Re: The answer to the relationship between body fat and diabetes?

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Guest
J. David Anderson wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/2/hi/health/4563604.stm

It is wiser to simply eat less:

http://tinyurl.com/9fs96

Would be more than happy to "glow" and chat about this and other things
like cardiology, diabetes and nutrition that interest those following
this thread here during the next on-line chat (12/29/05) from 6 to 7 pm
EST:

http://tinyurl.com/cpayh

For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for
how the LORD has reshaped me:

http://tinyurl.com/bgfqt

Prayerfully in Christ's love,

Andrew
http://tinyurl.com/b6xwk

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> J. David Anderson wrote:
>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/2/hi/health/4563604.stm

An example of spin. As far as I know there is no evidence
that low insulin levels are the origin of Type II diabetes.
Type II originates from the failure of insulin production
after years of *hyperinsulinism*.

This study demonstrates that fat has a therapeutic value for
people with a genetic predisposition to Type II diabetes. It
offers a way to control excessive insulin production and reduce
insulin resistance (the cause of hyperinsulinism) without
resorting to pharmaceuticals. Of course the "high" fat diet
has to be accompanied by low sugar (aka starch) consumption.

> It is wiser to simply eat less:

For people with insulin resistance it isn't so simple. The
composition of the food is of prime importance not just the
calorie count. People who do not have this condition and who
are unlikely to develop Type II diabetes should keep their
high carb diet notions to themselves. The diet recommendations
of the Diabetes Association are criminal. They do no service
to the people that they claim to care about. Their ideas are
based on flimsy interpretation of the evidence such as in this
article.

dissident wrote:
> Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
>
>> J. David Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/2/hi/health/4563604.stm

> An example of spin. As far as I know there is no evidence
> that low insulin levels are the origin of Type II diabetes.
> Type II originates from the failure of insulin production
> after years of *hyperinsulinism*.
>
> This study demonstrates that fat has a therapeutic value for
> people with a genetic predisposition to Type II diabetes. It
> offers a way to control excessive insulin production and reduce
> insulin resistance (the cause of hyperinsulinism) without
> resorting to pharmaceuticals. Of course the "high" fat diet
> has to be accompanied by low sugar (aka starch) consumption.
>
>> It is wiser to simply eat less:

> For people with insulin resistance it isn't so simple. The
> composition of the food is of prime importance not just the
> calorie count. People who do not have this condition and who
> are unlikely to develop Type II diabetes should keep their
> high carb diet notions to themselves. The diet recommendations
> of the Diabetes Association are criminal. They do no service
> to the people that they claim to care about. Their ideas are
> based on flimsy interpretation of the evidence such as in this
> article.

When I read the article, I felt disjointed, as if there was something
wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Thanks to the above, it is now clear.

The researchers appear to make the claim that Type II Diabetes is a
result of insufficient insulin generation .... and therefore anything
that inhibits insulin generation causes Type II Diabetes.

This is the *inccomplete* description of Type II, according to the
American Diabetic Association .....

And, of course, this use of an incomplete definition of the disorder is
the SPIN which you Idissident) identified.

http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diabetes.jsp

Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes. In type 2 diabetes,
*either* the body does not produce enough insulin or the cells ignore
the insulin. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use sugar.
Sugar is the basic fuel for the cells in the body, and insulin takes the
sugar from the blood into the cells. When glucose builds up in the blood
instead of going into cells, it can cause two problems:

* Right away, your cells may be starved for energy.
* Over time, high blood glucose levels may hurt your eyes, kidneys,
nerves or heart.

It seems that politics, religion and diet are all pertty fertile fields
for SPIN as one attempts to convince others that your belief is
true..... at any cost.

--
1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book