Soup noodle question

The Bubbo

Guest
On Friday I am making bouillabaisse (and bread and salad and a pre dinner
cheese plate) for christmas dinner for my mom, grandfather and friends. David
is vegetarian and does not really want to eat the seafood so I offered to make
up a seperate soup for him. I'm going to do a semi-spicy, tomato/vegetable
base with great northern beans, potatoes, potatoes, kale, onion and whatnot. I
wanted to add some rotini (because it's in my pantry).

Generally, when I make soups (generally of the chicken noodle variety) I cook
the egg noodles seperately, add them to the bowl and add them to the soup so
as to avoid mushy noodles in the leftover soup. But, i'm pretty much just
going to be making enough for him, could I cook the noodles in the soup? Will
that still release too much starch into the soup?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

In article <[email protected]>,
The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Friday I am making bouillabaisse (and bread and salad and a pre dinner
> cheese plate) for christmas dinner for my mom, grandfather and friends. David
> is vegetarian and does not really want to eat the seafood so I offered to make
> up a seperate soup for him. I'm going to do a semi-spicy, tomato/vegetable
> base with great northern beans, potatoes, potatoes, kale, onion and whatnot. I
> wanted to add some rotini (because it's in my pantry).
>
> Generally, when I make soups (generally of the chicken noodle variety) I cook
> the egg noodles seperately, add them to the bowl and add them to the soup so
> as to avoid mushy noodles in the leftover soup. But, i'm pretty much just
> going to be making enough for him, could I cook the noodles in the soup? Will
> that still release too much starch into the soup?

Don't cook them in the soup. Actually, leave them out and use the
flippin' rotini for something else. Seriously. Sounds like a nice dish
right up until you were going to put pasta in it. Don't.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-18-05 - Church review (I think
I'll become a critic - Rob's been calling me one for years!)

Barb replied to Heather:

>> I'm going to do a semi-spicy, tomato/vegetable base with great northern
>> beans, potatoes, potatoes, kale, onion and whatnot. I wanted to add some
>> rotini (because it's in my pantry).
>>
>> Generally, when I make soups (generally of the chicken noodle variety) I
>> cook the egg noodles seperately, add them to the bowl and add them to the
>> soup so as to avoid mushy noodles in the leftover soup. But, i'm pretty
>> much just going to be making enough for him, could I cook the noodles in
>> the soup? Will that still release too much starch into the soup?

> Don't cook them in the soup. Actually, leave them out and use the
> flippin' rotini for something else. Seriously. Sounds like a nice dish
> right up until you were going to put pasta in it. Don't.

Especially since she listed potatoes twice! :)

Bob

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Barb replied to Heather:
>
>>> I'm going to do a semi-spicy, tomato/vegetable base with great northern
>>> beans, potatoes, potatoes, kale, onion and whatnot. I wanted to add some
>>> rotini (because it's in my pantry).
>>>
>>> Generally, when I make soups (generally of the chicken noodle variety) I
>>> cook the egg noodles seperately, add them to the bowl and add them to the
>>> soup so as to avoid mushy noodles in the leftover soup. But, i'm pretty
>>> much just going to be making enough for him, could I cook the noodles in
>>> the soup? Will that still release too much starch into the soup?

>> Don't cook them in the soup. Actually, leave them out and use the
>> flippin' rotini for something else. Seriously. Sounds like a nice dish
>> right up until you were going to put pasta in it. Don't.

> Especially since she listed potatoes twice! :)
>
> Bob

ha! I didn't even see that! Well, thus are the typing skills of the suffering
insomniac. They'll get worse before they get better. One of those 'potatoes'
should be 'carrots'.

And, yes Barb, I think I will keep the noodles out. I think part of me had
minestrone on the brain so I was thinking pasta in there, but I don't think it
will need it.

--

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Friday I am making bouillabaisse (and bread and salad and a pre dinner
> > cheese plate) for christmas dinner for my mom, grandfather and friends. David
> > is vegetarian and does not really want to eat the seafood so I offered to make
> > up a seperate soup for him. I'm going to do a semi-spicy, tomato/vegetable
> > base with great northern beans, potatoes, potatoes, kale, onion and whatnot. I
> > wanted to add some rotini (because it's in my pantry).
> >
> > Generally, when I make soups (generally of the chicken noodle variety) I cook
> > the egg noodles seperately, add them to the bowl and add them to the soup so
> > as to avoid mushy noodles in the leftover soup. But, i'm pretty much just
> > going to be making enough for him, could I cook the noodles in the soup? Will
> > that still release too much starch into the soup?

> Don't cook them in the soup. Actually, leave them out and use the
> flippin' rotini for something else. Seriously. Sounds like a nice dish
> right up until you were going to put pasta in it. Don't.

'Zactly! And NO CHEESE plate with bouillabaisse.

mumble mumble taste-in-ass-disease mumble mumble

Sheldon

In article <[email protected]>,
The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Friday I am making bouillabaisse (and bread and salad and a pre dinner
> cheese plate) for christmas dinner for my mom, grandfather and friends. David
> is vegetarian and does not really want to eat the seafood so I offered to make
> up a seperate soup for him. I'm going to do a semi-spicy, tomato/vegetable
> base with great northern beans, potatoes, potatoes, kale, onion and whatnot. I
> wanted to add some rotini (because it's in my pantry).
>
> Generally, when I make soups (generally of the chicken noodle variety) I cook
> the egg noodles seperately, add them to the bowl and add them to the soup so
> as to avoid mushy noodles in the leftover soup. But, i'm pretty much just
> going to be making enough for him, could I cook the noodles in the soup? Will
> that still release too much starch into the soup?

Why add noodles to that soup? It sounds like you would be better off
without the noodles in that soup because it already has beans in it, so
noodles would probably be overkill. I suggest you save the rotini for
another time.

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Friday I am making bouillabaisse (and bread and salad and a pre dinner
> > cheese plate) for christmas dinner for my mom, grandfather and friends. David
> > is vegetarian and does not really want to eat the seafood so I offered to make
> > up a seperate soup for him. I'm going to do a semi-spicy, tomato/vegetable
> > base with great northern beans, potatoes, potatoes, kale, onion and whatnot. I
> > wanted to add some rotini (because it's in my pantry).
> >
> > Generally, when I make soups (generally of the chicken noodle variety) I cook
> > the egg noodles seperately, add them to the bowl and add them to the soup so
> > as to avoid mushy noodles in the leftover soup. But, i'm pretty much just
> > going to be making enough for him, could I cook the noodles in the soup? Will
> > that still release too much starch into the soup?

> Why add noodles to that soup? It sounds like you would be better off
> without the noodles in that soup because it already has beans in it, so
> noodles would probably be overkill. I suggest you save the rotini for
> another time.

How many different types of starch is not the issue. Minestrone has
beans (I prefer dark red kidney to white beans) and pasta (I prefer
ditali or canneroni), but typically not potatoes, however I don't see
why not a few. Campbell's vegetable soup has beans (I think two types,
small white and baby lima, three if you count the green beans), pasta
(alphabets), and potatoes, also corn. It's not the ingredients per se
so much as it's the ratio, and with pasta the shape too... I don't
think rotini is a good soup pasta, it's too large for soups. With
soups eye appeal is very important; colors, shapes, textures. There's
definitely an art to soup, it's not just an excuse to clean out your
larder... that's a purty good clue you have taste in ass disease.
Creating quality soup is one of the more complex culinary exercises...
and I catch ya hacking up veggies with a food processor yer outta
here... get yerself a job slopping hogs. Soup is a lesson in love... a
good soup requires many hours constant attention... a quickie on the
stove, a quickie in the sack.

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:

> 'Zactly! And NO CHEESE plate with bouillabaisse.
>
> mumble mumble taste-in-ass-disease mumble mumble
>
> Sheldon

the cheese is for before dinner, for peple to nibble while I'm in the kitchen.