Polar heart rate monitor

Jon_H

Guest
Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the following

total time 17 min 32 s
distance 5 miles
AVG heart rate 175bpm
Max heart rate 219bpm

Avg speed 17.2 mph
Max speed 27.1 mph
Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
Cadence Avg 74 rpm
Cadence max 109 rpm

84 inch fixed on the flat

I am 36 year old 12 stone male and 5 foot 11 inches tall.

should I be dead with a MAx hr of 219. I thought a rough guide was 220 -
age.

cheers
Jon_H

Jon_H wrote:

> Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the following
>
> total time 17 min 32 s
> distance 5 miles
> AVG heart rate 175bpm
> Max heart rate 219bpm
>
> Avg speed 17.2 mph
> Max speed 27.1 mph
> Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
> Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
> Cadence Avg 74 rpm
> Cadence max 109 rpm
>
> 84 inch fixed on the flat
>
> I am 36 year old 12 stone male and 5 foot 11 inches tall.
>
> should I be dead with a MAx hr of 219. I thought a rough guide was
> 220 - age.

Do be careful, Bond.

Sounds very high to me, are you quite fit or a complete beginner? I
suppose I am about average fitness and my average HR is usually around
the 150-160 bpm with a max of up to 180 bpm.

Average speed is around 28 - 30 km/h at greater distances than 5 miles.

--
Mike

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:49:11 GMT, "Jon_H" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the following
>
>total time 17 min 32 s
>distance 5 miles
>AVG heart rate 175bpm
>Max heart rate 219bpm
>
>Avg speed 17.2 mph
>Max speed 27.1 mph
>Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
>Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
>Cadence Avg 74 rpm
>Cadence max 109 rpm

Is the cycle computer wireless? are you sure the 2 aren't intefering?
My HRM would set off my friends cycle computer at a nice steady 5mph.

Jim.

"Jim Ley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:49:11 GMT, "Jon_H" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the following
> >
> >total time 17 min 32 s
> >distance 5 miles
> >AVG heart rate 175bpm
> >Max heart rate 219bpm
> >
> >Avg speed 17.2 mph
> >Max speed 27.1 mph
> >Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
> >Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
> >Cadence Avg 74 rpm
> >Cadence max 109 rpm

> Is the cycle computer wireless? are you sure the 2 aren't intefering?
> My HRM would set off my friends cycle computer at a nice steady 5mph.
>
> Jim.

It is wireless and I have been known to sustain about 160-180 for around an
hour. Not a complete beginner I have been cycling the track for about a year
and a good few miles on the road.
It peaked at about 219 but only for about 250 metres then took about 2 -3
mins to drop back to about 120.

cheers
Jon_H

That doesn't sound too bad.
I'm 42 and peak at about 210, dropping a minute later to 180.
My heartbeat has always been on the fast side - around 70bpm or so.
I'm about 65kg, above averagely fit, though no athlete.
Peter

Jim Ley wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:49:11 GMT, "Jon_H" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the
> > following
> >
> > total time 17 min 32 s
> > distance 5 miles
> > AVG heart rate 175bpm
> > Max heart rate 219bpm
> >
> > Avg speed 17.2 mph
> > Max speed 27.1 mph
> > Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
> > Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
> > Cadence Avg 74 rpm
> > Cadence max 109 rpm

> Is the cycle computer wireless? are you sure the 2 aren't intefering?
> My HRM would set off my friends cycle computer at a nice steady 5mph.

What two?
The CS200 is also supposed to prevent that sort of crosstslk.

--
Mike

Jon_H wrote:
> Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the following
>
> total time 17 min 32 s
> distance 5 miles
> AVG heart rate 175bpm
> Max heart rate 219bpm
>
> Avg speed 17.2 mph
> Max speed 27.1 mph
> Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
> Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
> Cadence Avg 74 rpm
> Cadence max 109 rpm
>
> 84 inch fixed on the flat
>
> I am 36 year old 12 stone male and 5 foot 11 inches tall.
>
> should I be dead with a MAx hr of 219. I thought a rough guide was 220 -
> age.
>
> cheers
> Jon_H

The 219 max sounds a bit suspicious, but otherwise things don't seem
far out of line. I have an older S725x which has the coded belt
transmitter, and it freaks near some electrical interferences, giving
similar high maximums.

220-age is pretty much spot on for the general population, but it's
useless on an individual basis, particularly so for athletes. It
happens to be quite close for me personally, but not so for a lot of my
friends, who vary either way.

Last year in the Berlin Marathon on skates, I had an average of 179bpm,
a max of 201 (obv. false spike when looking at the graph in the Polar
software), a real max of 191. Average speed was 20.2mph, my time was
1:17:48. The winner did it in 1:01:22.

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon_H wrote:
> > Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the following
> >
> > total time 17 min 32 s
> > distance 5 miles
> > AVG heart rate 175bpm
> > Max heart rate 219bpm
> >
> > Avg speed 17.2 mph
> > Max speed 27.1 mph
> > Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
> > Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
> > Cadence Avg 74 rpm
> > Cadence max 109 rpm
> >
> > 84 inch fixed on the flat
> >
> > I am 36 year old 12 stone male and 5 foot 11 inches tall.
> >
> > should I be dead with a MAx hr of 219. I thought a rough guide was 220 -
> > age.
> >
> > cheers
> > Jon_H

> The 219 max sounds a bit suspicious, but otherwise things don't seem
> far out of line. I have an older S725x which has the coded belt
> transmitter, and it freaks near some electrical interferences, giving
> similar high maximums.
>
> 220-age is pretty much spot on for the general population, but it's
> useless on an individual basis, particularly so for athletes. It
> happens to be quite close for me personally, but not so for a lot of my
> friends, who vary either way.
>
> Last year in the Berlin Marathon on skates, I had an average of 179bpm,
> a max of 201 (obv. false spike when looking at the graph in the Polar
> software), a real max of 191. Average speed was 20.2mph, my time was
> 1:17:48. The winner did it in 1:01:22.

I think I will try a static test in the garage on the turbo trainer and see
what the outcome is, I haven't got round to testing the ownzone function yet
so will probably give it a go this week.

cheers
Jon_H

In article <[email protected]>, Jon_H
<[email protected]> writes
>Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the following
>
>total time 17 min 32 s
>distance 5 miles
>AVG heart rate 175bpm
>Max heart rate 219bpm
>
>Avg speed 17.2 mph
>Max speed 27.1 mph
>Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
>Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
>Cadence Avg 74 rpm
>Cadence max 109 rpm
>
>84 inch fixed on the flat
>
>I am 36 year old 12 stone male and 5 foot 11 inches tall.
>
>should I be dead with a MAx hr of 219. I thought a rough guide was 220 -
>age.
>
>cheers
>Jon_H

I just passed 60 last month. I have (and have had for some years), a
condition known as an ectopic heartbeat, which basically means that
sometimes my heart beats in between the normal cycle. Because HRM's use
a relatively short time to measure beats per minute, one or a couple of
the "extra" beats can lead to alarmingly high max rates displayed on the
HRM. I have learned to ignore the max display.

--
Peter Grange

> I just passed 60 last month. I have (and have had for some years), a
> condition known as an ectopic heartbeat, which basically means that
> sometimes my heart beats in between the normal cycle. Because HRM's use
> a relatively short time to measure beats per minute, one or a couple of
> the "extra" beats can lead to alarmingly high max rates displayed on the
> HRM. I have learned to ignore the max display.

This often happens when people are doing lots of exercise, so ignoring the
max display is probably a good idea for all of us.

"Peter Grange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Jon_H
> <[email protected]> writes
>>Took my shiny new CS200cad out for a spin today and got the following
>>
>>total time 17 min 32 s
>>distance 5 miles
>>AVG heart rate 175bpm
>>Max heart rate 219bpm
>>
>>Avg speed 17.2 mph
>>Max speed 27.1 mph
>>Pace avg 3 min 29 sec per mile
>>Pace max 2 min 13 sec per mile
>>Cadence Avg 74 rpm
>>Cadence max 109 rpm
>>
>>84 inch fixed on the flat
>>
>>I am 36 year old 12 stone male and 5 foot 11 inches tall.
>>
>>should I be dead with a MAx hr of 219. I thought a rough guide was 220 -
>>age.
>>
>>cheers
>>Jon_H

> I just passed 60 last month. I have (and have had for some years), a
> condition known as an ectopic heartbeat, which basically means that
> sometimes my heart beats in between the normal cycle. Because HRM's use
> a relatively short time to measure beats per minute, one or a couple of
> the "extra" beats can lead to alarmingly high max rates displayed on the
> HRM. I have learned to ignore the max display.

At that age, a couple of years ago, I made the stupid mistake of wearing my
HRM on a ride. The reading was alarming when going up a moderate hill which
never normally bothered me. I stopped wearing it after that.
Graham

Jon_H wrote:

> should I be dead with a MAx hr of 219. I thought a rough guide was 220 -
> age.

The 220 - age formula is one of those things that seems to be accepted
by everybody without question. If you dig into the origins of it
(Haskell and Fox, I believe) you will find it has almost no scientific
basis.

--
Dave...

Mark Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
>> I just passed 60 last month. I have (and have had for some years), a
>> condition known as an ectopic heartbeat, which basically means that
>> sometimes my heart beats in between the normal cycle. Because HRM's use
>> a relatively short time to measure beats per minute, one or a couple of
>> the "extra" beats can lead to alarmingly high max rates displayed on the
>> HRM. I have learned to ignore the max display.

> This often happens when people are doing lots of exercise, so ignoring the
> max display is probably a good idea for all of us.

I thought some HRMs were kind enough to ignore that? I too suffer from
this sometimes, but annoyingly it's never registered on my cheap Polar
HRM :) It looks as though my Polar thinks about the last five or so
alleged beats before deciding what to consider my heart rate as
being. It's never given me a suspicious reading.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]