WARNING! Non P.C. message

Yeah, cut it out, man. PC has nothing to do with it. This agnostic
Jew both wishes and welcomes "Merry Christmas" from anybody. O'Reilly
is a jerk.

bernmart wrote (after deleting all context):

> Yeah, cut it out, man. PC has nothing to do with it. This agnostic
> Jew both wishes and welcomes "Merry Christmas" from anybody. O'Reilly
> is a jerk.

Way to completely misrepresent (as well as misunderstand) his position.

N&F

bernmart wrote:
> Yeah, cut it out, man. PC has nothing to do with it. This agnostic
> Jew both wishes and welcomes "Merry Christmas" from anybody. O'Reilly
> is a jerk.

Yeah, it makes me wonder why the guy doesn't get his nose out of joint
about our near-complete abnegation of other important Masses and Feast
Days.

Epiphany is coming up, you know, and none of my local retailers have
any Epiphany decorations and banners up. God-damned apostate heathens.
All those Secular Humanist bastards have to say is "Happy New Year!",
as if Christ didn't even die a horrible grisly death for their tawdry
sins.

Chalo Colina

For clarfification purposes, why do wish people merry xmas and a happy
new year? can we wish people happyness in both ocassions? or, could we
wish people merryness on birthdays, sangivin and 4rth of july?

Imagine all the time, saliva, ink and paper we could save by wishing
people happy xmas and new year. or, in my case, since the past few days
have been happy but not holy, we could say "happy days".

Andres

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:23:13 +1100, Dan Burkhart
<[email protected]> wrote:

>To all here.
>
>M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S ! ! ! ! !

Damn you Dan, how dare you bring religion into this newsgroup! Nobody
should be allowed to say Christmas in public!

Jasper

On 27 Dec 2005 05:08:26 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>For clarfification purposes, why do wish people merry xmas and a happy
>new year? can we wish people happyness in both ocassions? or, could we
>wish people merryness on birthdays, sangivin and 4rth of july?
>
>Imagine all the time, saliva, ink and paper we could save by wishing
>people happy xmas and new year. or, in my case, since the past few days
>have been happy but not holy, we could say "happy days".

That's part of the rationale behind the inclusive "Happy Holidays"
used widely; it applies to more than just a certain holiday that not
everyone even celebrates. Nearly every religious and/or ethnic group
has some sort of festival or memorial at this time of year (and New
Year's Day is an official holiday in all of North America anyway, so
that one can be certain that using "Happy Holidays" in that area has
at least one point of applicability regardless), so using that
expression covers a multitude of bases without making any assumptions
that have a significant chance of being invalid. Whether your holiday
is Christmas or Yule or Hanukkah or something I've never even heard
of, it's covered. Anyone who chooses to take offense at my attempt to
be polite *to all* is a boorish cur, and deserves a lump of coal for
their humbugging.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2005 05:08:26 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> For clarfification purposes, why do wish people merry xmas and a
>> happy new year? can we wish people happyness in both ocassions? or,
>> could we wish people merryness on birthdays, sangivin and 4rth of
>> july?
>>
>> Imagine all the time, saliva, ink and paper we could save by wishing
>> people happy xmas and new year. or, in my case, since the past few
>> days have been happy but not holy, we could say "happy days".

> That's part of the rationale behind the inclusive "Happy Holidays"
> used widely; it applies to more than just a certain holiday that not
> everyone even celebrates. Nearly every religious and/or ethnic group
> has some sort of festival or memorial at this time of year (and New
> Year's Day is an official holiday in all of North America anyway, so
> that one can be certain that using "Happy Holidays" in that area has
> at least one point of applicability regardless), so using that
> expression covers a multitude of bases without making any assumptions
> that have a significant chance of being invalid. Whether your holiday
> is Christmas or Yule or Hanukkah or something I've never even heard
> of, it's covered. Anyone who chooses to take offense at my attempt to
> be polite *to all* is a boorish cur, and deserves a lump of coal for
> their humbugging.

Like many others, you misunderstand and/or misrepresent what the so-called
"controversy" concerns.

No one is /offended/ at "Happy Holidays"; they're /offended/ when they're
not ALLOWED to mention Christmas for fear of /offending/ someone else.
Granted, many examples are downright silly, but others are quite telling.

As with most matters, plain old courtesy and common sense go a long way...

NF

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:23:13 +1100, Dan Burkhart
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> To all here.
>>
>> M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S ! ! ! ! !

> Damn you Dan, how dare you bring religion into this newsgroup! Nobody
> should be allowed to say Christmas in public!

And in all caps with {gasp} E X T R A S P A C E S ! ! ! ! Jesus...

Bill "blame Jobst for my changed user name" S.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:25:06 GMT, "Nuckin' Futz" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>No one is /offended/ at "Happy Holidays"; they're /offended/ when they're
>not ALLOWED to mention Christmas for fear of /offending/ someone else.
>Granted, many examples are downright silly, but others are quite telling.
>
>As with most matters, plain old courtesy and common sense go a long way...

And when it comes to this one, silliness abounds...and yes, I have
seen examples of people actually getting huffy about being wished
"Happy Holidays" around here. But I'm in Texas; boorishness,
discourtesy and disrespect toward anyone who doesn't fit the narrow
mold of the viewer's version of Acceptable Types is fast overtaking
football as the national religion. (Christianity stopped being a
religion and was reclassified as an unregulated public utility with a
service monopoly long ago.) Of course, probably half the population
shows gross evidence of something that's in DSM-IV.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:28:23 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Jasper Janssen wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:23:13 +1100, Dan Burkhart
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> To all here.
>>>
>>> M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S ! ! ! ! !

>> Damn you Dan, how dare you bring religion into this newsgroup! Nobody
>> should be allowed to say Christmas in public!

>And in all caps with {gasp} E X T R A S P A C E S ! ! ! ! Jesus...
>
>Bill "blame Jobst for my changed user name" S.

An indelicate edit, I must say.
--

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:28:23 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Jasper Janssen wrote:

>>> Damn you Dan, how dare you bring religion into this newsgroup!
>>> Nobody should be allowed to say Christmas in public!

>> And in all caps with {gasp} E X T R A S P A C E S ! ! ! ! Jesus...
>>
>> Bill "blame Jobst for my changed user name" S.

> An indelicate edit, I must say.

Took me a minute :)

Bill "maybe I'll resolve to start paying attention...at least to what *I*
do!" S.