lack of confidence', which is probably true. It's a vicious
circle though - look better, feel better. Taking pride in your appearance will give you extra
confidence.

The 'tache is unflattering - I still say get rid of it. And the glasses, hell, where did you get
those glasses? They're 70's-tastic! Smaller glasses with a thinner frame and / or contacts will do
you massive favours.

As has been mentioned already, get yourself to a decent hairdressers / stylist and leave yourself at
their mercy. They're professionals and have a pretty good idea of what will suit you. Tell them that
you're looking to get rid of your side-parting and want to go for a more modern style. They should
be able to take you through a couple of options and you can agree on the best.

Don't get a flat-top - it's a heinous crime, and purely for meat-heads. Sure, Vanilla Ice looked
cool, but then so did flappy pants with waistcoats 15 years ago. The only guy who still pulls off a
flat top with aplomb is John Goodman. I don't think you want to look like John Goodman.

Hope you take this in the manner that it was meant, in that it's constructive criticism. You have a
lot of potential - you're 6'3" with a well built frame. You're obviously fairly handsome, but you're
just not highlighting your features well.

Good luck, and with a few changes you should be beating birds off with a ****ty stick

post #36 of 99

Technician wrote:

>>go to a decent salon or even Super cuts, they'll have a book of current haircuts that you can
>>choose from. I know, I know, no Supercuts or hairstylist, or hair salons, or beauty schools where
>>you can get cheap haircuts where you live...
>>

> Considering my mother has regular appointments to get her hair cellophaned, i could hitch a ride
> with her.
>
> My hair cuts are usually quite good, its just the owner of the barber shop just hasn't the heart
> to tell the senile old goat to retire. so my father usually "lets" me take the first empty chair,
> that once in a while turns out to be the old guy. his last cuts were not too bad, but that one
> last one... well, you can see in the picture (tempted to shave my head just to be rid of it).

Mate, you're 23 years old, what's with going to the barbers / hairdressers with your parents? Your
dad's screwing you with the senile old goat (oo-er) and your mother's hairdressers will be used to
doing, well, mothers' hair. Strike out and find yourself your own hairdresser / barber / stylist.

post #37 of 99

Paladin wrote:

> Now wait a minute, when I get home, I expect my wife to greet me at the door looking like a
> Penthouse Pet (do they still have those?), with the house clean, the kids quiet and dinner on the
> table, cold brew in hand.
>
> So when she wants to go out on a date, I take her to some Hooters bar on wet t-shirt night, and
> I'm dressed like a slob.
>
> Right??

Hell no! At least dress up to take the missus to a Hooters bar.

post #38 of 99

"bomba" <myarse247@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3ECC8BAA.1020205@hotmail.com...
> Paladin wrote:
>
> > Now wait a minute, when I get home, I expect my wife to greet me at the door looking like a
> > Penthouse Pet (do they still have those?), with the house clean, the kids quiet and dinner on
> > the table, cold brew in hand.
> >
> > So when she wants to go out on a date, I take her to some Hooters bar on wet t-shirt night, and
> > I'm dressed like a slob.
> >
> > Right??
>
> Hell no! At least dress up to take the missus to a Hooters bar.

What, like orange hotpants and a crop top?

Andy Chequer went to Hooters once and got salsa all down his front.
post #39 of 99

bomba wrote:

> Mate, you're 23 years old, what's with going to the barbers / hairdressers with your parents? Your
> dad's screwing you with the senile old goat (oo-er) and your mother's hairdressers will be used to
> doing, well, mothers' hair. Strike out and find yourself your own hairdresser / barber / stylist.

Right-on Next purchase, a pair of clippers. lear to cut your own hair!
post #40 of 99

Re: just how much food is needed to ride?

In article <bahnnk$fp3$07$1@news.t-online.com>, dave-dani@t-online.de says...
> Hey Travis,
>
> You look just like a friend of mine back home in the states. Except he is in NJ and you are in
> Maine.
>
> -Dave

that's most likely my evil conjoined twin that was separated at birth (or am i the evil one...) ;-)
--
~Travis

post #41 of 99

Re: just how much food is needed to ride?

In article <3ECCCAC7.2000909@charter.net>, khhfm@charter.net says...
> bomba wrote:
>

> > GQ bomba says: You basically look like a young, good-looking guy trying to disguise himself as a
> > 40 year old teacher. <snip>
>
> As a 40 year-old teacher, I resent that.
>
> Kathleen

if it makes you feel any better, your look is not exactly the look i was going for ;-) (not exactly
sure what look i was going for...)
--
~Travis

post #42 of 99

ClydesdaleMTB <ClydesdaleMTB@netscape.net> wrote in message news:3ECC1140.3010801@netscape.net...

> Pete wrote:
> > "Aviation Maintenance Technician"
>

> I once put "Petroleum Transference Engineer" as a previous employment position.... sounded better
> than "pumped gas at a Shell Station"

Heheheheh....

Shaun aRe - liked "Goods Transportation Protection Technician" when he did some packing work
as a 'yoof'.
post #43 of 99

Kathleen wrote:
> bomba wrote:
>

>> GQ bomba says: You basically look like a young, good-looking guy trying to disguise himself as a
>> 40 year old teacher. <snip>
>

> As a 40 year-old teacher, I resent that.

Yeah, but you dont have the "I'm a lurking pedaphile" look going for you.
post #44 of 99

Technician wrote:

> that's most likely my evil conjoined twin

I thought that was Richard?
post #45 of 99

Re: just how much food is needed to ride?

In article <baikm0$48lj$1@ID-170198.news.dfncis.de>, shaun@newtronic.co.uk says...

> ClydesdaleMTB <ClydesdaleMTB@netscape.net> wrote in message news:3ECC1140.3010801@netscape.net...
> >

> > Pete wrote:
> > > "Aviation Maintenance Technician"
> >

> > I once put "Petroleum Transference Engineer" as a previous employment position.... sounded
> > better than "pumped gas at a Shell Station"
>
> Heheheheh....
>
> Shaun aRe - liked "Goods Transportation Protection Technician" when he did some packing work as
> a 'yoof'.

or better yet, executive chef ;-)
--
~Travis