Standing Rib Question

Kent

Guest
How long, if at all, do you warm up your standing rib roast toward, or to
room temp. before roasting.
Do you roast at a constant +- 300F, or do you start high 475F and then drop
300+-F?
Julia Child does the former. Many, many others do the latter.
What is your preference?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Kent

>How long, if at all, do you warm up your standing rib roast toward, or to
room temp. before roasting.

I'd imagine size/weight will determine how long the roast needs to sit
out before reaching room temp.
I also like to sear my roast on the stovetop in a piping hot heavy
bottomed skillet to brown the roast and seal in the juices before
putting in the oven.
The actual roasting temperature can vary from recipe to recipe but
i've never roasted a rib roast that required two temps. I'd suggest
you find a recipe online and follow it.

"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I'd imagine size/weight will determine how long the roast needs to sit
> out before reaching room temp.
> I also like to sear my roast on the stovetop in a piping hot heavy
> bottomed skillet to brown the roast and seal in the juices before
> putting in the oven.
> The actual roasting temperature can vary from recipe to recipe but
> i've never roasted a rib roast that required two temps. I'd suggest
> you find a recipe online and follow it.

We let ours sit out for 30 to 60 minutes.

Searing does not seal in juices, but it does give a nice finish and flavor.
We do that on pot roast for the best flavor.

Some rib roast recipes call for a very hot starting temperature to give a
bark on the outside, then a lower temperature to finish. Some call for the
opposite. Both work well.

Two schools of thought on this. Some people like the roast to be the same
color all the way through. That is the one temperature, low temperature
method. My preference is to have a contrast of the more well done outer
ring and the very pink center. thus the start high, then low method.
Neither is wrong, just a personal preference.

Kent wrote:

> How long, if at all, do you warm up your standing rib roast toward, or to
> room temp. before roasting.
> Do you roast at a constant +- 300F, or do you start high 475F and then drop
> 300+-F?
> Julia Child does the former. Many, many others do the latter.
> What is your preference?
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Kent

This Christmas I did a 14 lb rib roast. I let it sit out
about an hour before cooking. Starting internal temp was
about 50 F. I think it's OK to wait longer, but
I don't think it's really necessary. I haven't
noticed a difference when starting the meat exactly
at room temp other than a faster cook time.

I always start high then go low. Sear it well on the
grill then put it in the smoker at 250 F.

I've also done it the other way around, low first
then finish in a 500 F oven or on the grill. Either
way works in my opinion. I prefer to sear first
for logistical reasons... things are simpler at
serving time when I have a house full of people.

I've also had them cooked at a constant temp of
250-300 F. It's fine that way, but I think it does
end up with less of a crust.

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:49:18 -0800, "Kent" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>How long, if at all, do you warm up your standing rib roast toward, or to
>room temp. before roasting.
>Do you roast at a constant +- 300F, or do you start high 475F and then drop
>300+-F?
>Julia Child does the former. Many, many others do the latter.
>What is your preference?

I let it sit out for 2-2.5 hours, then do the latter (at 275F).

>Thanks for any thoughts.

Anything for you. Kent.

-sw

>Searing does not seal in juices, but it does give a nice finish and flavor.
We do that on pot roast for the best flavor.

Edwin is correct as a little research on my part has shown. I did find
a reason to sear however.

"Browning is very important when cooking meat, but not for the reason
that you might think. For at least a hundred years, cooks have been
taught that searing, or browning, seals in juices. But it doesn't.
Harold McGee, the author of On Food and Cooking (Simon & Schuster,
1984), demonstrated conclusively that meat loses about the same amount
of juice during cooking whether it is seared or not.

So why brown meat? Because it creates a tremendous amount of flavor.
This happens through a process called the Maillard reaction, named
after the French chemist who first described it in the early 1900s. The
Maillard reaction occurs when the amino acids (protein components) and
sugars in meat (or almost any food) are subjected to heat, which causes
them to combine. In the process, hundreds of different flavor compounds
are created. These compounds in turn break down to form yet more new
flavor compounds, and so on and so on and so on. It's kind of like
rabbits multiplying.

As it turns out, each type of food has a very distinctive set of flavor
compounds that are formed during the Maillard reaction. In fact, it is
these same compounds that flavor scientists have used over the years to
create artificial flavors."

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:09:27 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've also done it the other way around, low first
>then finish in a 500 F oven or on the grill. Either
>way works in my opinion. I prefer to sear first
>for logistical reasons... things are simpler at
>serving time when I have a house full of people.

And if you start on high first, it makes the house smell really
good really fast.

-sw

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:49:18 -0800, "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How long, if at all, do you warm up your standing rib roast toward, or to
>room temp. before roasting.

As long as it takes to get it from the fridge,
plug in the thermometer, and stuff it into the oven.

>Do you roast at a constant +- 300F,

I usually cook it at 250F.

I've found NO advantage to the short time at a high heat.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

On 2 Jan 2006 13:00:34 -0800, "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote:

>and seal in the juices before putting in the oven.

The whole 'sealing in the juices' thing is a myth.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

> How long, if at all, do you warm up your standing rib roast toward, or to
> room temp. before roasting.
> Do you roast at a constant +- 300F, or do you start high 475F and then drop
> 300+-F?

Very un-pc, I usually come in at 4 pm from whatever I am doing, yank a roast
out of the freezer, pull off the freezer bag and stick it straight in the oven,
in a covered roasting dish, set the oven to somewhere between 160 and 175
Celsius and go back to what I was doing for the next 3 hours.

I might, if I remember, come in around the 2 1/4 hour mark and add some liquid.
It browns itself. I haven't had any complaints yet, and people are usually too
busy stuffing their faces at dinner to talk too much, maybe making the odd mmmh
sound (so it seems to be pretty tasty).

-P.

"Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How long, if at all, do you warm up your standing rib roast toward, or to
> room temp. before roasting.
> Do you roast at a constant +- 300F, or do you start high 475F and then

drop
> 300+-F?
> Julia Child does the former. Many, many others do the latter.
> What is your preference?
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Kent

Every Christmas we do a standing rib roast. We're talking expensive beef
here. This year's roast was $150.00 for 4 bones. Aged prime Angus beef.
Worth every penny and a very rare treat.

So cooking it is something I take seriously. I always do it by making a rub
of 1/3 cup kosher salt and 2 large teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper.
Mix it up, and pack it onto the roast completely. You're making a salt
crust basically. Then it goes straight into a 350 degree oven with a
temperature probe in the center of the roast. No need to use a rack, just
straight onto the pan bone side down. Roast until it reaches 125 degrees
for medium rare. It averages 20 minutes a pound but it varies. Then remove
it, cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil to seal in the heat and allow
to rest for 30 minutes. Do not remove the probe at this point. The
internal temperature will climb 5-10 degrees reaching the ideal 135 for
medium rare. This will also ensure you have end pieces that are well done.
Some people simply cannot eat rare beef.

What you'll get is a perfectly cooked, moist and incredibly juicy roast.
Works every time, no muss, no fuss. Easy peasy. But do keep in mind the
single biggest consideration is the cut of beef. We use aged prime but a
good choice cut is pretty nice too. The meat shop preps the roast for us
beforehand. The cut off the ribs, trim the fat and then ties the bones back
on. I've found it works very well this way.

Paul

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:36:17 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Every Christmas we do a standing rib roast. We're talking expensive beef
>here. This year's roast was $150.00 for 4 bones. Aged prime Angus beef.
>Worth every penny and a very rare treat.

ACK!!

I paid $4 a pound for a 10 pound piece at Ralphs,
cut it in half and froze one, cooked the other
and ate it.

If it had been ANY better, I'd have had to kill myself,
it would be so good!

I couldn't even consider it ever being better.

I would NEVER pay $150 for anything that wasn't going to last a few months!

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

"Never anonymous Bud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:36:17 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Every Christmas we do a standing rib roast. We're talking expensive beef
> >here. This year's roast was $150.00 for 4 bones. Aged prime Angus beef.
> >Worth every penny and a very rare treat.

> ACK!!
>
> I paid $4 a pound for a 10 pound piece at Ralphs,
> cut it in half and froze one, cooked the other
> and ate it.
>
> If it had been ANY better, I'd have had to kill myself,
> it would be so good!
>
> I couldn't even consider it ever being better.
>
> I would NEVER pay $150 for anything that wasn't going to last a few

months!

Same here. At 15 bucks a pound it is a very special treat and one we enjoy
only on Christmas. I look at it as just 12 bucks a month I need to save.
I've eaten at some great prime rib joints like Lawry's in Los Angeles and
trust me, this stuff is better by a longshot. Life is good and it's even
better when you splurge on your friends and family.

Paul

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Never anonymous Bud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:36:17 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > >Every Christmas we do a standing rib roast. We're talking expensive beef
> > >here. This year's roast was $150.00 for 4 bones. Aged prime Angus beef.
> > >Worth every penny and a very rare treat.

> > ACK!!
> >
> > I paid $4 a pound for a 10 pound piece at Ralphs,
> > cut it in half and froze one, cooked the other
> > and ate it.
> >
> > If it had been ANY better, I'd have had to kill myself,
> > it would be so good!
> >
> > I couldn't even consider it ever being better.
> >
> > I would NEVER pay $150 for anything that wasn't going to last a few

> months!
>

> Same here. At 15 bucks a pound it is a very special treat and one we enjoy
> only on Christmas. I look at it as just 12 bucks a month I need to save.
> I've eaten at some great prime rib joints like Lawry's in Los Angeles and
> trust me, this stuff is better by a longshot. Life is good and it's even
> better when you splurge on your friends and family.

And you at least got good utility from your roast. Chronic Cheap
******* "Bud" up there froze half his investment, which essentially
turned it into $2/lb pot roast.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Reg <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>This Christmas I did a 14 lb rib roast.

> What kind of interest rate did you get on the bank loan?

It's not expensive, just don't buy retail. Buy from a commercial
suppliers and save 40-50%. You'll get better quality too.

Get a resale license. The extra paperwork is worth it.

"Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Every Christmas we do a standing rib roast. We're talking expensive beef
> here. This year's roast was $150.00 for 4 bones. Aged prime Angus beef.
> Worth every penny and a very rare treat.

WHERE do you shop?

"Kent" <[email protected]> writes:

>How long, if at all, do you warm up your standing rib roast toward, or to
>room temp. before roasting.
>Do you roast at a constant +- 300F, or do you start high 475F and then drop

The two 2-rib standing rib roasts I did for Christmas Eve turned out
well with a combination of advice I got here plus something I saw on the
Barefoot Contessa. I let the roast sit about 30 minutes, then covered
with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper. We cooked it at 500 degrees
for 20 minutes, then lowered to 325 until the temp was 115, then blasted
for another 5 minutes at 500 again. Just to get some good flavor on the
outside.
I guess we let it rest about 25 minutes before we carved it. It was
extremely good.

Stacia

Did my first standing rib roast this year. 4 ribs, 10+ lbs, $101.

I used the Cooks Illustrated method since they do so much research and
tell you the results. I let the roast sit out for 4 or more hrs. I
seared it on high heat to brown it and make it yummy looking and then 30
min/lb at 200F. It was perfect. I've never ever had better prime rib.
Completely uniformly pink from end to end.

Ooo and the next day I took the ribs, smeared with with mustard and
Maker's Mark BBQ sauce and broiled them. OMG... tasty.

Results like this are the reason I sprung for the complete hardbound
copies of the entire run of the magazine.