or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Restaurant called Johnny's Beef in Chicago???? Recipe???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Restaurant called Johnny's Beef in Chicago???? Recipe???

post #1 of 28
Hi all,

A few months ago my husband went to Chicago on buisness and when he was
there one of his co-workers took him to a restaurant called Johnny's Beef,
it's a fast food place I think. Anyway he had a sandwich with shredded beef
in it and he said it was really good, he's still talking about it. I've
never been to Chicago so I have no idea what it tasted like or what was in
it. I'd really like to surprise him and try to duplicate that sandwich for
him. Has anyone been to that restaurant? What did you think of it? Does
anyone have a recipe for that beef sandwich or what's in it?
Thanks.

Greatly appreciated,
SPOONS
post #2 of 28

Re: Restaurant called Johnny's Beef in Chicago???? Recipe???

SPOONS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A few months ago my husband went to Chicago on buisness and when he was
> there one of his co-workers took him to a restaurant called Johnny's Beef,
> it's a fast food place I think. Anyway he had a sandwich with shredded beef
> in it and he said it was really good, he's still talking about it. I've
> never been to Chicago so I have no idea what it tasted like or what was in
> it. I'd really like to surprise him and try to duplicate that sandwich for
> him. Has anyone been to that restaurant? What did you think of it? Does
> anyone have a recipe for that beef sandwich or what's in it?
> Thanks.
>
> Greatly appreciated,
> SPOONS

I've been to Chicago many times, but never been to a "Johnny's Beef."
"Chicago Beef" is a well-practiced recipe on the web - do a Google
search for 'recipes sandwiches chicago beef', and you'll have plenty.
Most have some peperoncini or bell pepper rings, onion, etc., and you
can do the beef in a crockpot.

N.
post #3 of 28

"SPOONS" <goldenspoonsNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> A few months ago my husband went to Chicago on buisness and when he was
> there one of his co-workers took him to a restaurant called Johnny's Beef,
> it's a fast food place I think. Anyway he had a sandwich with shredded

beef
> in it and he said it was really good, he's still talking about it. I've
> never been to Chicago so I have no idea what it tasted like or what was in
> it. I'd really like to surprise him and try to duplicate that sandwich

for
> him. Has anyone been to that restaurant? What did you think of it?

Does
> anyone have a recipe for that beef sandwich or what's in it?
> Thanks.
>
> Greatly appreciated,
> SPOONS

Italian Beef, another almost meal in a sandwich is an exclusively
Chicago-land staple. Shaved round steak is gently cooked in a variety of
herb and spice juice (whole pepper corns, red pepper, oregano, et al) to a
very tender medium to mostly well done status. Split 6 inches of a fine
Italian bread (Gonnella bread is the preferred among fine I-beef purveyors)
and LOAD it with dripping beef. For a wet sandwich, the entire bread and
meat construction is dunked into the juices. The either (or both) marinated
sweet peppers or giardianara (actually a relish of celery, olives, carrot,
and green chilies in olive oil) are splayed across the top. This is then
triple wrapped (to ensure that only you can splash it on yourself with
juices). If it isn't running down your arm, it isn't a dipped beef. They
also cut their own French fries and double fry them (European
style).....another wonderful heart attack in the making.

Johnny's Beef....gosh, been a long time and I really don't remember it being
that outstanding....guess I have to make a trip there again. My choice
since my college days that mid-later part of the last century is Al's Best
Chicago Beef on Taylor Street near the University of Illinois on Chicago's
near West Side (I used to drive over from Evanston, home of Northwestern U,
no small trek.). They do more with their beef than just slab it on the
bread. Pieces of red chilies are evident in the beef and it is so densely
packed so as to make for a very heavy, amazingly flavored sandwich. They do
have satellite franchise locations that aren't bad but not quite the same.

Rand
post #4 of 28

Sheldon wrote:

> SPOONS wrote:
> >
> > A few months ago my husband went to Chicago on buisness and when he was
> > there one of his co-workers took him to a restaurant called Johnny's

Beef,
> > it's a fast food place I think. Anyway he had a sandwich with shredded

beef
> > in it and he said it was really good, he's still talking about it. I've
> > never been to Chicago so I have no idea what it tasted like or what was

in
> > it. I'd really like to surprise him and try to duplicate that sandwich

for
> > him. Has anyone been to that restaurant? What did you think of it?

Does
> > anyone have a recipe for that beef sandwich or what's in it?

> Apparently yet another ubiquitous French Dip (the bread is more
> important than the beef), not my fav.

It's one of those legendary Chicawgo "staples" to which I've never cottoned,
another I don't care for is deep - dish pizza.

--
Best
Greg

SPOONS wrote:

> A few months ago my husband went to Chicago on buisness and when he was
> there one of his co-workers took him to a restaurant called Johnny's Beef,
> it's a fast food place I think. Anyway he had a sandwich with shredded

beef
> in it and he said it was really good, he's still talking about it. I've
> never been to Chicago so I have no idea what it tasted like or what was in
> it. I'd really like to surprise him and try to duplicate that sandwich

for
> him. Has anyone been to that restaurant? What did you think of it?

Does
> anyone have a recipe for that beef sandwich or what's in it?
> Thanks.

A discussion of Eye - talian Beef on a local Chicago food forum (these folx
know their stuff, they regularly hold "Beef - a - thons" to seek out the
best):

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2931

Here is a good primer on the subject from United's in - flight magazine,
written by a local Chicago critic:

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/r...05/chicago.htm

Roving Gourmet: Chicago's Italian Beef Stands

"The Windy City has many answers to the question, "Where's the beef?" One of
the best, beyond Chicago's steakhouses, is a bunch of informal eateries that
attract standing-room-only crowds for succulent beef sandwiches. / By Pat
Bruno

It's a sandwich as unique to Chicago as the Sears Tower, Soldier Field, and
those lovable Cubs. It's been featured (and eaten) on national TV. It's been
written about in big-name magazines (with, I might add, the same gusto as
torchon de foie gras au sel). The sandwich of which I speak is Italian beef.
Around the Windy City, this beauty of a feast has more clout than "da Mare."

The Italian beef sandwich is so uniquely Chicago that it deserves, along
with our fabulous deep-dish pizza and our fabled Chicago hot dog (encased
meats are to Chicago what barbecue is to Memphis), a lofty ride on the winds
of hyperbole. And, yes, it is that good.

As the self-appointed tour guide for the foods of Chicago, I believe there
are a few things you need to know about how we operate around here. Digest
this information and you'll be ordering and eating an Italian beef sandwich
like a native.

Around Chicago, a casual, hole-in-the-wall place that has a counter where
you can stand and eat while watching the crew slap the food together is
called a "stand." We have hot dog stands, and we have beef stands; that's
it. Places that sell submarine sandwiches and pizza by the slice are not
called stands. However, even if the beef stand doesn't have a place to
stand, it's referred to as a stand. I know that doesn't make much sense, but
roll with it.

Once a beef stand has been around for a while, it develops a character of
its own, ebbing and flowing with a stream of interesting customers that
sport a certain brand of style. For example, I was at Mr. Beef on Orleans
one day, and in walked Big Jim Thompson, the former governor of Illinois.
Celebrities such as Jay Leno and actors Joe Mantegna and Joe Pantoliano
never seem to miss dropping by Mr. Beef on Orleans when they're in Chicago.

While rubbing elbows with the stars makes for a great story, you won't be
tantalized with celebrity sightings at Boston's Bar-B-Q over on West Chicago
Avenue or Al's on West Taylor. At those two places you'll find a more elite
band of eating brothers-police, firefighters, Streets and Sanitation crews,
and, well, just plain folks. Buona Beef in Berwyn and Johnnie's in Elmwood
Park are neighborhood fixtures, havens of dependability for the hungry. On
more than one occasion I have swung off the expressway and ended up at one
of those places for a quick beef fix.

The lunch rush operates like clockwork. From about 11:15 a.m. to 1 p.m.,
customers literally queue up on cue, and the game is on. The shout of
"Next!" from a counterperson pierces the air.

The anatomy of an Italian beef sandwich can be broken down into four basic
parts: the beef, the juice, the roll, the extras. Some beef stands roast
their own beef; some don't. The ones that do have a leg up, the way I see
it, because they control the flavor of the beef from start to finish. The
beef cut of choice for roasting is sirloin tip, and it gets massaged with a
blend of herbs and spices (which varies from place to place) before it's
roasted.

The juice from the roasting is then zipped up with a few more herbs and
garlic or garlic juice (sometimes both). It's the mixture of herbs and
spices-basil, oregano, garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes-that puts the
"Italian" in Italian beef. Think of it as a French dip sandwich with an
attitude.

How the beef roast is sliced after it's been cooked is critical to the
quality of the sandwich. The beef stand mantra is this: Slice the beef
against the grain. It must be thinly sliced, but not shaved. There should be
no gristle.

The bread of choice is a French roll that comes from a local bakery (Turano
Baking Co. and Gonnella Baking Co. are the two big suppliers). The roll is
crusty on the outside, softly textured inside (the inner texture helps to
sop up some of the juice).

The "extras" are either roasted sweet peppers (usually green bell pepper
slices) or giardiniera, an Italian vegetable relish þ made with fresh
carrots, cauliflower, celery, sport peppers, and jalapeños.

If you hunger for something more than mere beef, don't worry. All Italian
beef stands offer a combo, where Italian sausage is added to the sandwich.

Having assembled all of this, the counterman wraps the sandwich in deli
paper and slaps it on the counter. Now it's time for the "Chicago lean,"
which goes like this: Standing about a foot back from the counter, feet
spread apart about the same width as your shoulders, lean forward and bite
deeply. (If you're wearing a tie, flip it over your shoulder before the
first bite. Trust me on this.) If you ordered your beef sandwich "wet," you'
ll have juice dripping between your fingers (most stands will hand over a
stack of napkins as thick as a book).

Keep in mind that in certain parts of Chicago the word gravy implies a red
sauce. So even though the juice used on the sandwich may look like gravy to
you, it is not "gravy." Got that?

Now it's time to eat. Fine dining restaurants come and go, but Italian beef
stands will be around forever. The combined age of Chicago's five most
popular beef stands is well over 100 years. Consistency is the key, and all
of these places serve a fine-tasting, well-put-together Italian beef
sandwich.

Mr. Beef on Orleans / Stand-and-eat only unless the "Elegant Dining Room,"
(an array of gray picnic tables strung together) is open. Swift service.
Check out the hundreds of celebrity photos on the wall. When you hear a
counterman yell "Next!" step up and order.
666 North Orleans; Tel: 312-337-8500

Al's No. 1 Italian Beef / Stand-and-eat only (preferred standing spot is the
far right-hand corner). A neighborhood clientele mingles with students from
nearby schools and colleges. Snappy service. You need to be ready to order
when you hear your number called or you will feel the wrath.
1079 West Taylor; Tel: 312-226-4017

Johnnie's Beef / This stand also qualifies as a shack, albeit a lovable one
that has more die-hard fans than the Cubs. Mostly stand-and-eat only (in the
warm months there are picnic tables for al fresco eating). Swift service but
with an attitude.
7500 West North Avenue, Elmwood Park; Tel: 708-452-6000

Buona Beef / No place to stand here. Plenty of booths, though, so the
comfort level rises way above that at the rest of my picks. Service is swift
and no-nonsense. A big plus is the catering counter, where you can get beef
and all the fixings to go (great for a party or family affair).
6745 West Roosevelt Road, Berwyn; Tel: 708-749-2555

Boston Bar-B-Q / Not a whole lot to look at from the outside, but don't let
that put you off. Though there's room for more, six tables is the sum of the
seating. Also, this place needs to up the watts on the light bulbs. But a
lot of customers seem to like it the way it is.
2932 West Chicago Avenue; Tel: 773- 486-9536

-------------
Pat Bruno, long-standing restaurant critic for the Chicago Sun-Times, is a
standup guy who is as much at home at an Italian beef stand as he is in a
four-star restaurant..

February 2005

All information is current at publication. But changes do occur"
post #6 of 28

"Anny Middon" <AnnyMiddon@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> "tuppy" <tuppy@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Italian Beef, another almost meal in a sandwich is an exclusively
> > Chicago-land staple. Shaved round steak is gently cooked in a variety

of
> > herb and spice juice (whole pepper corns, red pepper, oregano, et al) to

> > very tender medium to mostly well done status. Split 6 inches of a fine
> > Italian bread (Gonnella bread is the preferred among fine I-beef
> > purveyors)
> > and LOAD it with dripping beef. For a wet sandwich, the entire bread

and
> > meat construction is dunked into the juices. The either (or both)
> > marinated
> > sweet peppers or giardianara (actually a relish of celery, olives,

carrot,
> > and green chilies in olive oil) are splayed across the top. This is

then
> > triple wrapped (to ensure that only you can splash it on yourself with
> > juices). If it isn't running down your arm, it isn't a dipped beef. They
> > also cut their own French fries and double fry them (European
> > style).....another wonderful heart attack in the making.
> >
> > Johnny's Beef....gosh, been a long time and I really don't remember it
> > being
> > that outstanding....guess I have to make a trip there again. My choice
> > since my college days that mid-later part of the last century is Al's

Best
> > Chicago Beef on Taylor Street near the University of Illinois on

Chicago's
> > near West Side (I used to drive over from Evanston, home of Northwestern
> > U,
> > no small trek.). They do more with their beef than just slab it on the
> > bread. Pieces of red chilies are evident in the beef and it is so

densely
> > packed so as to make for a very heavy, amazingly flavored sandwich.

They
> > do
> > have satellite franchise locations that aren't bad but not quite the

same.

> > Rand
> >

> Here in the 'burbs I mostly rely on Portillo's or Buono Beef, either of
> which does a decent Italian Beef. When I'm willing to drive a few miles

for
> a better one, I go to Carm's in Hillside -- they make the beef on site,

and
> the first time I walked in the scent was so heady I almost fainted.
>
> Portillo's mail orders their beef anywhere in the US. You can also get
> Chicago-style hot dog packages from them. www.portillos.com.
>
> Anny

Anny....Al's #1 has a decent franchise site just east of Rt. 53 on Lake
Street in....Addison I think. Carm's...another beef place I haven't
visited in a while. IMHO Buono Beef and Portillo's (they taste the same to
me) are a distant third place after Al's and Mr. Beef.

Rand
post #7 of 28

"SPOONS" <goldenspoonsNOSPAM@hotmail.com> said:

> A few months ago my husband went to Chicago on buisness and when he was
> there one of his co-workers took him to a restaurant called Johnny's Beef,
> it's a fast food place I think. Anyway he had a sandwich with shredded beef
> in it and he said it was really good, he's still talking about it. I've
> never been to Chicago so I have no idea what it tasted like or what was in
> it. I'd really like to surprise him and try to duplicate that sandwich for
> him. Has anyone been to that restaurant? What did you think of it? Does
> anyone have a recipe for that beef sandwich or what's in it?

My recipe is for round roast, so you get nice, large, lean slices. Ariane
has made it with chuck roast and has been pleased with the results. Your
best bet for shredded meat is with the chuck roast, I'd expect. I knew
someone who's had the real thing and mine, and preferred mine.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef crockpot
sandwiches

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed
1 1/2 cups water
7 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast in
large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir well. Pour
over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into a
storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large saucepan.
Pour strained (and defatted) broth over meat, and cook gently until heated
through.

Serve meat slices, piled high on crusty rolls, with heated broth for
dipping.

Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 276 Calories (kcal); 10g Total Fat; (35% calories from fat);
42g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 110mg Cholesterol; 642mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates
post #8 of 28

"Damsel" <damsel@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> "SPOONS" <goldenspoonsNOSPAM@hotmail.com> said:
>
> > A few months ago my husband went to Chicago on buisness and when he was
> > there one of his co-workers took him to a restaurant called Johnny's

Beef,
> > it's a fast food place I think. Anyway he had a sandwich with shredded

beef
> > in it and he said it was really good, he's still talking about it. I've
> > never been to Chicago so I have no idea what it tasted like or what was

in
> > it. I'd really like to surprise him and try to duplicate that sandwich

for
> > him. Has anyone been to that restaurant? What did you think of it?

Does
> > anyone have a recipe for that beef sandwich or what's in it?

> My recipe is for round roast, so you get nice, large, lean slices. Ariane
> has made it with chuck roast and has been pleased with the results. Your
> best bet for shredded meat is with the chuck roast, I'd expect. I knew
> someone who's had the real thing and mine, and preferred mine.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Italian Beef Sandwiches
>
> Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
> Categories : beef crockpot
> sandwiches

> 1 tablespoon olive oil
> 5 pounds round roast, trimmed
> 1 1/2 cups water
> 7 cloves garlic -- crushed
> 1 tablespoon salt
> 1 tablespoon dried oregano
> 1 tablespoon dried basil
> 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
>
> Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast in
> large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir well.

Pour
> over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.
>
> Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into a
> storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.
>
> Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large saucepan.
> Pour strained (and defatted) broth over meat, and cook gently until heated
> through.
>
> Serve meat slices, piled high on crusty rolls, with heated broth for
> dipping.
>
> Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per serving: 276 Calories (kcal); 10g Total Fat; (35% calories from fat);
> 42g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 110mg Cholesterol; 642mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
> 0 Other Carbohydrates

Something is wrong here besides the "crusty roll" and cheese on an Italian
beef sandwich.....not in Chicago you don't. We use crisp Italian bread. I
was looking at the specs and obviously the bread is not included in the carb
count.

Rand
post #9 of 28

"tuppy" <tuppy@mindspring.com> said:

> Something is wrong here besides the "crusty roll" and cheese on an Italian
> beef sandwich.....not in Chicago you don't. We use crisp Italian bread. I
> was looking at the specs and obviously the bread is not included in the carb
> count.

I'm not in Chicago.

The recipe is primarily for cooking and seasoning the beef. People can do
whatever they want with it from there. I'm not big on celebrating regional
rules if they aren't in tune with my personal tastes and/or available
ingredients. (You'll never find a sport pepper on any hot dog that I eat)

No, the bread isn't in the carb count because I generally make this as a
pile o' meat, rather than as a sandwich. Diabetes, low-carb .... you know.

Carol
post #10 of 28

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:52:36 GMT, tuppy wrote:

>My choice
>since my college days that mid-later part of the last century is Al's Best
>Chicago Beef on Taylor Street near the University of Illinois on Chicago's
>near West Side
>Rand

Dam!!! You started me drooling. I haven't been to Al's in over twenty
five years. I ate there last on the night I left Chicago.

Pan Ohco
post #11 of 28

"SPOONS" <goldenspoonsNOSPAM@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> A few months ago my husband went to Chicago on buisness and when he was
> there one of his co-workers took him to a restaurant called Johnny's Beef,
> it's a fast food place I think. Anyway he had a sandwich with shredded beef
> in it and he said it was really good, he's still talking about it. I've
> never been to Chicago so I have no idea what it tasted like or what was in
> it. I'd really like to surprise him and try to duplicate that sandwich for
> him. Has anyone been to that restaurant? What did you think of it? Does
> anyone have a recipe for that beef sandwich or what's in it?
> Thanks.

Nope. No recipe. Others have pointed out that you may find this on
the web.

I used to live about 4 blocks from this place if I can assume you are
referring to Johnny's on North Avenue in Elmwood Park.

Delicious Italian Beef sandwiches but a bit smallish compared to other
Chicago beef shops. Great Italian Ice. In fact, it was the ice that
we used to visit Johnny's for and not the beef.

As I recall, it's got a long counter and you basically walk in a door
on one side, place your order and pay, pick it up and exit the door on
the opposing side. There may be a stand-up counter facing out the
front windows where you can eat. There are also a bunch of patio
tables outside the place.

Thanks for the memories!

Jerry Sievers 305 854-3001 (home) WWW ECommerce Consultant
305 321-1144 (mobilehttp://www.JerrySievers.com/
post #12 of 28

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:35:25 GMT, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> It's one of those legendary Chicawgo "staples" to which I've never cottoned,
> another I don't care for is deep - dish pizza.

do you live there or just visit often?
post #13 of 28

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:35:25 GMT, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > It's one of those legendary Chicawgo "staples" to which I've never

cottoned,
> > another I don't care for is deep - dish pizza.

> do you live there or just visit often?

I, for one grew up in Chicago, left for 13 years and recently returned.

Rand
post #14 of 28

> "tuppy" <tuppy@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Anny....Al's #1 has a decent franchise site just east of Rt. 53 on Lake
> > Street in....Addison I think. Carm's...another beef place I haven't
> > visited in a while. IMHO Buono Beef and Portillo's (they taste the same
> > me) are a distant third place after Al's and Mr. Beef.
> >
> > Rand
> >

> Thanks, Rand. Next time I'm in that area (which will probably be pretty
> soon) I'll give them a try.
>
> I agree about Buono and Portillo's -- but they're convenient and (usually)
> serve beer, which is the beverage of choice to go with a good Italian

beef.
> At least in my house.
>
> Anny

Anny,

When you plan to visit Chicago, let me know. I am always looking for an
excuse to have another beef sandwich. Across the street from Al's on Taylor
Street near UIC is Mario's Italian Ice stand, another WONDERFUL
accompaniment to an Italian beef sandwich. Loaded with chunks of fresh
fruit (your choice), a Mario's Ice is a cold, wet, wonderfully flavorful
side dish.

Rand
post #15 of 28

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:35:25 GMT, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > It's one of those legendary Chicawgo "staples" to which I've never

cottoned,
> > another I don't care for is deep - dish pizza.

> do you live there or just visit often?

Live.

--
Best