the tunderbar paradox

TC

Guest
I went to the American Diabetes Association website and did their risk
test. This is how I answered the questions and the results:

Please select your age category.
45-64
Please select your height.
5' 11"
Please enter your weight in pounds.
185 lbs.
I am a woman who has had a baby weighing more than nine pounds at
birth.
False
I have a sister or brother with diabetes.
True
I have a parent with diabetes.
True
I am under 65 years of age and I get little or no exercise.
True

Scoring:
0 - 2 Very Low Risk
3 - 9 Low to Medium Risk
10+ High Risk

You have scored 12 points. You are at high risk for having type 2
diabetes. Only your health care provider can determine if you have
diabetes. At your next office visit, find out for sure. You can reduce
your risk for diabetes by:

Keeping your weight in control (or losing weight if you are overweight)

Staying active most days of the week
Eating low fat meals high in fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods

******

I am high risk. Off the charts!!!

Several family members including a brother and my father are diabetic.
It is in my genes!!!! ;-)

I eat meals low in fruits.
I eat a moderate amount of vegetables.
I eat very little, if any, grain sourced foods.
I eat meals that are very heavy in animal based fats - pork, butter,
tallow, chicken fat, bacon, sausage, etc.

I've kept my weight under control by eating more fats and less carbs.
The dangerous low-carb diet!!!! For over 5 years!!!!

I am doing everything wrong, yet, my fasting blood glucose tests came
back absolutely normal. Bang on the money. My endocrine system is fine.

What a paradox! I must be superhuman.

TC

x-no-archive: yes

TC wrote:
> I went to the American Diabetes Association website and did their risk
> test. This is how I answered the questions and the results:
>
> Please select your age category.
> 45-64
> Please select your height.
> 5' 11"
> Please enter your weight in pounds.
> 185 lbs.
> I am a woman who has had a baby weighing more than nine pounds at
> birth.
> False
> I have a sister or brother with diabetes.
> True
> I have a parent with diabetes.
> True
> I am under 65 years of age and I get little or no exercise.
> True
>
> Scoring:
> 0 - 2 Very Low Risk
> 3 - 9 Low to Medium Risk
> 10+ High Risk
>
> You have scored 12 points. You are at high risk for having type 2
> diabetes. Only your health care provider can determine if you have
> diabetes. At your next office visit, find out for sure. You can reduce
> your risk for diabetes by:
>
> Keeping your weight in control (or losing weight if you are overweight)
>
> Staying active most days of the week
> Eating low fat meals high in fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods
>
> ******
>
> I am high risk. Off the charts!!!
>
> Several family members including a brother and my father are diabetic.
> It is in my genes!!!! ;-)
>
> I eat meals low in fruits.
> I eat a moderate amount of vegetables.
> I eat very little, if any, grain sourced foods.
> I eat meals that are very heavy in animal based fats - pork, butter,
> tallow, chicken fat, bacon, sausage, etc.
>
> I've kept my weight under control by eating more fats and less carbs.
> The dangerous low-carb diet!!!! For over 5 years!!!!
>
> I am doing everything wrong, yet, my fasting blood glucose tests came
> back absolutely normal. Bang on the money. My endocrine system is fine.
>
> What a paradox! I must be superhuman.
>
> TC

You should know that the fasting blood glucose is a very unreliable
screening test for diagnosing diabetes. It misses most diabetics until
they are well advanced, many with complications.

Susan

Susan wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> TC wrote:
> > I went to the American Diabetes Association website and did their risk
> > test. This is how I answered the questions and the results:
> >
> > Please select your age category.
> > 45-64
> > Please select your height.
> > 5' 11"
> > Please enter your weight in pounds.
> > 185 lbs.
> > I am a woman who has had a baby weighing more than nine pounds at
> > birth.
> > False
> > I have a sister or brother with diabetes.
> > True
> > I have a parent with diabetes.
> > True
> > I am under 65 years of age and I get little or no exercise.
> > True
> >
> > Scoring:
> > 0 - 2 Very Low Risk
> > 3 - 9 Low to Medium Risk
> > 10+ High Risk
> >
> > You have scored 12 points. You are at high risk for having type 2
> > diabetes. Only your health care provider can determine if you have
> > diabetes. At your next office visit, find out for sure. You can reduce
> > your risk for diabetes by:
> >
> > Keeping your weight in control (or losing weight if you are overweight)
> >
> > Staying active most days of the week
> > Eating low fat meals high in fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods
> >
> > ******
> >
> > I am high risk. Off the charts!!!
> >
> > Several family members including a brother and my father are diabetic.
> > It is in my genes!!!! ;-)
> >
> > I eat meals low in fruits.
> > I eat a moderate amount of vegetables.
> > I eat very little, if any, grain sourced foods.
> > I eat meals that are very heavy in animal based fats - pork, butter,
> > tallow, chicken fat, bacon, sausage, etc.
> >
> > I've kept my weight under control by eating more fats and less carbs.
> > The dangerous low-carb diet!!!! For over 5 years!!!!
> >
> > I am doing everything wrong, yet, my fasting blood glucose tests came
> > back absolutely normal. Bang on the money. My endocrine system is fine.
> >
> > What a paradox! I must be superhuman.
> >
> > TC
> >

> You should know that the fasting blood glucose is a very unreliable
> screening test for diagnosing diabetes. It misses most diabetics until
> they are well advanced, many with complications.
>
> Susan

It is not the definitive test for diabetes but it is usually the first
test done to see if there is anything off. It is a good marker test.
Those with metabolic syndrome, or pre-diabetes will show an abnormality
in their fasting blood glucose test to some degree.

And mine came back absolutely normal.

TC

x-no-archive: yes

TC wrote:

> It is not the definitive test for diabetes but it is usually the first
> test done to see if there is anything off. It is a good marker test.

No, it is not. It misses 70% of female diabetics, and not that many
less men.

> Those with metabolic syndrome, or pre-diabetes will show an abnormality
> in their fasting blood glucose test to some degree.

Nope, guess again. Typically not until their disease is well advanced.

Susan

x-no-archive: yes

TC wrote:

> And mine came back absolutely normal.
>
> TC

P.S. So did mine. At at time I developed severe peripheral
neuropathies. Still does, years later, as an advanced diabetic. I've
never had a diabetic FBG.

Susan

"TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What a paradox! I must be superhuman.

5'11" and 185? You're just overweight. Get off your ass and do some
exercise or eat smarter. You may be less fat then you used to be but
you're still hauling around too much lard. Try some more complex carbs
and less fat and put the leaf blower away and grab the rack or puch the
lawn mower.

-DF

Doug Freese wrote:
> "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What a paradox! I must be superhuman.

> 5'11" and 185? You're just overweight.

Not when it is all muscle. Well, mostly all muscle. I did some serious
heavy labour type work for about ten years and built up pretty good
lean body mass. I could probably stand to lose 4 or 5 lbs but I think I
would look a tad gaunt at that weight.

TC

x-no-archive: yes

TC wrote:

> Not when it is all muscle. Well, mostly all muscle. I did some serious
> heavy labour type work for about ten years and built up pretty good
> lean body mass. I could probably stand to lose 4 or 5 lbs but I think I
> would look a tad gaunt at that weight.

My husband, at just barely 6' and very muscular, looks awfully thin and
a tad underweight any time he's been below 185.

Susan

On 17 Jan 2006 11:21:11 -0800, "TC" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I went to the American Diabetes Association website and did their risk
>test. This is how I answered the questions and the results:
>
>Please select your age category.
>45-64
>Please select your height.
>5' 11"
>Please enter your weight in pounds.
>185 lbs.
>I am a woman who has had a baby weighing more than nine pounds at
>birth.
>False
>I have a sister or brother with diabetes.
>True
>I have a parent with diabetes.
>True
>I am under 65 years of age and I get little or no exercise.
>True
>
>Scoring:
>0 - 2 Very Low Risk
>3 - 9 Low to Medium Risk
>10+ High Risk
>
>You have scored 12 points. You are at high risk for having type 2
>diabetes. Only your health care provider can determine if you have
>diabetes. At your next office visit, find out for sure. You can reduce
>your risk for diabetes by:
>
>Keeping your weight in control (or losing weight if you are overweight)
>
>Staying active most days of the week
>Eating low fat meals high in fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods
>
>******
>
>I am high risk. Off the charts!!!
>
>Several family members including a brother and my father are diabetic.
>It is in my genes!!!! ;-)
>
>I eat meals low in fruits.
>I eat a moderate amount of vegetables.
>I eat very little, if any, grain sourced foods.
>I eat meals that are very heavy in animal based fats - pork, butter,
>tallow, chicken fat, bacon, sausage, etc.
>
>I've kept my weight under control by eating more fats and less carbs.
>The dangerous low-carb diet!!!! For over 5 years!!!!
>
>I am doing everything wrong, yet, my fasting blood glucose tests came
>back absolutely normal. Bang on the money. My endocrine system is fine.
>
>What a paradox! I must be superhuman.
>
>TC

And you still have diabetes. Someone without diabetes can eat all the
fruit and whole grains they want and not have it raise their fasting
blood glucose.

"Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> TC wrote:
>
>> Not when it is all muscle. Well, mostly all muscle. I did some
>> serious
>> heavy labour type work for about ten years and built up pretty good
>> lean body mass. I could probably stand to lose 4 or 5 lbs but I think
>> would look a tad gaunt at that weight.

> My husband, at just barely 6' and very muscular, looks awfully thin
> and a tad underweight any time he's been below 185.

But Susan this is a paradox. We are so used to seeing people with such
bulk, that when we see thin people they look underweight. I took up
running 20 years and have been 6'1" and 170-175. I can eat the ass out
of dead skunk and still maintain my weight. I still get non-exercising
people commenting on how thin I look. Of course they can't see their
belt buckle unless standing in front of a mirror. When I toe the line at
a running race I look normal.

-DF