Today's walk (urw)

Chris Hill

Guest
(Also posted to dl)

Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;

http://inder140106.fotopic.net

Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the
best weather either, as you can see.

--
Chris Hill

contained the following:

>Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;

No one joined you then?

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

"Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (Also posted to dl)
>
> Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;
>
> http://inder140106.fotopic.net
>
> Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the best
> weather either, as you can see.
>
> --
> Chris Hill

Chris

Looking at your photos you obviously walked the same route I walked in 02.
Even parked at the same car park. Cuh ? One of my most memorable moments
from my walk apart from seeing the downfall for the first time was a rather
large highland moo at less than 30 paces. Me and the rest of the group were
walking rather carefully thru the same field as it thinking how fast we
could run and how fast it could run. Thankfully the moo only won the
staring competition

http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Steve/Kinder/I%20ate%20the%20last%20walker!.JPG

excellent shots BTW, I must get a decent camera

Steve

In message <[email protected]>, Steve Ray
<[email protected]> writes

<snip>

>Chris
>
>Looking at your photos you obviously walked the same route I walked in 02.
>Even parked at the same car park. Cuh ?

Well... not really. If you want to go round Kinder from the Hayfield
side you don't really have much choice as to routes and start/end
points. It was pretty much deserted today, but try going up in the
middle of the day in good weather in spring - you'll be bumping into
people every few seconds!

>One of my most memorable moments
>from my walk apart from seeing the downfall for the first time was a rather
>large highland moo at less than 30 paces. Me and the rest of the group were
>walking rather carefully thru the same field as it thinking how fast we
>could run and how fast it could run. Thankfully the moo only won the
>staring competition
>
>http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Steve/Kinder/I ate the last wal
>ker!.JPG

That looks uncannily like;

http://photos.holosys.co.uk/p/30197

taken by Chris Lawrence when we went round Lantern Pike a while ago.
They're fearsome-looking, for sure, but apparently very placid. And also
very inquisitive, which was probably why it was giving you the hard
stare. That said, I still feel slightly nervous around them and always
try to make sure I've got a wall or fence a few yards away.

>excellent shots BTW,

Thanks - they were the "best" of a very large bunch, most of which
suffered from camera-shake. Fortunately I took two or three of every
view.

>I must get a decent camera

Mine's am Ixus 40. Don't know if it's "decent", but it does for me.

Liked your shot of The Downfall, BTW.
--
Chris Hill

contained the following:

>>No one joined you then?

>Nope.

Now there's a surprise.

I'll join you on the next one.

By the way the rocks look like the same rocks as these
http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Geoff/kinder/rocks.jpg

On that trip the stream leading to the downfall was frozen over.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

contained the following:

>excellent shots BTW, I must get a decent camera

Told you, you can borrow mine - you can even carry the bugger... ;-)
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

> Told you, you can borrow mine - you can even carry the bugger... ;-)

OK Cool. I won't charge the batteries up in mine for tomorrow... ;->

news:[email protected]...

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Chris Hill wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, Steve Ray
> <[email protected]> writes
> > http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Steve/Kinder/I ate the last wal
> > ker!.JPG

> That looks uncannily like;
>
> http://photos.holosys.co.uk/p/30197

Steve's looks like it's eaten a few more walkers than mine :)

> Thanks - they were the "best" of a very large bunch, most of which suffered
> from camera-shake. Fortunately I took two or three of every view.

Did you stop to take them? I found on GG, which was the first walk I
did where the pace really set in, that I wanted to take photos but
didn't like pausing to do so. So I walked and snapped, pausing evry now
and then, most of them turned out blurred as hell and the ones online
are the best ones. Hurrah for digital photography!

--
Chris

In message <[email protected]>, Geoff Berrow
<[email protected]> writes
>contained the following:
>
>>>No one joined you then?

>>Nope.

>Now there's a surprise.

I couldn't possibly comment.

>I'll join you on the next one.

Good!

>By the way the rocks look like the same rocks as these
>http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Geoff/kinder/rocks.jpg

Yup - those are the ones, from a slightly different angle. I recognise
the path going off behind them. Wonder what they're called...

>On that trip the stream leading to the downfall was frozen over.

Well, yeah, I mean, you went on a *cold* day.
--
Chris Hill

In message <[email protected]>, Chris
Lawrence <[email protected]> writes
>On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Chris Hill wrote:
>
>> In message <[email protected]>, Steve Ray
>> <[email protected]> writes
>> > http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Steve/Kinder/I ate the last wal
>> > ker!.JPG

>> That looks uncannily like;
>>
>> http://photos.holosys.co.uk/p/30197

>Steve's looks like it's eaten a few more walkers than mine :)
>
>> Thanks - they were the "best" of a very large bunch, most of which suffered
>> from camera-shake. Fortunately I took two or three of every view.

>Did you stop to take them?

Yes - every time.

>I found on GG, which was the first walk I
>did where the pace really set in, that I wanted to take photos but
>didn't like pausing to do so.

Me neither, because it meant breaking my rhythm. I almost didn't bother
with a camera at all because of the rain and because I knew it would
slow me down.

>So I walked and snapped, pausing evry now
>and then, most of them turned out blurred as hell and the ones online
>are the best ones. Hurrah for digital photography!

At least you don't have to worry about wasting film. Mine will do 1400+
pictures at a reasonable resolution.

We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...
--
Chris Hill

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Chris Hill wrote:

> > I found on GG, which was the first walk I
> > did where the pace really set in, that I wanted to take photos but
> > didn't like pausing to do so.

> Me neither, because it meant breaking my rhythm. I almost didn't bother with a
> camera at all because of the rain and because I knew it would slow me down.

Tis all worth it though afterwards when you have a permanent record of
the day, as well as interesting reference photos to compare with other
people's.

> > So I walked and snapped, pausing evry now
> > and then, most of them turned out blurred as hell and the ones online
> > are the best ones. Hurrah for digital photography!

> At least you don't have to worry about wasting film. Mine will do 1400+
> pictures at a reasonable resolution.

Indeed, no more of this 36 photos and then going to a shop malarky.
It's nice to be able to take a few photos and bin all but the best
without paying for the privilege.

> We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

In walking boots or in a 4x4...?

--
Chris

In article <[email protected]>, chris@chris-
h.demon.co.uk says...
> In message <[email protected]>, Geoff Berrow
> <[email protected]> writes
> >contained the following:

> >>Nope.

> >Now there's a surprise.

> I couldn't possibly comment.

I will.

Just proves what a spineless, lying coward Rooney is.

No big surprise there.

--
Neil Barker

In article <[email protected]>, chris@chris-
h.demon.co.uk says...

> At least you don't have to worry about wasting film. Mine will do 1400+
> pictures at a reasonable resolution.
>
> We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

Hahahahahaha.

Hang on. I'll just talk nicely to a helicopter pilot friend of mine....

Just bought a new camera yesterday - Nikon D2X, 2700UKP and 12.4Mp.

Lovely it is.

--
Neil Barker

[email protected] said...
> (Also posted to dl)
>
> Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;
>
> http://inder140106.fotopic.net

Sorry I couldn't join you - it would have been nice to meet you. I
notice you don't mention Mr R... Take it he didn't show?

> Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the
> best weather either, as you can see.

You should have come to south Wales. It's not been too bad here today.
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

In message <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> (Also posted to dl)
>>
>> Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;
>>
>> http://inder140106.fotopic.net

>Sorry I couldn't join you - it would have been nice to meet you. I
>notice you don't mention Mr R... Take it he didn't show?

He didn't. We'd agreed 8am, I was there from 7:40 to 8:10 but he didn't
show up. I don't mind, but a simple email or News posting indicating he
wasn't coming would have been at least courteous. Never mind.

>> Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the
>> best weather either, as you can see.

>You should have come to south Wales. It's not been too bad here today.

I wouldn't mind, actually. I fancy walking the infamous "Fan Dance" some
time.
--
Chris Hill

In message <[email protected]>, Neil Barker
<[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, chris@chris-
>h.demon.co.uk says...
>
>> At least you don't have to worry about wasting film. Mine will do 1400+
>> pictures at a reasonable resolution.
>>
>> We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

>Hahahahahaha.
>
>Hang on. I'll just talk nicely to a helicopter pilot friend of mine....

That's about the only way if you don't want to walk.

>Just bought a new camera yesterday - Nikon D2X, 2700UKP and 12.4Mp.
>
>Lovely it is.

Hang on - I thought you once said that ~4Mp was enough for anyone?
--
Chris Hill

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:35:29 +0000 (UTC), in
<[email protected]>
(uk.rec.walking) "Ian Dainty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Paul Rooney is normally SO reliable.

I agree. I could list several things for which he could be relied
upon.
--
Charlie