Heart Rate Monitor

Vsrst

Guest
Hi, I've been lightly jogging off-and-on for years, but for a year now I've started "running". Its
been hard. I'm in my mid 50's and do close to 30 miles a week only. I recently got a heart rate
monitor to help keep my interest going. Once I settled on what I believed could reasonably be my Max
HR, I used the monitor to control my long run pace. Ten miles is a long run for me. Before the
monitor I think I was trying to run it to fast. This time it was still very hard but I finished
feeling a little better. Not so battered. I've been using the monitor also to control shorter but
quicker runs. Its been fun. Anyway, although it seems I've been training just to train, I eventually
want to try a 5K and 10K. I'd like to use the monitor during the race to guide my pace, from
beginning to end. Have any of you owners done this? How did you go about it? Thanks. Vern

"VSRST" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I've been lightly jogging off-and-on for years, but for a year now I've started "running". Its
> been hard. I'm in my mid 50's and do close to 30 miles a week only. I recently got a heart rate
> monitor to help keep my interest going. Once I settled on what I believed could reasonably be my
Max
> HR, I used the monitor to control my long run pace. Ten miles is a long
run
> for me. Before the monitor I think I was trying to run it to fast. This time it was still very
> hard but I finished feeling a little better. Not so battered. I've been using the monitor also to
> control shorter but quicker runs. Its been fun. Anyway, although it seems I've been training just
> to train, I eventually want to try a 5K and 10K. I'd like to use the monitor during the race to
> guide my pace, from beginning to end. Have any of you owners done this? How did you go about it?
> Thanks. Vern

I have tried it and it's very useful. Once you have used a monitor several times, you get to know
pretty well what heart rate you can sustain for a given distance. It helps you to realise when you
are really whacked and when you are just kidding yourself.

Yeah I have had the same results - after struggling to do 30 mins as i was pushing myself too hard
very quickly worked up to 60min runs.

Did my first 12km run last night in around 90mins so damn happy with that especially as it was on a
fairly hilly forest track

You might like to check out www.polarpersonaltrainer.com as that works out a good exercise program
for use with heart rate monitors.