or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colson Tandem Bicycle

post #1 of 5
Hello,

Last week, I hit a garage sale early and bought an old tandem bicycle.
It was pretty well complete in terms of fenders and chain guards, so I
grabbed it for $350.

I have identified the bicycle as a "Colson" and date it around 1938 to
1940, somewhere in there, anyway. The stoker has a steering tube with
a timing chain to the headset. This, accorging to the owner, was to
allow either person to steer and I agree that is the effect. I am
left asking: Is this really a good idea?

Here's a picture of *a* restored Colson. Mine is a *long* project
away from that shape.

http://www.copakeauction.com/bicycle...pages/022.html

Anyone have any thoughts on how to lock the fromt bars without
welding? I want to keep it all stock as far as I can; however, I just
don't think that both people steering will work!!!

Jones
post #2 of 5

Re: Colson Tandem Bicycle

On 22 Jul 2005 19:38:10 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech "peter"
<prathman@comcast.net> wrote:

>The old Wheelsmith shop had a tandem with this arrangement in their
>window for some time. I'd guess that the dual steering arrangement
>wasn't too popular in general since it's not found on any current
>designs, but why not try it for a few rides and see how it goes?
>
>Rather than locking the rear bars you could just remove the chain and
>have them free to move. Any stoker who can ride a single bike
>shouldn't have any trouble getting used to holding handlebars that can
>turn even if they no longer control the steering.

Hello and thank you for the reply.

The bike is odd... the "stoker" is designed for the taller position.
In the picture, note the traditional "girls" frame in front.
(Logically, men should ride sidesaddle, not?) Thus, it's designed to
be steered from the rear. My stoker is handicapped and most
definitely *would* have an issue with bars that moved. She cannot
ride by herself; this is why we tandem.

Actually, I'm going to restore it as a curiosity; however, we'd also
like to ride it occasionally. Locking the rear bars would be easy.
I'd like to lock the front bars... but not the fork, obviously. No
method comes to mind, though.

Jones
post #3 of 5

Re: Colson Tandem Bicycle

now, take it apart for fresh grease and bearings before riding
now, apply( stop tubes and pour in then drain-save the linseed )
linseed to inside tubes after allowing to sit in hot sun with tubes
open
then worry about removing the rust professionally.
post #4 of 5

Re: Colson Tandem Bicycle

On 23 Jul 2005 08:21:46 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech datakoll@yahoo.com
wrote:

>now, take it apart for fresh grease and bearings before riding
>now, apply( stop tubes and pour in then drain-save the linseed )
>linseed to inside tubes after allowing to sit in hot sun with tubes
>open
>then worry about removing the rust professionally.

It looks like the captain wanted to go to the left of a fire hydrant
and the stoker was planning to go right. The damage isn't severe;
however, it will have to go into a frame shop. The front rim isn't
salvagable, I fear.

Jones
post #5 of 5

Re: Colson Tandem Bicycle

On 23 Jul 2005 09:30:46 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech "peter"
<prathman@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'd still suggest trying the bike in its normal configuration. My
>experience with stokers who could not ride bikes has generally been
>that they are good at not influencing the bike's balance (as opposed to
>many cyclists who lean in anticipation of turns when first riding as a
>stoker). As long as your friend doesn't actively oppose your steering
>efforts you should be able to easily control the bike. Could she hold
>the front handlebars in a position closer to the stem than usual? That
>would reduce the effects of any force she applies to the bars and
>minimize the motion she would feel when you steer around a turn.

Hello,

You are most definitely correct in that a non-riding stoker (who
trusts the captain) is the best kind! Keeping the original
configuration is definitely a priority. I'm going to start
disassembly next week, so I'll know more after that.

Thanks for the input!

Jones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home