Why does Shimano make double brifters?

damyth

Guest
I am wondering why Shimano felt the need to make a double brifter for
105 and up. It used to be the case that Shimano's brifters were both
triple and double compatible. For a double you just used two out of
the three detents. But that's changed within the last few years.

Anyone know what's the technical (i.e. not marketing) reason for this?

damyth wrote:
> I am wondering why Shimano felt the need to make a double brifter for
> 105 and up. It used to be the case that Shimano's brifters were both
> triple and double compatible. For a double you just used two out of
> the three detents. But that's changed within the last few years.
>
> Anyone know what's the technical (i.e. not marketing) reason for this?

It used to be the case that you either had a double or a triple. (6,7 &8
speed)
With 9 speed we got 2/3 shifters in all groups but DA

With 10 speed 6600 and DA are either double or triple, 105 and R700 is 2/3

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

M-gineering wrote:
> damyth wrote:
> > I am wondering why Shimano felt the need to make a double brifter for
> > 105 and up. It used to be the case that Shimano's brifters were both
> > triple and double compatible. For a double you just used two out of
> > the three detents. But that's changed within the last few years.
> >
> > Anyone know what's the technical (i.e. not marketing) reason for this?
> >

> It used to be the case that you either had a double or a triple. (6,7 &8
> speed)
> With 9 speed we got 2/3 shifters in all groups but DA
>
> With 10 speed 6600 and DA are either double or triple, 105 and R700 is 2/3

Umm, I think you may have mis-understood my original question. Once
triple road cranks came out, why does Shimano make "double-specific"
brifters at all? They used to make (105, Ultegra) brifters that could
work on doubles _or_ triples (aside from DA). To put it another way,
why would there ever be a reason to buy a double brifter if a triple
brifters shift a double as well as a triple, assuming the brifters are
the same price?

Why are the technical reasons for this change? You go to Shimano
European site for example, there was only one SKU for "older" 105
brifters (compatible for doubles and triples). In the "new" 2006
incarnation of 105, there are "double-specific" brifter and a
"triple-specific" brifters.

> --
> ---
> Marten Gerritsen
>
> INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
> www.m-gineering.nl

On 22 Jan 2006 22:00:49 -0800, "damyth"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>To put it another way,
> why would there ever be a
> reason to buy a double brifter if a triple
> brifters shift a double as well as a triple,
> assuming the brifters are
> the same price?

The reason for me would be that my bikes have double cranks.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

damyth wrote:
> I am wondering why Shimano felt the need to make a double brifter for
> 105 and up. It used to be the case that Shimano's brifters were both
> triple and double compatible. For a double you just used two out of
> the three detents. But that's changed within the last few years.
>
> Anyone know what's the technical (i.e. not marketing) reason for this?

I don't know either but when I get a shimano group, double OR triple, I
get the triple lever. It works just fine with doubles ya know(thank's
Sheldon).

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I am wondering why Shimano felt the need to make a double brifter for
>105 and up. It used to be the case that Shimano's brifters were both
>triple and double compatible. For a double you just used two out of
>the three detents. But that's changed within the last few years.
>
>Anyone know what's the technical (i.e. not marketing) reason for this?

The first road STI levers were Dura-Ace double. It was only later that Shimano
came out with a triple STI levers.
-------------
Alex

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
---snip---

"...but when I get a shimano group..."

---/snip---

Wha? Peter, Say it ain't so!

SYJ

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >

> >I am wondering why Shimano felt the need to make a double brifter for
> >105 and up. It used to be the case that Shimano's brifters were both
> >triple and double compatible. For a double you just used two out of
> >the three detents. But that's changed within the last few years.
> >
> >Anyone know what's the technical (i.e. not marketing) reason for this?

> The first road STI levers were Dura-Ace double. It was only later that Shimano
> came out with a triple STI levers.
> Alex

The OPs point, methinks, is that for 10s, shimano makes for double only
and for triple and double left shifters, for DA, ultegra and 105. Not
sure why either, since the triple shifter works for a double.