Proofing Baking Powder

Since I use it so seldom, I have the better part of a can of baking
powder in the fridge that reached its expiration date a while ago.

Is there a way of proofing it the way you proof yeast by adding it to
warm water? Maybe adding a little to an acid, such as vinegar or lemon
juice to see if it bubbles?

I like to experiment.

Thanks

[email protected] wrote:
> Since I use it so seldom, I have the better part of a can of baking
> powder in the fridge that reached its expiration date a while ago.
>
> Is there a way of proofing it the way you proof yeast by adding it to
> warm water? Maybe adding a little to an acid, such as vinegar or lemon
> juice to see if it bubbles?
>
> I like to experiment.

You don't even need acid, just warm-hot tap water. Put a teaspoon of
powder in about a quarter cup of water (no need to measure; I'm just
giving approximates). It should bubble up.

I've never heard of storing baking powder in the fridge. Be sure you're
not mixing up baking powder with baking soda. If you've been using
baking soda to absorb odors in the refrigerator, throw it out and buy
new for baking.

--Lia

[email protected] wrote:
> Since I use it so seldom, I have the better part of a can of baking
> powder in the fridge that reached its expiration date a while ago.
>
> Is there a way of proofing it the way you proof yeast by adding it to
> warm water? Maybe adding a little to an acid, such as vinegar or lemon
> juice to see if it bubbles?
>
> I like to experiment.

You don't even need acid, just warm-hot tap water. Put a teaspoon of
powder in about a quarter cup of water (no need to measure; I'm just
giving approximates). It should bubble up.

I've never heard of storing baking powder in the fridge. Be sure you're
not mixing up baking powder with baking soda. If you've been using
baking soda to absorb odors in the refrigerator, throw it out and buy
new for baking.

--Lia

(Chuckle)
I know the difference between baking powder and soda. HONEST!

My mother didn't store baking powder in the fridge, either. Since I
knew I wouldn't use it often when I bought it, I thought it would last
longer in the refrigerator. (After all, yeast is sold out of the
refrigerated case of the grocery store).

Now, if you know of an old fashioned recipe for cornbread I can make in
an old cast-iron frying pan I would be most grateful. (Dairy's okay,
sugar and salt should be avoided),

Thanks : )

[email protected] wrote:

> Now, if you know of an old fashioned recipe for cornbread I can make in
> an old cast-iron frying pan I would be most grateful. (Dairy's okay,
> sugar and salt should be avoided),

This one has both sugar and salt, as do most cornbread recipes, I would
think. But it is not the sweet, cake-like type. It's firm and not
crumbly, which makes it a good choice to accompany beans and stews.
-aem

Cornbread

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt [room temp]
2 large eggs [room temp]

Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add
yogurt, mix eggs slightly and add them, mix just until blended.
Pour into a buttered 8 or 9-inch cast iron frying pan. Bake 20 to 25
minutes, until top springs back when gently pressed in the
center.

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I've never heard of storing baking powder in the fridge. Be sure you're
> not mixing up baking powder with baking soda. If you've been using
> baking soda to absorb odors in the refrigerator, throw it out and buy
> new for baking.

I keep mine in the freezer in a canning jar with the lid down tight.
Never gets stinky and only "wore out" once...took about 2 years. Now I
get a new can yearly, to quote a children's book I've been reading a
lot, "no matter what".
blacksalt
p.s., the book is "Tootle"

[email protected] wrote:
(After all, yeast is sold out of the
> refrigerated case of the grocery store).

Is it? I've never seen it there. I've always bought yeast next to the
flour in the baking needs aisle.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in news:dq2dnVrH-7N89kbeRVn-
[email protected]:

> [email protected] wrote:
> (After all, yeast is sold out of the
>> refrigerated case of the grocery store).

> Is it? I've never seen it there. I've always bought yeast next to the
> flour in the baking needs aisle.

Fresh yeast is refrigerated. Although I've never seen it in my local
supermarket, I believe some supermarkets somewhere carry it <g>. There is a
franchise here called Bakers Delight which sells mainly breads, some sweet
breads, scones (www.bakersdelight.com.au). There's one of these in the
shopping centre in Penrith, and I can buy fresh yeast from there. This is
something I've just discovered, and have just tried using fresh yeast.
Trouble is, the smallest amount I can buy is more than I'll use in a week
or so. I've read conflicting advice on freezing fresh yeast, so have to
search out more info.
--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

On 27 Jan 2006 20:18:53 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>(Chuckle)
>I know the difference between baking powder and soda. HONEST!
>
>My mother didn't store baking powder in the fridge, either. Since I
>knew I wouldn't use it often when I bought it, I thought it would last
>longer in the refrigerator. (After all, yeast is sold out of the
>refrigerated case of the grocery store).
>
>Now, if you know of an old fashioned recipe for cornbread I can make in
>an old cast-iron frying pan I would be most grateful. (Dairy's okay,
>sugar and salt should be avoided),
>
>Thanks : )

This is from a Betty Crocker cookbook.

2 cups cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk.

I use a cast iron skillet, #5 for 1/2 of the recipe. The recipe calls
for a 9"square.

Preheat the oven to 450°F. I put some bacon fat in the pan and
preheat the pan.

Mix the ingredients, pour the melted fat into the mixture and then
pour into the pan.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the bread is coming away from the
edge.
As far as I know, the salt is strictly for flavor so omit or reduce
the amount.
--
Susan N.

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Since I use it so seldom, I have the better part of a can of baking
>> powder in the fridge that reached its expiration date a while ago.
>>
>> Is there a way of proofing it the way you proof yeast by adding it to
>> warm water? Maybe adding a little to an acid, such as vinegar or lemon
>> juice to see if it bubbles?
>>
>> I like to experiment.

> You don't even need acid, just warm-hot tap water. Put a teaspoon of
> powder in about a quarter cup of water (no need to measure; I'm just
> giving approximates). It should bubble up.
>

> I've never heard of storing baking powder in the fridge. Be sure you're
> not mixing up baking powder with baking soda. If you've been using baking
> soda to absorb odors in the refrigerator, throw it out and buy new for
> baking.
>

> --Lia

I notice baking powder in the large box and large heavy plastic sack
containers are always a coarser grind. I still buy the small boxes for
baking and in the frig, also small boxes for use as an under-arm deodorant
(which I've used since 1985; I followed the suggestion of a Hawaiian years
ago and have been using it since. Beats the heck out of deodorant; but the
coarse kind is a killer to tender underarms.
Dee Dee

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> (After all, yeast is sold out of the
> > refrigerated case of the grocery store).

> Is it? I've never seen it there. I've always bought yeast next to the
> flour in the baking needs aisle.
>

> --Lia

I only use it once in awhile, so I buy it from the cold case. It's sold
in small packets and cakes. (Fleishman's or Red Star dry active
yeast).

I don't remember seeing it in the baking needs aisle, but I never went
searching for it there. If it's sold in large packages, most of would
go to waste for me.

In article <[email protected]>, Dee Randall
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I notice baking powder in the large box and large heavy plastic sack
> containers are always a coarser grind. I still buy the small boxes for
> baking and in the frig, also small boxes for use as an under-arm deodorant
> (which I've used since 1985; I followed the suggestion of a Hawaiian years
> ago and have been using it since. Beats the heck out of deodorant; but the
> coarse kind is a killer to tender underarms.
> Dee Dee

Is it not difficult to keep your arms down? Especially in warm weather?