or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Running - Hydration and Goo/Snack question

post #1 of 13
Hello everyone,

I live in the US and I am training for a marathon in the fall. I have a
couple of questions about keeping myself energized during the run.

The first advice I got was to drink water (keep hydrated) while running.
Today while running, I stopped to take my first sip after 3.3 miles.
It was not a sip, I drank a lot of water. After drinking lot of water,
my speed slowed down considerably. How often do you have to drink water
and how much, without effecting the running speed? How do the good
runners do in this area?

The second question I have is about goo (I don't know what they call
this in the UK, it is kind of a power gel). In UK, there is something
like Glucose-D (something like sugar). Is Glucose-D sugar or is it
something more that sugar(in a good way)? Is this something that
runners would consume during the run?

Thank you for any information and advice you can give in this area.
--
SR
castellan2004-mail@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com

Re: Running - Hydration and Goo/Snack question

"Subba Rao" <castellan2004-mail@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com> wrote

> I live in the US and I am training for a marathon in the fall. I have a
> couple of questions about keeping myself energized during the run.

Truth be told, the best thing you can do to stay energized is to pace
yourself well and not go too fast at first.

After you've got a good pace plan worked out, then think about drinking
strategy and sustenance. At marathon pace, most folks aren't comfortable
consuming more than 200 calories per hour. This includes calories from
energy drinks and goos or other foodstuffs.

> The first advice I got was to drink water (keep hydrated) while running.
> Today while running, I stopped to take my first sip after 3.3 miles.
> It was not a sip, I drank a lot of water. After drinking lot of water,
> my speed slowed down considerably. How often do you have to drink water
> and how much, without effecting the running speed? How do the good
> runners do in this area?

First you need to find out how much water you lose while running. When you
get ready for a long run (say 2 hours), weigh yourself without clothes
before the start, keep track of everything you drink or eat, and weigh
yourself without your (possibly wet) clothes afterward.

Take that difference and add the number of lbs of water you consumed. Each
16oz (pint) of water weighs a pound.

Figure our your sweat rate per hour, and use that as a reasonable guide to
how much you should drink during your race. If you lose 24 oz / hour, try
to drink 6 oz every 15 minutes, or some other combination.

Obviously, if it's hot and sunny you're going to sweat more than if it's
cool and cloudy, so you might want to track how conditions affect you.

You do not want to weigh more at the finish than at the start, that could
indicate serious problems such as hyponatremia.

I drink from 20 oz transparent running bottles during races, so I know how
much I'm consuming.

In addition, you are advised to take a Salt tablet like a Succeed salt
capsule (look them up on the 'net) every hour and a half or so. (Note that
E-caps have much less salt and are not recommended) You lose salt when you
sweat, and it needs to be replaced, especially if you're going to be out
there 3 hours or more (as almost everyone is).

Finally, practice carrying water (I prefer the bottles so I can meter my
intake, and I have single and double bottle packs) during runs, and learn
how much you can drink without it bogging you down. I can handle 10 - 15
ounces without feeling it, but everyone is different.

> The second question I have is about goo (I don't know what they call
> this in the UK, it is kind of a power gel). In UK, there is something
> like Glucose-D (something like sugar). Is Glucose-D sugar or is it
> something more that sugar(in a good way)? Is this something that
> runners would consume during the run?

The thing to do is practice and experiment with some of the many goo-like
substances during your long runs. Just remember that eating too much will
bog you down big-time. I'd see how 1 / hour works as a starting point.

-- Dan
post #3 of 13

Subba Rao wrote:
> In UK, there is something
> like Glucose-D (something like sugar). Is Glucose-D sugar or is it
> something more that sugar(in a good way)?

To me, I don't see what the difference is between that
and Tang or tangerine squashes. It is my understanding
that it is "enriched" with vitamin D...

erika
post #4 of 13

Re: Running - Hydration and Goo/Snack question

>First you need to find out how much water you lose while running. When you
get ready for a long run (say 2 hours), weigh yourself without clothes
before the start, keep track of everything you drink or eat, and weigh
yourself without your (possibly wet) clothes afterward.

Take that difference and add the number of lbs of water you consumed.
Each
16oz (pint) of water weighs a pound.

Figure our your sweat rate per hour, and use that as a reasonable guide
how much you should drink during your race. If you lose 24 oz / hour,
try
to drink 6 oz every 15 minutes, or some other combination.>

See this is the "over-thinking" running I spoke of in another post.
This is just stupid. Gee, do you weigh yourself before or after you
crap? There's 4 or 5 lbs, then there's your clothing, and shoes,
and...see what I mean? This idea is just idiotic. Hydrate with water
and gatorade, and you should be fine.
post #5 of 13

Re: Running - Hydration and Goo/Snack question

>To me, I don't see what the difference is between that
and Tang or tangerine squashes. It is my understanding
that it is "enriched" with vitamin D...>

Your point is? There's plenty of alternatives. One sloth on here eats
ICE CREAM after his WO, then wonders why he's going so slow and
sweating so hard.
post #6 of 13

Dan Stumpus wrote:
> "Subba Rao" <castellan2004-mail@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com> wrote
>
> > I live in the US and I am training for a marathon in the fall. I have a
> > couple of questions about keeping myself energized during the run.

> Truth be told, the best thing you can do to stay energized is to pace
> yourself well and not go too fast at first.
>
> After you've got a good pace plan worked out, then think about drinking
> strategy and sustenance. At marathon pace, most folks aren't comfortable
> consuming more than 200 calories per hour. This includes calories from
> energy drinks and goos or other foodstuffs.

Good advice. Listen to him.

[]
> Figure our your sweat rate per hour, and use that as a reasonable guide to
> how much you should drink during your race. If you lose 24 oz / hour, try
> to drink 6 oz every 15 minutes, or some other combination.
>
> Obviously, if it's hot and sunny you're going to sweat more than if it's
> cool and cloudy, so you might want to track how conditions affect you.

I just have a minor quibble on this. Given that sweat is used to dump
heat generated internally, I don't think there is much difference
between a warm sunny day and a cool cloudy day. If you do find much
difference, I'd be interested to hear it. But for me the difference is
negligible.

[]

> The thing to do is practice and experiment with some of the many goo-like
> substances during your long runs. Just remember that eating too much will
> bog you down big-time. I'd see how 1 / hour works as a starting point.
>
> -- Dan

more good advice. Practice involves not just the feet. Learning how and
what to drink and eat on the run is part of it too.

Good luck with the training and the marathon run.
Ed
post #7 of 13

Re: Running - Hydration and Goo/Snack question

"george of the jungle" <NGscourge@gmail.com> wrote

>>....If you lose 24 oz / hour, try
>> to drink 6 oz every 15 minutes, or some other combination.

> See this is the "over-thinking" running I spoke of in another post.
> This is just stupid. Gee, do you weigh yourself before or after you
> crap? There's 4 or 5 lbs, then there's your clothing, and shoes,
> and...see what I mean? This idea is just idiotic. Hydrate with water
> and gatorade, and you should be fine.

Well, I've competed in over 30 marathons, only three of them slower than 3
hours, and got down to the 2:30's. I didn't get there by being haphazard in
either preparation or execution.

Some people naturally tend to hydrate properly, and many (especially more
serious types) don't drink nearly enough.

Good luck, Subba.

-- Dan
post #8 of 13

Re: Running - Hydration and Goo/Snack question

Practice a few times in advance to get used to
drinking and eating. else you may have the side
effects you already notice.
post #9 of 13

Dan Stumpus wrote:
> "Subba Rao" <castellan2004-mail@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com> wrote
>
>>I live in the US and I am training for a marathon in the fall. I have a
>>couple of questions about keeping myself energized during the run.

> Truth be told, the best thing you can do to stay energized is to pace
> yourself well and not go too fast at first.
>
> After you've got a good pace plan worked out, then think about drinking
> strategy and sustenance. At marathon pace, most folks aren't comfortable
> consuming more than 200 calories per hour. This includes calories from
> energy drinks and goos or other foodstuffs.

< SNIP >

Dan,

Thank you for this advice!

Regards,

Subba Rao

--
SR
castellan2004-mail@SPAMBUSTER.yahoo.com
Please remove SPAMBUSTER to reply via email.
post #10 of 13

Sam <marathonman@mindspring.com> wrote:

> "Dan Stumpus" <dstumpus_NOSP@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "george of the jungle" <NGscourge@gmail.com> wrote

> >> See this is the "over-thinking" running I spoke of in another post.
> >> This is just stupid. Gee, do you weigh yourself before or after you
> >> crap? There's 4 or 5 lbs, then there's your clothing, and shoes,
> >> and...see what I mean? This idea is just idiotic. Hydrate with water
> >> and gatorade, and you should be fine.

> Your craps weigh 4 or 5 pounds? Wow, do you only **** once a week?

I think he was just being sarcastic when he said 4-5 lbs.
post #11 of 13

<jobin@remove-deez-words.hotmail.com.edu> wrote in message
>> Your craps weigh 4 or 5 pounds? Wow, do you only **** once a
>> week?

> I think he was just being sarcastic when he said 4-5 lbs.

I thought it was humor.

-DF
post #12 of 13

Sam wrote:

> Your craps weigh 4 or 5 pounds?

andrew albright claimed that a good crap could weigh 2-3 pounds, and i'm
sure you'll agree that he was the expert on crap.
reference:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e=source&hl=en
post #13 of 13

Re: Running - Hydration and Goo/Snack question

Here in America we don't call them Goo snacks............they're called
money shots.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Fitness