Meralgia paraesthetica

Tim Downie

Guest
Intermittantly over the years I have suffered episodes of neuralgic pain that I describe as
"femoralgica". A bit like sciatica but confined to the *front* and outside of the thigh and
aggravated by thigh extention. A bit of research would suggest that it's probably Meralgia
paraesthetica, a condition more commonly associated with obesity and/or pregnancy

Have a shufti at http://www.metspinal.com/meralgia.html for a description.

Usually I get it associated with back pain but since Tuesday's club 5K in *very* windy conditions
I've got it without any back problems. One of the causes listed is a tight fascia lata so I guess a
few stretches there wouldn't go amiss. (This is where my very slack approach to stretching is no
doubt coming back to haunt me).

Has anyone else suffered with this, and if so, other than stretches, any suggestions for treatment?
It's hardly earth shattering but it *does* stop me running which is more painful than the pain (if
you know what I mean).

Tim

--
It's only Usenet. Nobody dies.

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> it's probably Meralgia paraesthetica, a condition more commonly associated with obesity and/or
> pregnancy

Tim, having a 'surprise' baby at your time in life is more common than you may think. Try and put a
positive spin on events. It may be a boy, hence the Downie bloodline will continue, rather than
peter out as your girls surrender all to some oafish 'McDonald' or 'McTavish'. You now have a reason
to adopt a Beckham hairstyle, and to learn the quaint language of football on the terraces at Ayr
United. You *can* keep all your porno magazines - on the basis that your son will need to read them
when he is 'of age'. And finally, you have someone to whom you can pass on your love of our
wonderful sport. Ah, jogging together along the beach at sunset. What could be nicer!

Roger.

I have suffered from this on and off for the past couple of years and am also neither overweight or
pregnant. In my case the presentation of symptoms was mostly symmetrical and moved from the outside
to the anteriorw-. I had an MRI of my lumbar spin carried out to check for any abnormailities of the
cord but this revealed a normal cord and only very slight degeneration of the lumbar spine with a
small non-symptomatic anullar bulge between L4-L5.

Since then I have gotten relief from symptoms by correcting my posture when standing and sitting
through the strengthening of my low back.

MP is a ***** isn't it.

Roger Hunter wrote:
> "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> it's probably Meralgia paraesthetica, a condition more commonly associated with obesity and/or
>> pregnancy
>
> Tim, having a 'surprise' baby at your time in life is more common than you may think.

It would certainly explain why I'm finding it so hard to lose weight just now.

> Try and put a positive spin on events. It may be a boy, hence the Downie bloodline will continue,
> rather than peter out as your girls surrender all to some oafish 'McDonald' or 'McTavish'.

Or, heaven forbid, a 'Hunter'.

> You now have a reason to adopt a Beckham hairstyle, and to learn the quaint language of football
> on the terraces at Ayr United.

But I *hate* football. Having two girls was one of the best things I ever
did. No getting dragged off on Saturday mornings to shout at my kids from the touchline etc.

> You *can* keep all your porno magazines - on the basis that your son will need to read them when
> he is 'of age'.

Long gone alas.

> And finally, you have someone to whom you can pass on your love of our wonderful sport. Ah,
> jogging together along the beach at sunset. What could be nicer!

Given that I hated running as a kid, I suspect the chances of any male offspring of mine enjoying it
would be slim.

I'll settle for getting my wife running.

Tim
--
It's only Usenet. Nobody dies.

Meralgia Paraesthetica? Wow, look how many syllables it takes........... to bore me.

"Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>You *can* keep all your porno magazines - on the basis that your son will need to read them when he
>is 'of age'.

He'll find them well before he needs 'em :))