Kris Holm Unicycle vs. Yuni Unicycle

My vote is the KH. I haven't ridden the Yuni set-up, but the Freeride
is incredible. I took it on a long rocky, dusty singletrack last
summer and was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. The Yuni
components look just as strong, except maybe for the frame.....the KH
is really great....strong and light (relatively speaking).

--
unidaddy

'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/cx3jh)
unidaddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7879

onewheeling wrote:
> Would it be a good move to upgrade the tire to the Nokian Gazzaloddi?
> And is the brake really worth the extra money?
> -onewheeling

I think brakes are only needed for very difficult, steep and technical
trails. I do pretty hard trails without any brakes, it's just REALLy
tiring and when I'm done I can barely walk.

--
Bryan Stevens
Bryan Stevens's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11463

onewheeling wrote:
> Would it be a good move to upgrade the tire to the Nokian Gazzaloddi?

Depends what size. The Gazz 2.3" is a horrible horrible tyre to ride.
I have read good reports of other Gazz sizes, but many people have
agreed with my assessment of the 2.3".

--
Mikefule

"The good life is the life inspired by love and informed by knowledge."

Russell

I can't coment on the Yuni, but I have a 24"XC Kris Holm, and it is
great.

I quite fancy getting a brake for the odd times that I ride down really
steep, and loose trails. I don't need one most of the time, but it
would be good when you need it.

--
innes
innes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9123

onewheeling wrote:
> Would it be a good move to upgrade the tire to the Nokian Gazzaloddi?
> And is the brake really worth the extra money?
> -onewheeling

No need for the tyre upgrade, that's an awful lot of extra money for
something that most people think is about the same quality as the duro
tyre. Some people like the Gazz more, some people like the Duro more,
but there's not much between them.

I wouldn't bother with the brake, better to learn without one and then
add it later once you know whether you want it and you've learnt basic
muni skills like riding down steep hills without the help of a brake.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

yea if you get one ot these uni's get the KH for sure. Its light, and
strong. Dont get a gazz tire on it or a brake either, id say get a gazz
for your next tire to compare them and see witch you like best. Brakes
are really not needed.

--
musketman
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

agreeing with musketman here.

I have a KH24 (biased?), and it is the sweetness. the gazz/duro tires
are more or less the same (duro is a round-profile while the gazz is
square), but the price differential is much greater. Also, the kh
crankset is in many ways better than the profiles. A brake is something
to get after you know you need it. I've read somewhere onthe forums
that it's better for your style if you don't have one while you're
still getting into it anyhow, so you don't become reliant on a brake.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

The Yuni was worth the money a couple of years ago, but it hasn't really
been updated since then. The only advantage it has over the KH is that
the seat tube goes all the way through the frame; the adjustability on
the KH is quite small, too small for a MUni in my opinion. (The
distance between post-bottomed-out and min-insertion is only about an
inch).

In other aspects, the quality of the KH is higher and it's noticably
lighter. The KH has a rail adapter and an tilt-adjustable seat post
for comfort. It also looks like the Yuni has plastic pedals, which is a
bummer for MUni. Most people prefer the 24" to the 26", though it
depends on your terrain. And whether you get the brake now or not, the
KH will accomodate one if you decide to go that way in the future.

--
tholub

I dunno why so many people are rabid fans of KH frames... what do you
get for the extra $100 or so? You save a little weight but you can't
adjust the saddle height very much? :rolleyes: Unlike bicycles, the
unicycle frame isn't a critical component... spend your money on a
bomber wheelset and a comfy seat and you're good to go! (As an aside,
I'm still floored that KH can't seem to manufacture a seat that'll hold
up to much abuse, despite their ability to build a decent uni)

The Yuni frame has been absolutely bombproof for me. Unlike the KH,
this frame needs no updating, it's a great design as-is! (It could use
some brake bosses but heck, it's a good excuse to do a little welding
:) ) I have the Yuni / Profile setup in 20" and 24" and have abused
both thorougly. Neither frame shows more than a scratch. If you like
the KH blue, spend a few bucks and rattle-can your Yuni frame. Heck,
you've saved so much buying the frame, you can even afford a powder
coat!

One of the main reasons I buy Profile is because of the warranty. Even
if I never make use of the warranty, I'd still prefer to give my money
to a company that stands behind their products. I also like the
recognition I get from BMX riders when they see I'm riding on some of
their top-of-the-line components :)

When it comes down to it, there really isn't much difference between
the two unis. They've both got super-strong, rider-tested (and proven)
hub and crank sets. They both need a pedal and seat upgrade before
they're bomb-proof, although they're both trail-ready out of the box.
And, um, they're both unicycles. So don't sweat the differences so
much... just take your pick!

Regarding the brake... unless you're going to ride super steep slopes,
or do miles of downhill, don't worry about it... unless your knees are
in bad shape.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

I like the KH frames, but agree that that's the last place you need to
spend money. Still, the rest of the uni is sweet. I'm still mixed about
the whole "rail adaptor" thing, but the only thing that's better and
retains angle ajustability is the SW Carbon Seat, which are well worth
it, but expensive).

Regarding KH seats. While they've definitely had a history of breakage,
they've improved a lot over the years. They're still the best MUni seat
for $40.

--
mscalisi
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

--
mscalisi
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

i absolutely love my khs (muni and trials) and the weight difference is
very noticeable

i think the cranks are just as strong and roger at udc uk said that the
KH hubs makes a stronger wheel build

also, the KH seats have been upgraded to low-profile, dual density foam
as well as having a much stronger base and stiffener plate

my friend broke an old KH seat easy but has yet to break the new one on
his trials uni

--
ColDawG

Your friendly, neighborhood Muniman

http://www.wheelaway.com/
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

maestro8 wrote:
> I dunno why so many people are rabid fans of KH frames... what do you
> get for the extra $100 or so? You save a little weight but you can't
> adjust the saddle height very much? :rolleyes: Unlike bicycles, the
> unicycle frame isn't a critical component... spend your money on a
> bomber wheelset and a comfy seat and you're good to go!

In the two configurations the original poster gave, the Yuni was $137
more than the KH.

--
tholub

My MUni Profile-wheeled Yuni 24" with the Gazz, a stiffened miyata seat
on a rail, and the kinport handles. It is a very strong unicycle.
Sometimes, before a MUni ride, I'll put it out in the back yard and
fire a couple bazooka rounds at it, just to get it warmed up. They
bounce right off and land where Leon's trailer used to be, before I
started MUniing.

Seriously though, having a lifetime warranty on the easiest-to-break
part of your unicycle is really nice. However, good luck breaking
either a profile or a KH. The KH is an extremely popular uni that is
becoming more and more a standard. Some measurements of the Yuni do not
match up to those on the KH--the bearing size and the seat post
diameter. Finding seat post upgrades for your Yuni will be harder. You
will need to buy a rail adapter for your YUni if you want to upgrade
seatposts, The KH comes with a rail adapter.

In conclusion, the Profile hub wins in durability, and the KH mountain
unicycle wins in overall quality. It is hard to beat a KH unicyle,
however, that does not change the fact that profile wheelsets are the
indisputable top-tier for quality over time. Will you still be riding
hardcore, equipment-punishing trails in three years?

--
TheBadger587

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587