24 Hour Pork - what to serve with it

Steve Y

Guest
We are planning on doing Nigella's 24 Hour Pork shoulder as the main
dish for our New Year meal. Question is what to serve with it ?

Current idea is the Pork, with its crackling and Apple Sauce
Hasselback Potatoes
Mashed Carrots
Braised Red Cabbage

But I am looking for another veg dish to add to it.

What I am trying to do is to get a good balance of textures and
flavours. Pork should be moist but with the crunch of the crackling.
Spuds are crunchy, mash is well, mash as is the cabbage. I think we
need another crunchy veg so was thinking of roast brussel sprouts but
does anyone have other thoughts ? Problem is timing, this will be 3rd
course of the meal and we only have 1 oven at present

Seasons Greetings to All

Steve

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:26:36 +0100, Steve Y <[email protected]>
wrote:

>We are planning on doing Nigella's 24 Hour Pork shoulder as the main
>dish for our New Year meal. Question is what to serve with it ?
>
>Current idea is the Pork, with its crackling and Apple Sauce
>Hasselback Potatoes
>Mashed Carrots
>Braised Red Cabbage
>
>But I am looking for another veg dish to add to it.
>
>What I am trying to do is to get a good balance of textures and
>flavours. Pork should be moist but with the crunch of the crackling.
>Spuds are crunchy, mash is well, mash as is the cabbage. I think we
>need another crunchy veg so was thinking of roast brussel sprouts but
>does anyone have other thoughts ? Problem is timing, this will be 3rd
>course of the meal and we only have 1 oven at present

Have you made the 24 hour pork dish before? I just returned that
cookbook to the library and I was so curious about that recipe. I'd
love to hear the results of it.

As far as another side dish -- I would like something green and fresh.
A nice green salad would be a good cool, crisp, and acidic contrast to
the creamy, rich, hot food. Maybe add some citrus sections. Toss it
at the last minute and serve it after the pork as your palate
cleanser.

Tara

wrote:

>We are planning on doing Nigella's 24 Hour Pork shoulder as the main
>dish for our New Year meal. Question is what to serve with it ?
>
>Current idea is the Pork, with its crackling and Apple Sauce
>Hasselback Potatoes
>Mashed Carrots
>Braised Red Cabbage
>
>But I am looking for another veg dish to add to it.
>
>What I am trying to do is to get a good balance of textures and
>flavours. Pork should be moist but with the crunch of the crackling.
>Spuds are crunchy, mash is well, mash as is the cabbage. I think we
>need another crunchy veg so was thinking of roast brussel sprouts but
>does anyone have other thoughts ? Problem is timing, this will be 3rd
>course of the meal and we only have 1 oven at present
>
>Seasons Greetings to All
>
>Steve

Crunchy whole green beans, cooked carefully, so they keep the snap. A
bit of garlic and slivered almonds done in browned butter and poured
over add more texture.

Boron

wrote:

> We are planning on doing Nigella's 24 Hour Pork shoulder as the main
> dish for our New Year meal. Question is what to serve with it ?
>
> Current idea is the Pork, with its crackling and Apple Sauce
> Hasselback Potatoes
> Mashed Carrots
> Braised Red Cabbage
>
> But I am looking for another veg dish to add to it.
>
> What I am trying to do is to get a good balance of textures and
> flavours. Pork should be moist but with the crunch of the crackling.
> Spuds are crunchy, mash is well, mash as is the cabbage. I think we
> need another crunchy veg so was thinking of roast brussel sprouts but
> does anyone have other thoughts ? Problem is timing, this will be 3rd
> course of the meal and we only have 1 oven at present

This dish can be made a day ahead and re-heated. And it uses a stove,
not an oven. And it's fabulous!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : side dishes Thanksgiving
vegetables

1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
8 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while
still hot with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans
may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably
in a microwave.

Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"November 1995"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 46 Calories; 3g Fat (46.5%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 5mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

We did it two years ago, result was wonderfull. Perhaps it was something
to do with tastebuds having been assaulted by the aroma for so many
hours but the tender meat with the crunchy crackling was really good.
The shoulder bone pulled out as with two fingers. A 8Kg lump of meat
was far too much for 6 of us but this time we will be 11+ so shouldn't
have the same problem