narrow front hubs?

In trying to refit a Raleigh Twenty, I'd like to keep the forks but fit
a new wheel. The front forks on the Twenty have a 90mm spacing, which
precludes most present-day hubs.

Are there any older hubs or others (aside from some smaller Brompton or
Dahon -- 75 mm) that could be used to build up a wheel for these forks?
-P

On 11 Feb 2006 16:31:05 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>In trying to refit a Raleigh Twenty, I'd like to keep the forks but fit
>a new wheel. The front forks on the Twenty have a 90mm spacing, which
>precludes most present-day hubs.
>
>Are there any older hubs or others (aside from some smaller Brompton or
>Dahon -- 75 mm) that could be used to build up a wheel for these forks?

If you're not looking for anything particularly light, there are a
multitude of old 90mm (actually 91, but it's close enough) hubs on
ancient BSOs in places like thrift shops and bike graveyards. It's
common to find them on bike-boom department-store roadies.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

I have a really cheaply made Redline-branded cartridge 3/8" BMX hub
that uses a pair of locknuts tightened against each other on each end
of the hub. If you replaced all the locknuts with really thin ones it
could easily be respaced to 90. Mine is kinda messed up, but I bet you
could find one of these, or another low-end cartridge hub that works
similarly.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In trying to refit a Raleigh Twenty, I'd like to keep the forks but fit
> a new wheel. The front forks on the Twenty have a 90mm spacing, which
> precludes most present-day hubs.
>
> Are there any older hubs or others (aside from some smaller Brompton or
> Dahon -- 75 mm) that could be used to build up a wheel for these forks?
> -P

Maybe www.yellowjersey.org could help you out. They sell Eastman Roadster
parts, etc. which are copies of the old Raliegh bikes.
www.sheldonbrown.com also sells some parts for old Ralieghs as well, through
their Harris Cyclry shop.

[email protected] wrote:
> In trying to refit a Raleigh Twenty, I'd like to keep the forks but fit
> a new wheel. The front forks on the Twenty have a 90mm spacing, which
> precludes most present-day hubs.
>
> Are there any older hubs or others (aside from some smaller Brompton or
> Dahon -- 75 mm) that could be used to build up a wheel for these forks?
> -P

Go to a decent bike shop and 'cold set' the forks to 100mm......

[email protected] wrote:
> In trying to refit a Raleigh Twenty, I'd like to keep the forks but fit
> a new wheel. The front forks on the Twenty have a 90mm spacing, which
> precludes most present-day hubs.
>
> Are there any older hubs or others (aside from some smaller Brompton or
> Dahon -- 75 mm) that could be used to build up a wheel for these forks?

Most fronts can be smaller with thinner locknuts, removing
the vestigal washer.
You could also have the fork alignment checked, ending at 100mm.
Both are commonly done on Twenties, which have a cult following:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/TWENTY3.JPG
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> In trying to refit a Raleigh Twenty, I'd like to keep the forks but fit
>> a new wheel. The front forks on the Twenty have a 90mm spacing, which
>> precludes most present-day hubs.
>>
>> Are there any older hubs or others (aside from some smaller Brompton or
>> Dahon -- 75 mm) that could be used to build up a wheel for these forks?

> Most fronts can be smaller with thinner locknuts, removing the vestigal
> washer.
> You could also have the fork alignment checked, ending at 100mm.
> Both are commonly done on Twenties, which have a cult following:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/TWENTY3.JPG
> --

....that's one nice frame...!
peter