Toddler drowns; woman who can't swim jailed for not jumping in

This is late and I don't know of any updates, offhand, but here it is.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05278/582741.stm

Also, search in Google Groups under "Susan Newkirk" OR "toddler
drowns" and "jailed" and you'll find quite a few thoughtful (and angry)
threads.

(Though one person argued that maybe she was really jailed for failing
to prevent him from falling in to begin with and the reporter didn't
get that. I doubt it, though I suspect she'd never have been convicted
had one of the other non-swimmers drowned.)

Lenona.

[email protected] wrote:

> http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05278/582741.stm

> (Though one person argued that maybe she was really jailed for failing
> to prevent him from falling in to begin with and the reporter didn't
> get that. I doubt it, though I suspect she'd never have been convicted
> had one of the other non-swimmers drowned.)

I read about this in the local rag. Essentially, she and her boyfriend
foolishly took his child too close to the edge of a swollen stream so
they could gawk at the flooding. They were behaving like the rubes who
just have to visit the beach before a hurricane. He was pretty stupid
for letting a non-swimmer watch his son, but as the adult present when
the boy fell in, she bears the blame.

Coincidentally, soon-to-retire District Attorney Dave Gorman is one of
the stalwarts of my old masters team.